Newbie here and to Fort Wilderness!

Hi all. This is my first post after lurking for a bit!  We are old timers to visiting Disney, but new to camping and to Fort Wilderness. We are really looking forward to our first trip to the Fort in October in our new travel trailer. 

I am adoptive mom to seven sweet kids, and my youngest four are special needs. All four of them are in wheelchairs and I have a couple of questions about what loops we should request.

We will need to use the comfort stations for showering the kids (assuming they have accessible stalls), so we need to be near a comfort station. Also need to be able to get to the bus stop fairly easily. I have two that want to fish as well!  Any suggestions on what a good location might be for us? 

Also, still new at pulling a travel trailer and we are definitely not "pros" at backing into spots yet! Our trailer is 30 ft long. We did request a premium spot and let the reservationist know that we do have wheelchairs with us. Is it correct that all spots are back in? What are the easiest loops to back into spots? 

Any and all suggestions for making things easier for the kids would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Welcome!! 

While I can't answer your questions with anything more than "good guesses", like Kelly said, Judy and Ken will be able to answer those and more.  They might not jump in right away, as they are out in their RV right now and had some mechanical issues to deal with last night, but one or both will be along to help with your questions.  (They are "Retired and Happy" and "Retired and Tired" on the boards). 

Welcome Angela!

I'm sure there will be plenty of people along with suggestions, but I can point you to some of our Info Pages that might also be helpful.

Here's the page that gives you lots of good loop/site info. If you have a mobile phone, definitely check out the Sites at Fort Wilderness site app (link on this page also). In addition to photos and site specs, it gives you an estimate on how easy/hard sites are to back into.

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/accomodations/loop-information/site-classifications-r61

The Site Map page has the listing of link to the sites near comfort stations pages...

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/info/site-map-find-what-you-need-here-r99

Info on fishing...

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/activities/fishing-r198

Info on Loop/Site requests...

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/accomodations/loopsite-requests-r125

Welcome!  I'll be back to post a few more thoughts but have to head out for a doctor's appointment.  We also have a T/T and I'm mom to 2 kids, one of them special needs.  We've been camping for 2 years now and are weekend campers to the Fort about every other month.  Didn't want to not say hi, but do have to run...be back and post later!!

Welcome.  :welcome2:   I am sorry for not posting earlier but we are on vacation in Tn. and never seem to stop until after midnight.  Right now it is 1:23 am.  I typed a long answer a few nights ago and it would not post so I gave up.  We have adopted 5 children with special needs, medically fragile but 3 of them have gone to Heaven.  I always say they traded their wheel chairs for Angel wings.  We were in the process of adopting another 1 year old when he suddenly passed away.  We usually take those who are very, very fragile.  Our two are now 15 and 17.  One came into the world at 23 weeks weighing 21 ounces and now weighs about 170 pounds and is on no medical equipment except his wheel chair which he propels on his own.  Our daughter arrived in this world at 26 weeks weighing 2 1/2 pounds and she is the most fragile of the 2.  They both have CP and Seizures and she has Hydrocephalus, Microcephaly, is G Tube fed, has sleep apnea and needs oxygen from time to time.  We adore them and are so thankful God chose us to be their forever parents.  I have fostered 55 children thus far.  We are hoping to adopt the 5 month old we have now and perhaps a little 11 month old we just found out about. Yep, still going strong at 70 and 72.

Visiting Disney is not a handicap with children who have special needs.  They are only a few rides they can enjoy unless they are still small enough for you to left them out of their chairs and onto the rides.   They can ride, in their chairs, Small World, Ariel's Ride, Jungle Cruise, Great Movie Ride, The Back Lot Tour, Nemo's Ride, Living with the Land and the Carousel of Progress.   However some of those only have a place for one wheel chair at a time so you will have to ride several times.

