CKCK 6.0-June 11-17 at the Fort...BAM!

Okay, we're going to see if I've gotten my TR mojo back and can post pics on the first try.  

Still Day 1...

If you have read CKCK 1 through 5.0, you would know that we are foodie wannabees.  DW reads about food ALL. THE. TIME.  Seriously.  Especially WDW food.  It’s ridiculous.  

Fortunately, she always has the low down on where to go and what to order.  

For the most part.  

We had originally had ADRs for Artist Point to celebrate our anniversary before the girls came down.  She wanted the smoked mushroom soup.

Sounded gross to me.

We ended up canceling our reservations and decided to save money and just go over for dessert.  

Worked for me.

We had never been to the lounge, so we were looking forward to it.  We were doing it bagless, so the pics are iphone pics in low light.

Deal.

9094842555_f8de3a7658.jpg

9094843163_976c21f1d6.jpg

9097073388_0f9635b7db.jpg

Our mission was to get the drunken doughnuts, aka, cinnamon shake in the bag doughnuts of mess.  

Seriously, this did not sound like a clean endeavor.  Kinda was reminding me of sand.

Since the mission was food related, we didn’t have any ideas about drinks.

So we winged it.

DW got the Scottish Raspberry Lemon Drop, and I opted for the Strawberry Julep. 

9097074478_db0c7f921c.jpg

9097075410_b600ec6e8b.jpg

Now that I think about it, that sounds kinda girly.  At the time it sounded like a good idea.

When we got them, there sure was a lot of pink.

9097073726_a31ef44415.jpg

Turns out, the julep’s looks were deceiving.  This was no strawberry drink.  

It was pink bourbon.

For real.  

That’s it.  The menu may say other stuff, but it was just pink bourbon.  

When our doughnuts came, our waitress said the best way to eat them was to dump on them on the plate and make a mess.

Oh, you mean just like sand.

9097076076_c9165eb600.jpg

They came with a dipping sauce that was grand marnier, sugar, and butter.

9094846919_2d9b85ac0b.jpg

The cool thing about these doughnuts was that not only did they taste good and have a good dipping sauce, but they came with the doughnut holes!

Bam.

So, there we are, enjoying our post-doughnut fullness.  All is well.  Except that I still have about half of my pink bourbon left. 

Then my wife gets to talking with the waitress and finds out that they can get food from Artist Point, and that the kitchen was open until 9:30.  

It was just after 9:00.

It was so on.

9094847537_f77de338d2.jpg

Not only did she hook us up with the mushroom soup, but she put it in a larger bowl to fit more in it.  

I despise mushrooms, but this soup was good.  Tasted like there was bacon in it.

There wasn’t.

But I thought there was, so therefore I liked it.

9097077998_a5a559e85f.jpg

So did she.

On a side note, DW made that very same soup tonight in the CKCK house.

9098224708_58c45e8f52.jpg

Not sure why it looks pink, because it wasn’t.  It was good.  Nearly as good as the real stuff.  DW didn’t like the flavor of the wood we used to smoke the mushrooms.  That’s how you get the bacon flavor, by the way.  

Disclaimer: we do not smoke mushrooms.  We did, however, smoke fungi for our soup.

Weird.

Don’t do drugs.

Before we left the lodge all together, we had one more thing to do.

9094848765_4aa542c30d.jpg

Duh.

9094849411_585bb09943.jpg

More duh.

Had to get my magic cookie bars for post dessert dessert and breakfast the next morning. 

That deserves a big BAM.

The next morning we were heading to DHS ropedrop where we had to pick up a couple new AP’s and purchase one for DD3.  I also dominated on the financial winning again, tried more new food, went to our first Animation Academy, and did other cool things.  

We are just starting to pick up steam.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My kids are from the UPS man, I don't judge

I’m also subtitling this TR, “Welcome back, CKCK.”     Kinda like “Welcome back, Kotter,” except not.     If you want, you can sing the theme song and think of me.     Or not.   If you don’t know the

I think it was Ben Frankin who once said, "Magic Cookie Bars are proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy". 

Well done!

I have been wanting to try those Drunken' Donuts ever since I first heard of them.  Haven't quite made it yet, although I've gotten close a couple of times.

I hate to break it to you, but that mushroom soup you made is definitely pink.  I think you used the wrong kind of mushrooms, and you just didn't realize it at the time.

