Not sure why I even looked at this, but I was looking at DVC resales (not currently in the market). Hilton Head and Vero Beach for around $60 a point (vs. say $110ish a point at WL). Wouldn't it be smartest to buy there? I know you can book farther out at your home resort, but what is availability like for the others? My uncle who owns seems to stay at a different place every time with no issues. Am I missing something? 

I'm seeing it the same way.  I think that if you want to book Christmas week, or Easter, etc, and you are specific about the resort you want, then you'd need that to be your home resort.  Or even just if you want one of those prime weeks and want to go to WDW....you might have an issue if your home resort is Vero or Hilton Head.  Otherwise I'd be comfortable with buying one of the "cheaper" resorts. 

We rarely stay at the resorts we own at. We do like having the option to book them 11 months out, though (we own at Beach Club and Bay Lake Tower), just in case we need that. We also tend to stay when Disney is not as crowded, so getting accommodations that we like, is not as hard. If you go during a really busy season and you have your heart set on a certain resort, I would think it would be ideal to own there.

I've always heard that the beach resorts (Hilton Head and Vero) have higher maintenance fees. I'm not sure if the difference is enough, that you shouldn't own there - I've never looked at the per point breakdown, but I'm sure you can find it online. I also don't remember what happens if those resorts are hit with a hurricane and need extensive repairs.

I'm seeing it the same way.  I think that if you want to book Christmas week, or Easter, etc, and you are specific about the resort you want, then you'd need that to be your home resort.  Or even just if you want one of those prime weeks and want to go to WDW....you might have an issue if your home resort is Vero or Hilton Head.  Otherwise I'd be comfortable with buying one of the "cheaper" resorts. 

IF (big if) we ever bought DVC, I don't think it would be for long trips like we generally do at Easter. Those would be Fort trips. I see using it more for a weekend away just the 2 of us or a girl's trip. 

We rarely stay at the resorts we own at. We do like having the option to book them 11 months out, though (we own at Beach Club and Bay Lake Tower), just in case we need that. We also tend to stay when Disney is not as crowded, so getting accommodations that we like, is not as hard. If you go during a really busy season and you have your heart set on a certain resort, I would think it would be ideal to own there. I've always heard that the beach resorts (Hilton Head and Vero) have higher maintenance fees. I'm not sure if the difference is enough, that you shouldn't own there - I've never looked at the per point breakdown, but I'm sure you can find it online. I also don't remember what happens if those resorts are hit with a hurricane and need extensive repairs.

Higher fees and damage are potential issues. I hadn't thought of that. 

At the busy times we book at the 11 month window, that guarantees us a place, then at the 7 month window we will try for the resort we really wanted. Not that this always works but it at least gets you a place. So far we have never really had a hard time getting in different resorts, only trying to trade out to RCI for a ski place.

The points for the Beach Resorts will expire before some of the newer resorts.

Watch out buying resale, not through Disney, they are taking away a lot of the perks from those that do not buy from Disney directly anymore.

Also good point about the expiration date. SSR might be the best value.

My understanding from looking into things is that the only restriction with buying resale is that you MUST use your points at a DVC resort. No using them, say at the Fort or on a cruise. I'm fine with that, especially because you can get some deals at almost half of what Disney is currently selling points for. Are there other restrictions? 

Also good point about the expiration date. SSR might be the best value.

My understanding from looking into things is that the only restriction with buying resale is that you MUST use your points at a DVC resort. No using them, say at the Fort or on a cruise. I'm fine with that, especially because you can get some deals at almost half of what Disney is currently selling points for. Are there other restrictions? 

At this point that is the only restrictions that I know of, but they are really trying to shut down the resale market, so there are certain specials that they may not allow the resale points.  However, if you are looking to book a DVC Resort and do not care about the perks, then there is a good chance that the rules and any new rules will not affect you.

At this point that is the only restrictions that I know of, but they are really trying to shut down the resale market, so there are certain specials that they may not allow the resale points.  However, if you are looking to book a DVC Resort and do not care about the perks, then there is a good chance that the rules and any new rules will not affect you.

I care about "perks." I'm just OK with only staying at DVC properties using DVC points. 