When you first get to the world, go to the Magic Kingdom and get an access pass from City Hall.  It will get you help from the hosts at each venue if you need help.  It does not mean you will always be taken to the front of the line but sometimes they will offer to do that.  You will need an access pass for one of the chairs and that can cover a total of 6 people.  So you will need to take 2 children in their chairs in so they can see them and then you will be covered for all of you.  Also be sure to ask for the red tag if any of your chairs do not look like a wheel chair.  We have one so they always tag it.

As for transportation....that can be a big problem.  They have some newer buses that accomodate 3 wheel chairs (tie downs) but most of them still only accomodate 2.  Even when we have only 3 we have to take 2 different buses. 

Loops 100 and 200 are the closest to the Marina and the Settlement (boats from the Marina will take you to the Magic Kingdom) and they are near the comfort stations and laundry and yes they do have a handicapped accessible bath stall.  Loop 1400 is closest to the Meadows activity area and the trading Post.  Comfort station near by too.  1300 & 1500 are probably the closest to the pools.

I hope this is of some help to you.  If you have other questions, please do let us know.   We love Disney are our children just light up when they see WDW.....we do too. 

Hope we get to meet your wonderful family sometime.  God Bless You All.

We have traveled for many years with our special kids, and this would have been nearly impossible without a MH (or other RV).  We have added a chairlift to the side near the door to move the kids from their ground level wheelchairs to the floor level of the the MH.  We have added an Add-A-Room for sheltering the chairs and for any overnight visitors we may have.  We tow an enclosed trailer to carry a golf cart for mobility around the Fort.  The trailer is also handy for carrying a rack of oxygen tanks, cases of diapers, liners, wipes, formula and baby food, and the necessary obnoxious Christmas inflatable decorations.  :rofl3:   Most of our travel has been annual trips to WDW, with some shorter trips to the Dollywood area in TN.

As Judy mentioned above, we currently have four kids (DS17, DD15, FS14mo, and FD5mo), but we have taken five to the Fort in the past, probably when we were younger and crazier.  Four wheelchairs+ are not easy for two people to push, but we managed.

All this said, we would not consider visiting WDW (or other location) without our MH and other paraphenalia. 

Although some loops share comfort stations, most site are releatively close to one.  You should include the desire to be near a CS in your reservation.  Everyy CS consists of a men's restroom, a women's restroom, and a laundry.  There are several shower stalls in each section, including an accessible stall, which is larger than the standard stall for maneuvering a chair.  The laundry has (I believe) five washers and six dryers, each of which eats eight quarters per load.  There is a change machine which will change a $1 or $5 USD into quarters.  We collect quarters all year for the occasion.  There is also an ice machine outside one end of the CS with bags furnished.  The ice machine also eats 8 quarters a bag.  Ice is also available from either of two Trading Posts (one at the Meadows (mid-campground) and the Settlement (near the Marina).  I understand the bags are biggers and the ice is colder, and therefore lasts longer. 

I don't know if you have any special food requirements, but the GAG is a popular fried chicken dinner for take-out from the Trails End resturant in the Settlement.

There is a bus depot near the Settlement and another at the Outpost (where you checked in).  Busses to all parks except MK leave from the Outpost.  MK is accessed by boat from the Marina.  Boats from the left side of the dock can handle wheelchairs.  We also go to Epcot by boat to MK, Ferry to the TTC, and monorail to EPCOT.  This is at least in part due to the desires of our 17 year old.

Enough for now.  Ask any other questions you may have.  And I appreciate the support shown by other members of this panel for my wife and me.  We do what we can for our children.

• 1 month later...

Welcome and have a great trip! God bless you and your babies!

Just a suggestion... Take the TT to an empty shopping center parking lot and practice backing it into a parking space. Shopping carts make good obstacles. And the best advice I received years ago about backing a trailer is that Slow is your friend. Take your time backing up even if someone is waiting on you to move. And if all else fails ask for help. There should be a lot of Fiends at the Fort in October.

