• 5 months later...

Nigiri - top to bottom, shrimp, scallop, tuna, hamachi salmon, eel

14076401107_97771325e6_b.jpg

Lava Roll - Togarashi-spiced Tempura Shrimp, Bay Scallops, spicy Mayo, and Chives

This was from about a month ago, and was actually a little disappointing. When I've gotten this in the past there was a LOT more of the spicy scallops on top, and it also had lots of small, edible flowers instead of the one big one.

14260823972_1ab67a79bd_b.jpg

• 5 months later...

So... we went to Kona more than once this past trip.  B)

10404152_10205639089123703_4146328805929

The famous Kona bread with macadamia nut butter

10420196_10205639089403710_7707770934345

Charcuterie

10402058_10205639089563714_7383783847408

Caterpillar roll front, Lava roll behind, Volcano roll in the way back

10153662_10205639090043726_8493740834840

Volcano roll up close

10347632_10205639090283732_1839534107025

Caterpillar roll up close

10731031_10205639089843721_1908340942094

Tuna poke - I'd be happy if they served this in a bowl with a spoon.

Thank you for those pictures of the caterpillar roll. I'm taking my sister's 9 year old twin boys there for dinner in March while she and her husband have an anniversary dinner at Narcoossee's. One of the twins is just crazy for seafood of all kinds and I think that caterpillar roll will be a big hit. (Though his all time favorite is the seafood buffet at Cape May's.)

• 3 months later...

While my sister and her husband had an anniversary dinner at Narcoossee's, my Mom and I took the kids to Kona Café for dinner.

Piña colada for me, and you can see in the background the virgin piña colada and strawberry daiquiri the kids got.

7WuCDyel.jpg

Pot stickers. We had to order a second plate of these. One of the kids devoured all of the seaweed salad it's served with.

jQQLDB5l.jpg

Dark picture of some tasty chicken wings.

RgnTTSIl.jpg

Caterpillar roll. Interestingly enough my Mom and I had dinner a few days later at Jiko and sat at the cooking place. One of the chefs there, Erin, used to work at Kona and said if she never made another caterpillar roll again it would be too soon! Apparently they're a real pain to make. But they're darn tasty!

qGSBUKkl.jpg

Volcano roll.

Pffy456l.jpg

The sampler. 2 tuna pokes, sashimi, and California rolls I believe.

Kp3XS66l.jpg

One of the twins at this whole thing by himself! Cinnamon ice cream and apple tart.

FGISyYvl.jpg

Mom, other twin and I shared the chocolate fondue.

yqZlzSel.jpg

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Big menu change from a couple months ago when we last ate at Kona Cafe. Our favorites Pork Tacos and Teriyaki steak are gone [emoji24].

Chef came out and said there was no way they could make the pork tacos, but later when we went to Trader Sam's they had them on the menu. 1e719baed0830490a84326b94185afd8.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

On 6/11/2017 at 9:47 AM, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

...Chef came out and said there was no way they could make the pork tacos, but later when we went to Trader Sam's they had them on the menu.

That's crazypants.  AFAIK the food for Trader Sam's, Ohana, Tamu Lounge and Kona all comes out of the same kitchen.  And those pork tacos are fabulous. Here's hoping if enough people ask they'll get them back on the menu.

19 hours ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

They have also changed the Lapu Lapu, per our waitress they have stopped using the 151 and started putting Malibu in it. Not so good for someone with a coconut allergy. I'm not sure if it's a permanent change or what. But luckily we asked this time so they made it the old way without coconut.

That is also not so good for someone that likes a pricey,properly made rum drink in a pineapple.  :(

On 6/11/2017 at 9:47 AM, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

Big menu change from a couple months ago when we last ate at Kona Cafe. Our favorites Pork Tacos and Teriyaki steak are gone emoji24.png.

Chef came out and said there was no way they could make the pork tacos, but later when we went to Trader Sam's they had them on the menu. 1e719baed0830490a84326b94185afd8.jpg

When we last ate at Kona in May we were really disappointed.  Not only was the teriyaki steak gone (and replaced by a steak more than twice the price) the Asian Stir Fry which was still on the menu was dry and sticky; nowhere near as good as it used to be.  In addition, the service stunk.  They did not bring dinner rolls out, and when we asked after seeing other tables getting them, we were told that they weren't ready when we ordered so they figured we wouldn't want them.  My wife spoke to the manager who did nothing as well other than to apologize.  No free dessert or even a visit to the table to check on things.  To be fair, the menu was new then.  I did write to guest services and they refunded our meal, which was more than I expected.  However, I don't think I'll be visiting Kona for a while.  It was one of our favorites.

1 hour ago, djsamuel said:

When we last ate at Kona in May we were really disappointed.  Not only was the teriyaki steak gone (and replaced by a steak more than twice the price) the Asian Stir Fry which was still on the menu was dry and sticky; nowhere near as good as it used to be.  In addition, the service stunk.  They did not bring dinner rolls out, and when we asked after seeing other tables getting them, we were told that they weren't ready when we ordered so they figured we wouldn't want them.  My wife spoke to the manager who did nothing as well other than to apologize.  No free dessert or even a visit to the table to check on things.  To be fair, the menu was new then.  I did write to guest services and they refunded our meal, which was more than I expected.  However, I don't think I'll be visiting Kona for a while.  It was one of our favorites.

Hmm... sounds like there's a bit of chaos going on there right now.  New manager? Or is Disney just monkeying around with things like they do sometimes? Whatever the case I hope it gets sorted out soon! Kona is one of our favorites and we probably eat there more than any other restaurant on property.

45 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Hmm... sounds like there's a bit of chaos going on there right now.  New manager? Or is Disney just monkeying around with things like they do sometimes? Whatever the case I hope it gets sorted out soon! Kona is one of our favorites and we probably eat there more than any other restaurant on property.

I think it was a combination of all you mentioned.  There is a definite cost cutting and increase in prices, but I think it was compounded by a new menu and manager.  The food was so far below what we were used to there, I can only assume at least some of that was an unusual occurrence.  We did send the noodle bowls back because they were cold, and when they came back they were a little bit better, but still not very good and still very "sticky".

On 6/12/2017 at 0:49 PM, djsamuel said:

I think it was a combination of all you mentioned.  There is a definite cost cutting and increase in prices, but I think it was compounded by a new menu and manager.  The food was so far below what we were used to there, I can only assume at least some of that was an unusual occurrence.  We did send the noodle bowls back because they were cold, and when they came back they were a little bit better, but still not very good and still very "sticky".

I can't be 100% sure, but it seemed like the lunch prices at BOG had gone up, and the portions were smaller.  And we had issues with ordering at their kiosk.

2 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

I used to enjoy the Hawaiian plate lunch at Kona.  Sticky rice, mac salad, and pork or chicken (I don't remember which).  It was delicious.  Do they still have that on the lunch menu?

No. There is now just one menu now. If you look up a few messages you'll see a picture of it. That's the new menu we were given at lunch around Mother's Day.

No. There is now just one menu now. If you look up a few messages you'll see a picture of it. That's the new menu we were given at lunch around Mother's Day.

Oh I saw that menu but missed that it was also the lunch one. That's too bad. We tend to eat lunch out more often than dinner and I have enjoyed some of the unique lunch offerings. They also used to be a bit cheaper.

Sent from my handheld doohickie