One thing to keep in mind if you are looking to buy into DVC, like others have said are the maintenance fees... Maintenance fees vary from resort to resort. And from what I understand the fees have a lot to do with how and where the resort is set up and maintained.

For instance, Vero Beach and Hilton Head have the highest maintenance fees because they are on the coast and are susceptible to hurricanes and just plain sitting out in the salt air. Therefore, Disney has to perform more maintenance as well as carry more insurance to cover any storm related damage.

SSR and OKW are among the cheapest because all of the villas are condo style with outside entry's. In other words, there are no inside corridors with carpeting to maintain and keep up.

Since all of these maintenance fees go into the housekeeping and general upkeep of the buildings and properties all of these are decided when the maintenance fees are calculated each year.

Luckily, the fees are charged on the amount of points that you own and not a flat fee for everyone. Just as an example, I think our maintenance fees for SSR are somewhere around the $4 range per point, but don't hold me to that number...

One thing to keep in mind if you are looking to buy into DVC, like others have said are the maintenance fees... Maintenance fees vary from resort to resort. And from what I understand the fees have a lot to do with how and where the resort is set up and maintained.

For instance, Vero Beach and Hilton Head have the highest maintenance fees because they are on the coast and are susceptible to hurricanes and just plain sitting out in the salt air. Therefore, Disney has to perform more maintenance as well as carry more insurance to cover any storm related damage.

SSR and OKW are among the cheapest because all of the villas are condo style with outside entry's. In other words, there are no inside corridors with carpeting to maintain and keep up.

Since all of these maintenance fees go into the housekeeping and general upkeep of the buildings and properties all of these are decided when the maintenance fees are calculated each year.

Luckily, the fees are charged on the amount of points that you own and not a flat fee for everyone. Just as an example, I think our maintenance fees for SSR are somewhere around the $4 range per point, but don't hold me to that number...

Great points.  If I ever seriously start looking at this....I will make a handy dandy spreadsheet to analyze it all over the life of the contract. 

Great points.  If I ever seriously start looking at this....I will make a handy dandy spreadsheet to analyze it all over the life of the contract. 

And the Maintenance fess can be the variable. They can increase those if they need more money for maintenance but only by a certain percentage per year. 

And the Maintenance fess can be the variable. They can increase those if they need more money for maintenance but only by a certain percentage per year. 

I was reading somewhere about the cap per the contracts, and the annual average actual increases, which were below the cap and in the range of 2.5-3% per year IIRC.  One of the sites I saw detailed all of that...so it's info that is readily available for people to do their diligence. 

I was reading somewhere about the cap per the contracts, and the annual average actual increases, which were below the cap and in the range of 2.5-3% per year IIRC.  One of the sites I saw detailed all of that...so it's info that is readily available for people to do their diligence. 

Absolutely just figured I would mention it in case you hadnt seen that yet. Didn't want you to have an incomplete spreadsheet. 

My brother and his wife bought into DVC a few years ago however, for us, I've never understood the appeal.  Time shares are expensive to purchase, then there are the annual maintenance fees.... all while living under the assumption that you will be able to take a vacation every year or two years.  I think it's risky because while one does (of course) hope to take a vacation every year, life has a way of being...well...life.  Which is to say that there may be years that you cannot take a vacation.  

Looking at the money you pay, I've always thought that you were better off just finding a good deal on a hotel...if/when the time comes that you want to go on vacation.

Then again, I don't know how much it costs (initial purchase price) to buy a resale with DVC or how long you can hold onto/carry over your points (one year, two years, more??) so... maybe it's worth it?

My two cents...

We own a timeshare at wyndham bonnet creek, and I've looked into DVC.

Our annual maintenance fees are $900. We get a 2 bed 2 bath for 7-14 days per year, depending on when we go. If we were to rent this condo it would cost us about $200-$300/ night. If we don't use it one year we can carry it over for the next year. Can we rent a cheaper hotel? Yes of course. So it really depends on how you like to travel. If you stay at value hotels then it probably isn't worth it.

When I looked into DVC I did the math and for us it would take about 10-12 years to "break even".

But that is based on staying at moderate resort during the busy times or staying at a deluxe resort off peak.

