Send them off to the Outpost bus stop and tell them to get a bus transportation card signed by a crabby old bus driver with Lou on his name tag. They'll be gone for a week.

Ok, you may not want them gone that long, so just ask them to get the card from one of the internal bus drivers.

Are they older kids with phones or cameras?  You could do a photo hunt....giving them a map of the Fort and a list of things to snap selfies of themselves with.  Like specific loop signs (say the 500 or 1600 loop entrance), on the porches of Trails End and the Meadows trading post, with the pool slide in the background, at the marina, in the horse barn, etc. 

• 1 month later...

Love this idea! Now I know how I'll offset the next 3 weeks of waiting to get there. This will be fun! The last time we were at the Fort we ended up extending our stay another day just so we could relax and check out the camp. I was debating whether or not to get 4 or 5-day hoppers but this makes that decision easier. Of course, some of my time over the next 3 weeks will be spent practicing my mad apple pie baking skills.

• 2 weeks later...

Send them off to the Outpost bus stop and tell them to get a bus transportation card signed by a crabby old bus driver with Lou on his name tag. They'll be gone for a week.

Ok, you may not want them gone that long, so just ask them to get the card from one of the internal bus drivers.

I don't know what that is, but thanks - I will.

Are they older kids with phones or cameras?  You could do a photo hunt....giving them a map of the Fort and a list of things to snap selfies of themselves with.  Like specific loop signs (say the 500 or 1600 loop entrance), on the porches of Trails End and the Meadows trading post, with the pool slide in the background, at the marina, in the horse barn, etc. 

I like the photo hunt idea, thanks.

Love this idea! Now I know how I'll offset the next 3 weeks of waiting to get there. This will be fun! The last time we were at the Fort we ended up extending our stay another day just so we could relax and check out the camp. I was debating whether or not to get 4 or 5-day hoppers but this makes that decision easier. Of course, some of my time over the next 3 weeks will be spent practicing my mad apple pie baking skills.

Good, you can try it out and let me know what to put on our scavenger hunt ;)

Other things you could have them go find/photograph...

Calliope (in the horse barn)

old River Country ticket booth

one of Cinderella's ponies

the bear rock

Another thought for the list...

Play a game of checkers - either at the Outpost, the porch at Crocketts, or in the Meadows trading post

A few other thoughts...

• write down or take the photos of the loop names for all the loops at the Fort
  • find the group camping area
  • find as many Hidden Mickeys as they can - the video below might give some ideas, but note it's a little over a year old now and the lawnmower tree is gone now

http://youtu.be/HGtKBD4g2Bk

All three transportation modes have a series of collectable business card sized cards.

Some bus drivers, monorail CMs, and watercraft CMs carry them to give out if asked.

Thanks!  

And thanks for the youtube link Mo, my oldest is really into Hidden Mickeys

As mentioned above, it would help me make suggestions if I knew the age range of the children. Fort Wilderness is a big place. I wouldn't send young kids unfamiliar with the campground out to run around unsupervised. Are we talking about elementary school age? Preschoolers? Teens? It makes a big difference.

TCD

5,7,12,16 - so all of the above ;)

Now that I see the age range of your children, it's important that you think about how big and spread out the campground is. Some of the places mentioned are a mile or more apart from each other. I've participated in scavenger hunts at the Fort using golf carts. That is fun. On foot, it wouldn't be much fun at all. So, I wouldn't send the kids out to find all the big Fort landmarks- I would keep it simple and limit it to stuff they could find around your loop- like a colored leaf, a pine cone, a feather, etc.

TCD