As far a temperature, all hubs should be close together. If one is a lot hotter, there is a problem. Same with tire temperature, all tires should be the same. When I pulled a trailer a lot, I invested in a spare hub and bearings, actually used an axle spindle mounted on frame and used it for a spare tire rack. Gave me a spare hub and bearings with a set of lug nuts.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks to all for your concerns!  Once we got to the Fort I basically zoned out (aka drank a lot of beer) for the remainder of the time and didn't even get on the world wide web.     I'll save details

The Reds are coming, the Reds are coming.

Hey Lou, let me fix that for you.   go dawgs, woof woof

UGH!  So glad you will be on your way soon!! 

The same thing happened to us the only time we tried to take our old pop up.

We burned out on 95 just before GA.

We left it at the garage

and instead purchased an extra tent for the trip.

The van was super packed but we made it.

Sorry to hear about the breakdown.  Glad all are OK and you caught the problem before it possibly escalated. 

Hope you will soon be on your way.  Maybe a little extra magic will find you to offset the delay.

What temp due you consider hot?

I have similar question.  I did a test run on a trailer that had been parked for nearly two years.  All went well.  Check hubs after forty miles of highway driving.  One hub was slightly warmer than the others.  All were not "hot to the touch".  I could easily hold my hand on them.  Other than a potential problem, is this enough?  I have not greased them so I think it could just be a bit dry.

Glad to hear things are working out you might want to invest in a temp gun to keep track of bearing temps. I keep one in the MH and shoot all the wheel hubs everytime we stop for fuel to make sure none of them are running hot.

Newbie question... are we talking about the wheel bearings?  I watched this youtube video.. is that the same thing??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6ndN_9NQL4

Using the grease hub is ok for mid year maintenance but I would recomend removing the bearings to clean and inspect them also to replace the seals. Depending on how much you use the RV repack every year or every other year.

Thanks.  I'm actually planning to have this done (by a local dealership) in the next month.

Thanks to all for your concerns!  Once we got to the Fort I basically zoned out (aka drank a lot of beer) for the remainder of the time and didn't even get on the world wide web.  

I'll save details for the TR (hopefully we'll get that going this week, even though I do still have our Thanksgiving report to put up), but I will share this now:

bearings suck.

Actually they're really good, but I'm kind of mad at them at the moment.  

I will say that I now own an IR thermometer (coolest toy I've bought in awhile...I checked so many temperatures), our trip home from the Fort took a record LONG time (because I was paranoid and stopped every hour to check the temps), and I will be pulling off all four hubs (including the new one) and checking/repacking everything before our next trip.  

I always knew ABOUT bearings and knew to grease them (and did using a grease gun), but I now know that using a grease gun (like the video up top) is NOT the way to do it properly, and that bearings need to be inspected and REPACKED by pulling them off, not just squirting new grease in with a grease gun.

So, an expensive and scary lesson learned.  The end.

I found them!  

It turns out they enjoyed Cecil Bay RV Park so much, they decided just to stay and spend their vacation there.  If you want to interact with CKCK and the Reds from now on, go on over to CecilFiends.net and sign up.  

I was hoping you wouldn't find me.  I wanted it to grow like FF.net and then come back and surprise everyone here.  Oh well, my plan is ruined now, so I guess I'll just stay here.