• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We walked over from Pop one night, for dinner. Art of Animation is a really cute resort - I bet kids just love being here! I was really impressed with the landscaping and how the plants really worked with each section. The plants in the water areas looked like underwater plants and in the Cars section, they looked like desert plants.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Apart from facade, is there a difference from this vs say Pop Century? The buildings look similar apart from that. That's the only value resort we've stayed at.

If you look at the photos, you will notice that the Cars, Nemo and Lion King buildings do not have exterior halls and entry doors that open to the outside.  The rooms in these buildings are all suites, including two bathrooms and a kitchenette.  And they're not cheap.

The Little Mermaid section is configured like typical value resorts- outside walkways and entries to the rooms.  So, only the Little Mermaid section is comparable to Pop Century and other value resorts.

TCD

Apart from facade, is there a difference from this vs say Pop Century? The buildings look similar apart from that. That's the only value resort we've stayed at.

At the Little Mermaid building, Art of Animation is identical to Pop Century as far as room size and the way they are laid out.

However, all the remaining buildings at Art of Animation are Suites. They have inside hallways, take up the real estate of two value sized rooms, and have a queen bed in a bedroom, they have a bath, a mini kitchenette, and some convertible bedding in the living room.

If you look at the photos, you will notice that the Cars, Nemo and Lion King buildings do not have exterior halls and entry doors that open to the outside.  The rooms in these buildings are all suites, including two bathrooms and a kitchenette.  And they're not cheap.

The Little Mermaid section is configured like typical value resorts- outside walkways and entries to the rooms.  So, only the Little Mermaid section is comparable to Pop Century and other value resorts.

TCD

At the Little Mermaid building, Art of Animation is identical to Pop Century as far as room size and the way they are laid out.

However, all the remaining buildings at Art of Animation are Suites. They have inside hallways, take up the real estate of two value sized rooms, and have a queen bed in a bedroom, they have a bath, a mini kitchenette, and some convertible bedding in the living room.

The reason being that the foundations for all the buildings, most, if not all, of the buildings in the Little Mermaid section, and I believe, the main lobby building were built years before as part as the second phase of the Pop Century resort called the "Legendary Years".

Plans for that phase were scrapped after 911 due to the reduction in tourism. The buildings in the completed section were painted brown and remained that way until AoA was built. 

I drove by those ugly brown buildings hundreds of times and I asked myself, why didn't they at least paint them green?

Pop Century's full name is "Pop Century, the Classic Years".

The reason being that the foundations for all the buildings, most, if not all, of the buildings in the Little Mermaid section, and I believe, the main lobby building were built years before as part as the second phase of the Pop Century resort called the "Legendary Years".

Plans for that phase were scrapped after 911 due to the reduction in tourism. The buildings in the completed section were painted brown and remained that way until AoA was built. 

I drove by those ugly brown buildings hundreds of times and I asked myself, why didn't they at least paint them green?

Pop Century's full name is "Pop Century, the Classic Years".

If I remember correctly, 2 of the 3 Little Mermaid buildings were built already (minus the elevator section, and stairwells), and the main building was completely finished. I believe housekeeping used it as staging for a long time.

Somewhere on the interwebs is a video of someone wandering through that section of Pop Century in it's "abandoned" years.

Good job finding the video.

I remember that I posted aerial photos showing the partial and final construction in an old thread. 

Here they are:

This is from October, 2005:

popOct2005.jpg

The two buildings on the top left of the lake are the ones shown in that video.

Here's the nearly completed project 8 years later.  The Little Mermaid section is the three buildings near the top, left of the lake (which includes the two shown in the photo posted above):

popJan2012.jpg

TCD

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...