Hello and welcome!  Your family will have a great time!  We're new to the Trailer life and have learned to go slow and try not to get frustrated.  While at the Fort recently I met a wonderful lady in the laundry room on the 500 loop who also had special needs children.  We spoke for over an hour about our experiences and she was very happy about Disneys accommodations.  I do not have special needs children but I did teach in a special needs environment before deciding to stay home with my girls.  My daughter has severe food and other allergies that makes it difficult to travel.  I am extremely pleased on how Disney takes care of our needs and from what I saw at the parks and Fort, you will be happy too!  We'll also be there at the end of October and would love to say "hello"!

For those going in October, we will be there from October 12th to October 22nd! Would love to meet anyone who wants to say hi!  I am going to order a Fort Fiends sign so we will be easy to spot! The FF app with sites is just awesome as are all the videos of the loops! We are thinking we may ask for the 1300 or 1200 loop near the comfort station. Both of those locations look to be close to bus stop as well. We will be driving our wheelchair accessible van with lift to the parks as we have four in wheelchairs to transport. Our last trip to Disney was in 2009 and we only had two in wheelchairs at that time, one who could push himself and one my husband or I had to push. We have adopted two more since that trip and with four (two who can push themselves and two who can't) we figured now was the time to go to a travel trailer, both for medical supplies AND for transport! Our older daughter will be with us to help push our two little girls and our two boys with Spina Bifida are pretty self sufficient and able to push themselves most everywhere. The boys are our little fishermen too, so they are looking forward to doing some fishing. I am hoping there are some locations where they might be able to fish from their wheelchairs?? 

Again, thanks so much for all the great info and looking forward to maybe meeting some of you in October!

Angela

Angela.  I'm not too familiar with the access to fishing, but I know it is a popular activity there.  All fishing is catch and release.

We have stayed in the 1200 loop several times.  1200 and 1300 share a CC, but that has never been a problem for us.  We have a shower chair in our MH that I often shower DS17 on.  Not easy, but maybe easier than taking him to the CS.  DD15 usually gets bed baths at the Fort.  Some of those 1200 sites seem to be larger than others, with plenty of room for our MH and cargo trailer.  We have a 17 year old son (DS17) who can propel his own chair, but usually won't, and a 15 year old girl (DD15) who is total care.  If I may ask, what are the sex and ages of your children.  I am so happy to hear of someone else who has opened their home to those with special needs.  Wish we were going to be there in October, but it looks like Christmas/New Years will be our time at the Fort.

We are trading up to a newer MH and need to get our Chair Lift re-installed before the Christmas trip.  I've got a few fix-ups to get done also.  LP detector was 9 years old, and one slide topper was without fabric....not too effective. 

If you are a TV watcher, you will need the newer flatscreen tv's or access to Disney's converter boxes to get cable at the Fort.  The converters are available at the meadows Trading Post.  Some say they just need ID, some say a credit card deposit, which is returned when you turn the kit back in.   We will need Disney's converter.  I had just finished putting new TV's in the MH we are getting rid of, and the newer MH has the old style TV's.

Enough for now.  You must be about ready to go.  Have a safe and enjoyable trip.  Display your sign and you will likely see others around the Fort.

Ken, we have DS24 and DD20 who are healthy and both in the army (one in VA and one in GA). We have one angel in Heaven. And we have four at home: DD12 (Hydranencephaly, seizures and CP = total care), DS11(Spina Bifida, very able to push himself and very active!), DS4(Spina Bifida, also active though gets tired so will need to be pushed some) and DD who is 19 mos (Hydranencephaly, DI, Adrenal Insufficiency and CP = total care). They are all sweet kids and we are so blessed to be their parents!  I hope we get to meet you and Judy some day. Would love to chat about our mutual experiences!! 

Our DD20 is taking leave from the army and will meet us at the Fort. We are happy to see her AND happy she will be there to help!  It will be a real experience trying to do this trip with four wheelchairs!  Should be memorable!! LOL

Angela