My friend Joyce's mother passed away last week. She and Joyce's father, George, had been married 66 years. Joyce and I already have a WDW trip planned for mid-February so now we're taking George with us. We'll take a wheelchair since he will tire quickly. Any suggestions you can give for how to maneuver the wheelchair without clogging up lines? He is mobile though very slow. I don't know how easily he'll be able to get on the rides with the moving walkways like Haunted Mansion and Buzz Lightyear. Do you think the Tomorrowland Transit Authority Peoplemover might be do-able? He visited Magic Kingdom when it first opened; but, hasn't been back to WDW since. It will basically be seeing it through the eyes of a first time visitor. Maybe we'll get him Mickey ears.

Thanks

I would just take your time with the wheelchair and don't worry about anyone else, they can always walk around you. If not sure on the lines I would always ask a CM if your not sure they will be glad to help you.

Get a Transport Wheelchair. They are lightweight and all you need unless you plan on going off-road with him. All the rides with moving walkway loading have a wheelchair accessible area, and typically pause the walkway for people to transfer to the rides.

I wouldn't worry too much.  The attraction CM's are good at assisting and making sure he will be able to experience the World!

On many rides alternate entrances are used for guests in a wheelchair so they can transition to the ride at their own pace.

Have fun.

Could he operate a scooter? That might be a better option since it will be very tiring for you ladies to push him in a wheelchair.  When someone commented on how many hills there are in the parks that we've never noticed, I paid attention, and they were right.

Then for some rides, you can use the transport wheelchair. I'm not sure how they do things like the Haunted Mansion, but I know they have a method. 

Thanks everyone. George already has a small wheelchair he rented for Norma right before she passed. He's going to extend the rental on it for a few more weeks. I asked him about a scooter but he doesn't like the idea. George is a full steam ahead driver so a scooter might not be good for the other guests :). Joyce and I will just have to take turns pushing or push together if need be. We'll try to build rides like the paddle wheeler, the steam train, Carosel of Progress into the plan as rest breaks.

We use the attractions you mentioned every visit with our wheelchairs.  Also in HS, The great Movie Ride is a favorite as well as the Backlot Tour (although this is toned down in recent years).  In the MK, Small World, the new Ariel ride, and the Jungle Cruise are also easy with a wheelchair.  AK has the Safari which is wheelchair accessible, but the wait can be long.  EPCOT has the Nemo ride.  The World Showcase will be well worth visiting, but take it easy.  It's a long walk around there.

Also for George:  When my Judy needed a wheelchair following surgery, it was paid for by insurance, as ordered by her doctor.  After a few months, the rental exceed the purchase price, and the chair became ours.  It's nice to have around when we need it, but we don't have to pay any more for it.

Haunted Mansion will allow you to by pass the front room, where the room gets smaller, and go to the back.  There he can easily get out of his chair and walk, with help, to the ride.  He may have to get on the moving platform but often they will stop it or slow it down.  We have used this route several times when Shawnee and Kimberly were light enought for us to carry them from their chairs to the ride.  They are much to heavy now.  But since George can walk a little you should have not problem with most of the rides.  Good Luck and have a great time. :wave1:

Thanks Ken and Judy. We'll certainly slow down and take direction from the cast members. The slowing down part will help Joyce and me hold up better, too. :) World Showcase has some good built-in rest areas (grey goose slushies, the Japanese drummers, the USA patriotic groups, Werthers Caramel). I just hope I don't dump him going down ramps, off curbs. :(

We took our 84 year old mother in law last year and pushed her all over the parks. We took turns pushing and we hung all of our purses and bags off the back of the chair. We were able to do all the rides we always enjoy, she just had to be able to transport from the chair to the ride. The safari ride at AK was the longest wait...I wonder if it would be a shorter wait with the new fast pass plus? But, we'll be at the Fort starting Feb. 16 , hopefully in the 900 loop, so if you're there at the same time and need any assistance please let us know.

We took our 84 year old mother in law last year and pushed her all over the parks. We took turns pushing and we hung all of our purses and bags off the back of the chair. We were able to do all the rides we always enjoy, she just had to be able to transport from the chair to the ride. The safari ride at AK was the longest wait...I wonder if it would be a shorter wait with the new fast pass plus? But, we'll be at the Fort starting Feb. 16 , hopefully in the 900 loop, so if you're there at the same time and need any assistance please let us know.

Thanks for the offer. We take George home Friday 2/14. After everyone's comments, I'm feeling better about our decision to take him with us. Now if we can get him to NOT pester the CM's and NOT ask what color the key lime pie is (especially since he doesn't even like it) we should be OK.