Magic cookie bars for breakfast?

Genius.

TCD

oops,almost forgot . . .

BAM!

I'm boycotting this TR until Mr anonymous wiseguy, CKCK aka CKCK, graces us with a first name.

I would think that his anonymous strategy is down the drain as he's posted pics of himself.

BTW, if you hate sand/coquina so much, why did you get a site with so much of it?

I'm boycotting this TR until Mr anonymous wiseguy, CKCK aka CKCK, graces us with a first name.

I would think that his anonymous strategy is down the drain as he's posted pics of himself.

BTW, if you hate sand/coquina so much, why did you get a site with so much of it?

Looks like a Todd or a Mike. Pick one and we can call him that.

We were in site 922. It had the Pirate & UK flags along with a flock of purple mingos.  And our official sign. :)

Drunkin Donuts was on our list but we didn't make it over there this time other than for brunch.  The boys had breakfast and I waited the few minutes until the turned over to lunch for a salad.  I love that salad.  Not sure why, but I dream about that salad.

Nice call on going with the best of the best and not paying out the nose for what you don't want.

I could live with pink bourbon .....  I'm just sayin...    Magic cookie bars for breakfast ?   My daughter would worship me and the wife would murder me.    Who are we kidding... great idea and it will happen in July...    Nice photos from the I phone...BAM !

Bacon, mushrooms, magic cookie bars...doughnuts...

Maybe greatest TR segment ever...

Puh POW

It was a pretty good culinary night.

I see what you're going with the puh pow.  I expect a new onomatopoeia for every comment you make during this TR.

Those doughnuts look amazing! I don't eat mushrooms, so I'll pass on the soup.

I'm excited for you guys that you got some alone time, but I'm a little upset that we have to wait for cute redhead pics.

I don't like mushrooms either, but it made me a believer.  

And don't worry about the reds.  There will be plenty of pics!  Just have to build the anticipation.

Wow.  Magic mushroom soup AFTER doughnuts.  Only you could pull that off. 

And your earlier comment about food choices has me wondering....did you go to the tea party and bring a GAG with you?

I know, right!

GAG at HTT is actually a fantastic idea, but no, not this time.  It does relate to a GAG in a way though.  

Well done!

I have been wanting to try those Drunken' Donuts ever since I first heard of them.  Haven't quite made it yet, although I've gotten close a couple of times.

I hate to break it to you, but that mushroom soup you made is definitely pink.  I think you used the wrong kind of mushrooms, and you just didn't realize it at the time.

Magic cookie bars for breakfast?

Genius.

TCD

oops,almost forgot . . .

BAM!

Yeah, I think my wife got those mushrooms from some sketchy guy behind the grocery store...

Magic cookie bars fit in every food group and every meal of the day.

As much as I would love you to boycot this TR, it wouldn't help anything since you won't read it anyway.

And I got a site with lots of sand as a challenge.  If I declare war on sand, how can I run away from it?

Chris

Kim

Caroline

Kinley

BAM!

TCD

TCD = 1

Crotchety Bus Pilot = 0

We were in site 922. It had the Pirate & UK flags along with a flock of purple mingos.  And our official sign. :)

Drunkin Donuts was on our list but we didn't make it over there this time other than for brunch.  The boys had breakfast and I waited the few minutes until the turned over to lunch for a salad.  I love that salad.  Not sure why, but I dream about that salad.

Nice call on going with the best of the best and not paying out the nose for what you don't want.

Totally missed you.  Guess we didn't go through the 900 loop enough.  

What salad is so good?  Must have bacon in it.

Magic Cookie Bars for dessert AND breakfast! Double BAM!  

That's what I'm talking about.

I think it was Ben Frankin who once said, "Magic Cookie Bars are proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy". 

I had forgotten that quote.  Totally adding that to my favorite quotes list. 

I could live with pink bourbon .....  I'm just sayin...    Magic cookie bars for breakfast ?   My daughter would worship me and the wife would murder me.    Who are we kidding... great idea and it will happen in July...    Nice photos from the I phone...BAM !

Some advice: I ended up putting the leftover cookie bars in the fridge because I was afraid they would be soggy the next morning.  It worked well, and I even had enough left for TWO breakfasts.

Bam.