We do come to Disney once a year, on average. But we don't always stay at a mod or deluxe resort. Half of our stays have been at a value resort. For us the cost of a DVC isn't worth it. We have rented points from a company and stayed at the Beach Club and AKV. We really loved both and for us that is the best way of staying at a deluxe resort for the cost of a moderate or deluxe. Example. We stayed at AKV this summer in a partial savannah studio suite, queen bed with a sleeper sofa. And it cost $200/ night.

This company doesn't advertise on this site so I won't advertise for them. But if anybody wants the info pm me I'll give you the info.

In full disclosure. I was trying to help a friend try and sell their elderly mothers wyndham timeshare. The resale market was so bad we couldn't sell it. She couldn't afford the maintenance fees so we paid them for her for two years and she let us use her points twice. After almost two years of trying to sell it. She gave it to us. If I had to buy them. I wouldn't have.

One other thing.

Disney has the right of first refusal on any resale. And if the selling price is too low they'll buy it. They do this to keep the price artificially high in a bad economy. $60/ point seems really low. Are they selling for this price?

Mercy...I think I needed coffee before I posted earlier today.  I missed where Kelly said (in the OP) that it was $60/point for the properties she was looking into.  How many points do you need for each night?  Is there a minimum number of points that you have to purchase?

Mercy...I think I needed coffee before I posted earlier today. I missed where Kelly said (in the OP) that it was $60/point for the properties she was looking into. How many points do you need for each night? Is there a minimum number of points that you have to purchase?

Iirc there is a minimum amount of points you have to buy from Disney.

As far as how many points you need per night. Well that depends on which property you choose, what days your coming. Peak or off peak times.

For example. December 20-27 at AKV is 113 points.

I see... then it looks like (as you said), financially buying into DVC is worth it IF you are one who typically takes a very nice vacation once every year or every other year.

It would not work for us simply because:

*if we're going to Disney, we're staying at the Fort

*if we can drive there, we're camping in our trailer

*if we need to rent a condo somewhere, we're cheap...so not the $350-$400/night that Disney typically charges

I know my brother and SIL really enjoy their membership.  They've had it for 4 or 5 years now and take full advantage of their points.  Actually, we're meeting them in Disney and my parents will stay with them in their condo.  Spots were full, so they had to split it with the first few nights at AKL then the last few nights at the Contemporary.   Plus...they're going on a Disney cruise after that (yes, they're young with no kids yet so... "extra" money) and they're actually coming back to WDW for one or two nights at the CBC.

We dont have kids but have looked into this. We really enjoy staying at Disney and if we decided to do something different one year we would just bank the points for the following year. We figured with 160 points we can get a studio 2 different weeks of the year at AKL. The upfront is our biggest hesitation so we are probably going to do resale if we do go ahead with this. 

I see... then it looks like (as you said), financially buying into DVC is worth it IF you are one who typically takes a very nice vacation once every year or every other year.

It would not work for us simply because:

*if we're going to Disney, we're staying at the Fort

*if we can drive there, we're camping in our trailer

*if we need to rent a condo somewhere, we're cheap...so not the $350-$400/night that Disney typically charges

I know my brother and SIL really enjoy their membership.  They've had it for 4 or 5 years now and take full advantage of their points.  Actually, we're meeting them in Disney and my parents will stay with them in their condo.  Spots were full, so they had to split it with the first few nights at AKL then the last few nights at the Contemporary.   Plus...they're going on a Disney cruise after that (yes, they're young with no kids yet so... "extra" money) and they're actually coming back to WDW for one or two nights at the CBC.

If I did it, it would be to do a long weekend trip(s) when driving the RV wouldn't make sense. For example, a girls' weekend, a trip for just Z and me, or even a quick getaway with Jason... trips when we'd fly. I'd probably only buy 50 points. 

If I did it, it would be to do a long weekend trip(s) when driving the RV wouldn't make sense. For example, a girls' weekend, a trip for just Z and me, or even a quick getaway with Jason... trips when we'd fly. I'd probably only buy 50 points.

Thats exactly what I was thinking Kelly. Or you could use three years worth of points for a big special trip if I ever wanted too. All this talk really has had me thinking about DVC again.

WBI