Now before I try to dive into this and explain our situation, let it be known that my most favorite dish ever is CROW... Love it, love it, love it!  Especially the beak and the feet....  And trust me, I have eaten my share of it! 

Anyway, with that being said... before we bought into DVC, I was about the most anti-time share person out there... I could not fathom why anyone would pay for a place that you could only stay at for 1 week, at a specific time of each year... In fact, we got rooked into a presentation in Williamsburg, VA one time, and we didn't even know that was what  was going on until they had us trapped there in that "big room"... In fact, before we left that property, I had the sales lady calling me a liar, and said the only reason that we didn't buy from her, was that is was all her fault, that she was not on her "A" game that day... I thought to myself, "sister, if you don't get me back to my car as fast as you can, I'm gonna open up a can on you right now"...  Needless to say it left a bad taste in our mouths against timeshares...

Fast forward to 2006.. we were on a Disney cruise and they were hosting a DVC presentation.  Claudine wanted to go... I told her there was no absolute way that I was going near that place to hear what they had to say... Being the man of the family, and shortly after i received "the look", I tucked my tail and went along peaceably....

There were no "big rooms", no high pressure sales pitches, no "if you don't sign this paper today, you will miss out on the deal of the century", they just presented what they had to say, offered to meet with us one on one if we were interested and allowed us to leave.  Needless to say, within the hour, we were sitting in a converted cabin somewhere on the ship.

The main reason we purchased, was like everyone one else on this board.  We love Disney, and at the time, we found ourselves going at least twice per year, because at the time, Ashleigh was in year round school and one of her times off was around the first 3 weeks in February.  

In NC, that is around the time that bad weather hits and I never wanted to get the camper out to travel to the Fort.  I was always afraid we would get stranded either on the way out or on the way back home.  So we decided that DVC would work well for our "winter" vacations.  The summer and fall vacations would still be at the Fort in our camper.

The thing that really "hooked" me was the fact that based on the number of points that I had, I could come down at a moments notice if I had the points to cover, and DVC had the space.  The points were very flexible and I could use them all at once, or break them up for several trips, or I could bank and borrow for a large vacation.

The point values required at each resort can never change. Meaning if it take 10 points per night at SSR today, then 10 years from now, it will still remain at 10 points per night. They can however be "moved around" for the different seasons that Disney likes to use, but overall they cannot change.  Also, once you buy in, you receive that same number of points at the same time each year for the life of the contract. We have 160 points based at SSR, and we get them on Dec 1 of each year. The contract is for something like 40+ years, but someone more versed in DVC can tell you exactly.  The way I look at it, after 40 years, I will be too old to do anything or travel anyway. So for the next 40 or so years, each December I get 160 points to use as I wish and never have to purchase them again.

The thing that I do have to pay for are the dreaded maintenance fees.  They are based on the number of points that you own. So last year, for SSR, the dues were $4.87/point. And they come due around the 15th of January each year. 

The thing that finally pulled me into the boat, was during the presentation they told us what a room at the Contemporary cost back when it first opened... I think he said is was somewhere around $40 per night and now look what it costs to stay there, and Bay Lake Towers was not even built yet.

Basically, you are prepaying for your vacations at Disney for the next 40 or so years.... Even if the price for a room rises to $1000/night, the point values will not change for that same room. They just may get moved around for the Disney seasons, just like a campsite at Christmas costs more than that same site costs in September.  

Now the dues can change but as others have said, there is a cap. Not sure what that number is, but historically they have been reasonable in my opinion.

There are many other scenarios how you can use points,  but I won't bore you with those details...  Also, I'm sure there are others out there who can explain it much better than I...

I would have to agree a lot with Duane on reasons we bought, plus I like the fact that we can use different size accommodation's as needed plus not locked into 1 certain week a year, DVC has offered us a chance( with good airfare) some nice quick long weekend trips to Disney. It's not for everyone but then again neither is camping.

Going back to the original question, VB and HH are cheaper to buy but end up more expensive in paying out maintenance fees.  For instance, currently VB is currently $7.7531 per vacation point, BLT is $4.7846 per point.  So say you had 100 points, at VB it would cost you $775.31 per year vs. $478.46 at BLT.  That difference can add up quickly.

We bought resale, 200 points at VWL about 12 years ago.  We have had great vacations in all kinds of accommodations, including grand villas (by banking and borrowing).  Even though our resale points aren't restricted like current resale points, we haven't used them for things like DCL.  It isn't the best way to use points anyway, and instead we have rented out our points (currently for $11 per point) and paid for a cruise with that money.

Most people say to own where you want to stay.  But honestly, we have been able to stay at every other DVC resort we have wanted to.  Granted some we had to waitlist (like HH in the summer), but we did get it.  But for some places, it is a must to own there if you are dead set on staying at a particular resort at a particular time (i.e. Beach Club or Boardwalk during the F&W festival).

Check out Mouseowners, it's a great website if you have questions about DVC.  Don't worry, they're friendly over there!

Dvccamper,

We've rented points for a company, and have had great success. Did you rent them directly to someone or go thru a company? And if so, what company did you use?

We went through David's DVC rentals (dvc.request?) and it was perfect. He had our points rented out within a day or two of us listing them.  We had rented them out on our own a few years ago and even though it went fine it was more of a worry.  We had to draw up our own contract and there has to be a level of trust there between the owners and renters (who I had found online).  I much prefer going through David's. 

I think we spoke about this before...you've rented through the same company?