Let's get going into the next day a little.

Day 2: Wednesday, June 12.

After my magic cookie bar breakfast (of champions), we headed over to DHS for ropedrop and AP pickup.  We got there super early (how we roll).  I had to pick up new APs for DW and DD5, and purchase a new one for DD3.

For those of you who have ever bought an AP for a 3 year old, you will understand my agony.  

Over $600 for a 3 year old?  Even I think I’m crazy.  

But, for the number of days we will be there in the next year, it’s worth it.

But it’s ridiculous.  

While the CM was working on our stuff, she realized that the AP renewal discounts had gone up since I had renewed.  For some reason, that meant we got a refund.

Bam!

So I got about $22 on a Disney gift card...that didn’t last long, but sure was nice!

Here are some sights of the morning.

9094851693_989284404d.jpg

9094852297_02b29a8b26.jpg

9097082578_55cdeb8cb2.jpg

As has become standard for most parks other than the MK, they let us in early.  

9094853197_6b7f7b5234.jpg

I kind of expected them to do a second rope drop in the park, but they let us go free.

9097083666_7d8207dee8.jpg

I am anti run through the park to get to TSM.  I think it’s absolutely ridiculous to watch grown people running down the street with their kids in tow while CMs yell at them to not run just so they can get to the fastpass machine 30 seconds before the next person.

Seriously people?  

Slow freaking down!  Getting there 30 seconds before the next person is not going to make that big of a difference!  Chill out!  Just walk and be normal.

Regardless, we headed down to RnR since the girls were not with us. 

When we got there they weren’t letting us in the ride yet.  

9094854195_a80a6dc049.jpg

Luckily we were within the first 20 people there, because the line quickly grew behind us.

About 5 minutes later they let us in. Sweet.

When we got to the recording studio part of the queue, it all fell apart.  The CM there started freaking out, asking us why we were there.  She got on the phone and started yelling at someone about why they were already letting us in the ride, as they weren’t ready.

doh.

So she clumsily tried to back us out of the room so she could close the doors.  She was not a people manager.  

Finally we got through and up to the ride.

9097086514_d2b083970f.jpg

9094857555_8be14a407d.jpg

It was 8:58 and we were nearly on.  Not too bad of a start.

Unfortunately, we were so early that they hadn’t gotten the ride cameras working yet.  So instead of seeing me sticking my tongue out at my wife while she was holding on for dear life, we saw an empty track.  

fail.

Did you know there is a victory garden at DHS?

9094858193_2973c66800.jpg

There is.  

They even have a scary scarecrow straight out of WWII.

9094858821_b675567713.jpg

It’s actually kind of creepy if you ask me.

9097089170_334652dddd.jpg

9094860091_03c5b99284.jpg

Did you know they have little war vignettes at the condiment station?

9097090310_603d21dc7d.jpg

They do.

We were on our way to the animation academy, and I saw the topiary lady outside the Brown Derby.

9094860963_520381d5e3.jpg

See how she has plastic underneath the plant to catch the clippings?  

Genius.  

That’s it for now.  Next we’ll make our first animation drawings, begin to uncover some new (to us) mysteries, and of course try some new food!  

is that guy above the start of the zombie apocalypse?

Which guy?  The scarecrow or Uncle Sam?  I'm guessing the scarecrow.  

Could be.

Great TR.   Want more!!!

Kah Rack!!!

Thanks!  

Not sure about kah rack though.  Maybe it will grow on me.

Well if this is how you jump back in after going missing, then you should go away more often...

Kidding!!

BAM!

Umm...thanks?  I'll be sure to go away more often!  

Still Day 2:

Animation time!

I have to admit, I never really knew much about the animation academy.  It really wasn’t until I started reading about it in you-know-who’s trip reports.  

Not having the girls with us yet, this was the perfect time to try it out.

I forget our artist’s name, but she was good.  I loved the whole thing.  

Air conditioning.

Low lights.

Soft speaking artist teaching us to draw.

I totally dug it.  

We drew Daisy.  We got to vote, and the voting came down between Daisy and Stitch.

Who in the Fort wants to draw Stitch?  

???

I wish Stitch would finally make his great escape and get out of here.

That was harsh.

So Daisy it was.

Here’s what she was supposed to look like:

9097091006_73aea8de96.jpg

Here was DW’s:

9094862467_59978acaab.jpg

Not too shabby.  

