Disney Coloring Pages

For those (young and not so young) who enjoy coloring, this website has tons of free Disney coloring pages.  The links at the bottom of the main page go to coloring pages for specific Disney movies and characters:

http://disneycoloringpages.net/

I'm glad you posted that Judy. It gives me the chance to post something I've been meaning to do.

Using any one of the drawings from that website, here's something to try if want something that you'll be able to frame that's made by the kids, and you, or just you.

You'll need to pick up some 8-1/2 X 11 Transparency Film at the office supply store. It's what's used to make presentations for use in overhead projectors.

You'll also need Acrylic paint that you can buy at any store that sells Arts & Crafts supplies, Walmart is one. The drawing you selected will determine what colors you'll need. Also pick up a package of cheap brushes in various widths.

You don't have to be artistic to do this, so dive in, the results might surprise you.

Put one sheet of the transparency film in a copier, and copy the selected drawing. Do a test run on plain paper first just to make sure it's what you want. The Transparency Film is pricy, so you don't want to experiment with it.

Do not try this on a cheap copier as you want crisp, sharp lines. If you have a good scanner, that also works.

Assuming the previous step was successful, and working on the non image side of the Transparency, apply the paint onto the film. You'll notice I said apply it, and not paint it. Put it on thick, and using a brush, push the paint covering part of the line, but not going past it. Don't worry if it does go past the line. You have to work quickly as the paint dries fast. After it dries, you can use something that is made out of plastic that has a sharp edge to gently scrape the excess paint back to the line. Flip the sheet over after each color to inspect it, because once you apply the next color, you can't make corrections to a previous color, so get each area as you want it before moving on.

Let the kids apply one color, you scrape off the excess, and filling in of any unpainted areas. Do this one color at a time. When completed, flip it over, and if you followed the instructions, used a little care, you should have a decent looking Faux animation cell.

If you decide to frame it, use white or colored paper to back it.

I'd start with a simple one character drawing, maybe puppy Pluto or baby Minnie. Once you master the technique, try a scene, like the Snow White scene. Do it for Dave.

The process is called "Reverse Painting". It goes way back in time, and was normally done on glass, without the line drawing of course.

Lou:  Is there a type of brush you recommend for better results?

Nope, you won't be painting, you'll be pushing the paint into place, so as long as the brush fits into that area, you're all set.

And that's why you don't want to get the more expensive brushes.

If you do one, you'll see what I mean.

I just called one of the managers and asked if she had any transparencies stuck in the corner of her supplies area that she wouldn't be using.  She had one one of her employees drop off a dozen or so on his way to lunch.  Nice...

I'm guessing that's about $20 saved, unless you get hooked and need more than 12.

• 1 year later...