This isn't RV related, but there are a lot of folks here who know a lot about vehicles in general, so I'm going to ask for some advice.

Twin #2 was run off the road last night and gashed her front passenger tire, which apparently is toast.

She drives a Mini Cooper, and it is still covered by Mini Roadside Assistance.  The spares on these cars are a joke, so the tow truck driver suggested to her that he just tow the car to the Mini dealer in Orlando, which is where it is now.  I probably would have done this differently if I had been asked, but this all happened without my input.

The car is 3 years old.  She only has just over 20K miles on the tires.  I wasn't planning to replace all the tires for at least another year.

What do I want to do here?  Just replace the one tire?  Put two new ones on the front?  Move the rear tires to the front and put two new ones on the back?

I want to do the right thing- not necessarily the cheapest thing.

TCD

My two cents... I replaced one tire because it had a nail too close to the edge to plug. The last time I had the tires rotated the new (with more tread) tire ended up on the front with one of the older tires causing the car to pull to the right. I had to have the newer tire moved to the back.

I'm thinking replace two, depending on the last rotation, decide whether the two new are front or rear. Also have an alignment check run. Being forced off the road and bounced like that can cause problems

Glad they are OK.

I would do what Carol suggests.  

We were in the situation of having to replace a defective tire.  We opted for just the one, and while it has been alright, the car drifts a bit due to non-equal overall tire size.

Place the new up front.

Thank God she's ok.

If the old tires are still in good shape, and have lots of life left you could replace two tires. I'm assuming its front wheel drive so I would put the new tires on the front.

More than likely I would just replace all 4. Factory tires usually are not the highest rated tires. And you said the tires are over 3 years old and have 20k miles on them. It rains too much in Florida to not have a good set of tires on your vehicle.

Also ask if she had a road hazard warranty. This would save a little bit of money.

If possible, replace the spare tire with one of the good old tires. That way she has a good spare. You'll probably have to buy a new or used rim.

Dealer recommended two new tires, with the new on back, moving the old up front, plus an alignment. 

Replace the 2 front tires move the new ones to the rear. You all ways want your best tries on the rear.

Just curious but why did they recommend putting the old ones up front?

I am wondering about why to place the new in the back as well.

Can someone elaborate?

I really don't know about the front/rear thing, but I've been through this with two of our older cars, and at two different tire dealers, there were posters on the wall which said always put the new (best) tires on the rear.

The service tech from the dealer said the same thing to me today, so that's what I'm going to go with.

As I said, the existing tires are not in bad shape, and I'm going to try to get another year out of them.  When I replace those, the new ones I'm getting today will move up front. Then we should be good for another couple of years.

TCD

A quick web search netted this from Michelin;

For continued optimized vehicle performance, it is 
recommended that all tires be replaced at the same time. 
If only two tires are being replaced, the two newer tires 
need to be installed on the rear axle, regardless of vehicle 
drive type. The new tires with deeper tread will provide 
better wet grip and evacuate water more effectively - which 
helps delay the onset of hydroplaning. Deeper tread tires on 
the rear axle will help avoid loss of vehicle stability on wet 
surfaces.

You learn something new every day.

I really don't know about the front/rear thing, but I've been through this with two of our older cars, and at two different tire dealers, there were posters on the wall which said always put the new (best) tires on the rear.

http://www.michelinman.com/mediabin/Approved/Michelin/Visuals/Digital/Two_Tire_Poster_Michelin_042009.pdf

Glad she is OK! I like the idea of keeping the semi-good tire you're replacing as a spare if possible. 

I thought about it- but I don't have a wheel to mount it on, or a place where she could keep it.

The spare on these cars, like with a lot of cars these days, is a joke. They call it a space saver spare.  It looks like you'd need an engineering degree to get the thing out of its hiding place and onto the car.  And then, it's only for temporary use.  There's no place in a small car like this for a full sized spare.

TCD

I thought about it- but I don't have a wheel to mount it on, or a place where she could keep it.

The spare on these cars, like with a lot of cars these days, is a joke. They call it a space saver spare. It looks like you'd need an engineering degree to get the thing out of its hiding place and onto the car. And then, it's only for temporary use. There's no place in a small car like this for a full sized spare.

TCD

Our car doesn't have a spare. It has a can of fix a flat and an air pump. Social fix a flat and pump of course but still that's what it has.

I am glad she is OK.

Now to tell my husband he was wrong. I just had two tires replaced. The back passenger side one was really bad and the back driver's side was getting there. He told me to have the new tires put on the front. In fact he always says this whenever I have to get new tires.

The spare on these cars, like with a lot of cars these days, is a joke. They call it a space saver spare. It looks like you'd need an engineering degree to get the thing out of its hiding place and onto the car. And then, it's only for temporary use. There's no place in a small car like this for a full sized spare.

TCD

Space saver. What a joke. I told my DW to call AAA and don't even put that joke of a tire on her car.

My DS has a mustang and fortunately has a big enough trunk to accommodate the full size spare we replaced his donut spare with.

I've never used AAA's service, personally, but my DW, DS, and MIL has.

I don't know if AAA in Florida offers the family plan but IMHO it's worth the peace of mind it gives me.

I am glad she is OK.

Now to tell my husband he was wrong. I just had two tires replaced. The back passenger side one was really bad and the back driver's side was getting there. He told me to have the new tires put on the front. In fact he always says this whenever I have to get new tires.

Don't be to hard on him. I would have told you the same thing. But then again I'm usually wrong. Lol.