Here was mine:

9097091784_684e9ceb49.jpg

Now I don’t know about you, but I think I pretty much

ROCKED it.

Though I do have to say that she was relatively easy to draw.  Not that I have drawn others, I just think that she probably was one of the more simple ones.  

We will definitely be back for more.

When we left we decided to head to the Backlot Tour.  We had wanted to ride it for the past few trips but it was always closed for rain or something else.  My wife had memories of riding it many years ago, so we wanted to check it out.

On the way there I snapped this:

9094862791_2f86917e19.jpg

Not really understanding those.

At this point it was 9:51.

9094863911_f89796569d.jpg

Here was the return on TSM fast passes:

9094863251_17aee1815e.jpg

Fortunately we were not in the market for any of those today.

We finally made it to the Backlot Tour.  I thought it was okay.  I liked seeing some of the things on it, but I also thought there was a lot of crap.  

We had to watch their little “movie filming” thing first.  

The people they picked to be in it really irritated me.  I kind of wished the guy in the engine room would have washed away.

9097094060_158f46776e.jpg

9097094408_6955086902.jpg

I also kind of dug the little prop storage room thingy, but wished I could have browsed a bit more.

9094865033_dbf9894455.jpg

9094865625_16db2cfcd7.jpg

9097095706_412b7e10ed.jpg

I don’t think this garbage truck was supposed to be on the tour.

9094866355_99b31f80ec.jpg

This looked like a practice area for the Lights Motors Action show.

9097096440_2c89a1eea2.jpg

I have always wanted to see that show, but we are never in the park long enough for it to start.  For some reason it doesn’t start until around 1:00 or something.  I think that’s crazy.  I’m sure there is a reason for it, but I haven’t figured it out yet.  

We saw the fake P-40s that were used in “Pearl Harbor.”  

9094868101_154a099167.jpg

They didn’t look real at all up close, but from far away I thought they were real.

9097098540_4dab37469b.jpg

We really enjoyed the part where the tram went through the building with the seamstresses, designers, and set builders.  Wished it would have slowed down!

9094869181_1313355a0d.jpg

9097099432_2ea5375bc9.jpg

I have no idea what this thing is from:

9094870289_b948c76195.jpg

See that space shippy thing over there?

9094870997_bef25d1495.jpg

I immediately recognized that from “Flight of the Navigator.”  I always kind of liked that movie, but it has been years since I’ve seen it.  I thought it was interesting that they still have a prop from it.

Turns out that there is another prop from that movie in Tomorrow Land.  I didn’t realize it until later on in the trip.  We’ll get to that later.

9097101020_db59d97364.jpg

My favorite part of the ride was coming up.  I had read about it before the trip so I knew it was coming.

9094873061_5e29ca3a32.jpg

Walt’s Gulfstream that he used to scope out land for Disney and that served the company for years after.  

My wife had recently found a really good article on the “Mouse” on the Disney parks blog.  I especially like the part that it landed on World Drive when they finally retired it.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/05/take-a-flight-back-in-time-with-the-mouse/

9097103262_8406fe6a45.jpg

I think it’s absolutely ridiculous that they have this storied plane sitting out in the elements.  They should at least put a roof over it.  Now it’s just baking away in the Florida sun and rain.  

Across from it is another plane.

9097104190_426cbed80b.jpg

These guys were underneath disaster canyon.

9094876871_3ef80b8c54.jpg

They’re kind of like the Fort’s brown paint guy, except they are the DHS gray paint guys.

Here’s a better pic of the Flight of the Navigator ship:

9097107814_2cc3a852e5.jpg

After that we were about done, and it was getting time to get back to the Fort to check on the dogs.  

Before we left we had to complete one other mission that had been on our list for awhile.  

9097108412_05b5cfa63d.jpg

Starring Rolls.  

Bam.

Butterfinger cupcake.

Bam again.

9097108764_5de295277d.jpg

That thing was huge.

And good.

We barely finished it though.  

Honestly, it would have been better if it hadn’t been about noon in the summer in Florida.  Give me that thing on a nice fall day with a big glass of milk and it will be in trouble.

And that ends our morning.  We headed back to the Fort to relax before heading to Epcot.

You know what that means.  

Food and drinks.

Bam.