Headed to Dollywood over Memorial Weekend!

We go to Dollywood every year at least once.  We love it there.   We have stayed in some of the cabins and sometimes in the campgrounds.  We are going July 6th to the 13th and staying in a campground. (can't afford the cabins now).   I love the mountains.  We also plan to visit Ghost Town and Maggie Valley as it will open Memorial Day we hear.   I have been in constant contact with those who know when and what was going on with the re opening of Ghost Town.  I love that place.  

You will enjoy Dollywood.  Is is so laid back and not too big but not easy to push wheel chairs around.  The shows are fabulous. :jumpforjoy

There are a lot of rides for children.  Ours are unable to take advantage of them due to them being in wheel chairs and they are much too heavy to lift them out and onto a ride.There are several rides for older ones.  They are roller coasters, etc.  You will find something for everyone in Dollywood.    Just do not expect it to be another WDW.  It is far from it but I love the place.   Judy

Your so lucky. The smoky mountains are one of our favorite places. Unfortunately we had to cancel our annual 4th of July trip this year due to work. Dollywood is our favorite theme park. We would choose it over Disney any day (just our opinion). The small park feel, the awesome hospitality and the beautiful surroundings make it an awesome park. Pigeon Forge has all your touristy things but it's still real cool. For restaurants the smoky mountain brewery in Gatlinburg is a must, JT Hanna's in Pigeon Forge is a great place for the price and we have never had a bad steak at the Alamo steak house. I have a trip report on here from a year or so ago with pics of all the places to see including Dollywood. Have fun and bring back some pics. I am so jealous....lol

We usually camp in Pigeon Forge at the following:

KOA http://pigeonforgekoa.com/

Clayboughs http://www.claboughcampground.com/index.php

KOA is a little higher than most of the Campgrounds in this area. I do not know why! They all seem about the same to me. But we usually wait around to the others are not available and camp at KOA , paying a higher price. This year I was a little smarter and called ahead and reserved Clayboughs.

These are in Pigeon Forge and near Dollywood, restaurants, shopping, other atractions,  etc., We rarely camp up in the mountains without the water and electric. Just isn't really my thing! We  prefer to camp in Pigeon Forge and just drive up into the mountains and hike, wade the creeks, picnic or whatever, then return back to our camper with some conveniences and a pool

We only live about 1 hour from Pigeon Forge  so we get the passes every year to  Dollywood and Splash Country. The last few years we've camped over Memorial Weekend.    

There is alot for the children to do even small toddlers.

http://www.dollywood.com/themepark/rides.aspx#/&&/wEXAQUFc3RhdGUF7gEjI2RkbEZlc3RpdmFscyVTaW5nbGVTZWxlY3QlIyNkZGxMb2NhdGlvbiVTaW5nbGVTZWxlY3QlIyNyYmxIZWlnaHRzJVNpbmdsZVNlbGVjdCUzOSMjY2JsVHlwZXMlTXVsdGlwbGVTZWxlY3QlZjRmNTIwMmItOWVlZi00ZDVmLTk0ZDktY2IxNTE5YTVmYTk4X2JkZWJiMDMzLTQ1NTEtNDJmOC04ODNjLTdiZjliNjczZGQ5ZF83NzRhMTgyNC0yOThhLTQ4NjctODViNC04OGExOTJkNzJlZWEjI3VjUGFnZXIlUGFnZXIlMSMjS+i434gAs5R7hNJIWQXiwEfhXvY=

BTW, thanks.... now you made me look into it, and now I REALLY want to go. How many days do you stay? Do we need more than one?

We've camped at the KOA there and liked it.

We liked KOA too. But for some reason it is a little higher. It does have some pull thru sites for really big rigs, though.

I think going to Dollywood can be a good week end trip and anyone would need at least 1 day for Dollywood and 1 day if they go to  Dollys Splash Country. But Pigeon Forge has alot of other attractions, shopping and restaurants,  if you want to spend the time and money. If you don't want to spend more extra money but want to stay longer than a weekend, we always enjoy fixing a cooler of sandwhiches and drinks and taking off across the mountains exploring the creeks and trails. We enjoy going to Cades Cove for an afternoon sometimes.

Smokey Mountain Navigator

http://www.smokymountainnavigator.com/index.asp?mid=67

We will be there July 6 to the 13th.  We are staying at River Plantation RV Park.  You could probably see all of Dollywood in one day but it would be nice to set aside 2 days if you want to see all the shows.  Sometimes the ones I want to see are at the same time so we have to see one each day.  We are there for a week so we make about 4 tripes to D/W as we do not spend all day there.  Pushing the wheel chairs and stroller (4) takes a toll on us old folks.  ^-^   We also drive to Maggie Valley, NC while we are there to see the sights.   We have camped at the KOA but we did not enjoy it as much.  Not enough shady areas for me.  We have also camped at a couple of other places in the area and liked all of them.

You will love the area and Dollywood.   Oh, there is a big outlet mall there too.  We love shopping there.  They even have a Disney Store.

We will be there July 6 to the 13th.  We are staying at River Plantation RV Park.  You could probably see all of Dollywood in one day but it would be nice to set aside 2 days if you want to see all the shows.  Sometimes the ones I want to see are at the same time so we have to see one each day.  We are there for a week so we make about 4 tripes to D/W as we do not spend all day there.  Pushing the wheel chairs and stroller (4) takes a toll on us old folks.  ^-^   We also drive to Maggie Valley, NC while we are there to see the sights.   We have camped at the KOA but we did not enjoy it as much.  Not enough shady areas for me.  We have also camped at a couple of other places in the area and liked all of them.

You will love the area and Dollywood.   Oh, there is a big outlet mall there too.  We love shopping there.  They even have a Disney Store.

Last year when we were at Dollywood, if you bought a single day ticket you could bring the ticket back the next day and get free admission.  This year they have some after 3pm deals.  here is the link to the Dollywood special offers:

http://www.dollywood.com/Deals/Special-Offers.aspx

Even though we go only once a year...usually...we buy the season pass for all of us.  This is cheaper than if we bought for just the days we would be there on one trip.   I also get the Gold Pass so that parking is free.  If you park a couple of days you have paid for the pass and can keep on using it all year.   Since we are going in July this year, we will probably make another trip sometime before Thanksgiving so we can enjoy the cooler weather.

• 2 weeks later...