A couple old pics from the Fort

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I remember on New Years Eve at the Fort two years ago.....after the fireworks on the beach, there were hundreds (it seems) of carts leaving the Settlement area honking their stupid horns.  It went on

I'm thinking this is the construction of the Meadow swimming pool.  It looks like the 1500 loop bus stop way off in the distance.

been gone a week or so, I'll try to start it up again, Wilderness Trail from spring of 1978.

Getting back to the issue of the opening date of the Meadow pool, I found this old thread here: http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/8483-disney-2006-press-release-fun-history-of-the-fort/

That thread shared this link, which appears to be to an official Disney press release: http://wdwnews.com/releases/2006/11/14/disney-2/

According to the information provided by the second link, both of the pools, along with the tennis courts and snack bar were added to the Fort in 1985.

TCD

I am thoroughly enjoying these old pictures!  Although we started visiting WDW in the mid-70s, our first trip to the Fort was in 1988.  So we missed out on a lot of the good stuff like the railroad.

Can anyone explain the boat in this picture to me?  Was it a part of Fort recreation, did it transport people to the Fort, or what?

out in bay lake

Image3c_zpsa1184bd5.jpg

I am thoroughly enjoying these old pictures!  Although we started visiting WDW in the mid-70s, our first trip to the Fort was in 1988.  So we missed out on a lot of the good stuff like the railroad.

Can anyone explain the boat in this picture to me?  Was it a part of Fort recreation, did it transport people to the Fort, or what?

From what I've heard, those boats with the wheels on the side were around from the opening of WDW in 1971, and predate the big ferries they use now.

Here's a link to a page with more than you ever want to know about these boats:  http://www.bigbrian-nc.com/7seas.htm

As for what that boat is doing off of the Fort swimming area, that's a good question.  There is no reason that I can think of for that boat to be out in Bay Lake in the middle of an afternoon like that.

TCD

spring of 1986

I thought this was interesting, you can still see the train tracks.

img089_zpsc62466a5.jpg

Yes, that is interesting about the train tracks.

I think that's the 400 loop to the right of the tram.  It's interesting that there are no sidewalks along the road.  There's a sidewalk there now, poured over the old rail bed.

The other thing interesting about this photo is that we can see a bus in your photo of the Meadow Pool construction, which is from 1985, yet here is a tram in use in 1986.  I never knew that buses and trams operated at the same time.  Maybe the trams handled inside the campground transportation, and maybe the buses carried guests back and forth to the TTC?

TCD

My very first 2-wheel bike had a banana seat with bright flowers on it. Come to think of it, the bike was purple! :)

My first bike had a white banana seat with the big Ape hanger handle bars it to was purple. I got it from my grandmother and purple is our favorite color.

Yes, that is interesting about the train tracks.

I think that's the 400 loop to the right of the tram.  It's interesting that there are no sidewalks along the road.  There's a sidewalk there now, poured over the old rail bed.

The other thing interesting about this photo is that we can see a bus in your photo of the Meadow Pool construction, which is from 1985, yet here is a tram in use in 1986.  I never knew that buses and trams operated at the same time.  Maybe the trams handled inside the campground transportation, and maybe the buses carried guests back and forth to the TTC?

TCD

I remember as a child in the 80,s they had trams and buses in the campground. You are correct the buses were used mostly to take you from pioneer hall area to theme parks and ttc. There were a few that ran through the campground loops but majority were trams. I remember always making my parents wait for a tram and bypassing the buses. Ohhh to be a child again. Memories...

These photos are great!  Thanks so much for posting them.

spring of 1978

Image38_zps8e28447d.jpg

Wow.  Look at what that kid all the way over to the right is standing next to.  A cannon!   And I see an American Flag flying.  And maybe a covered wagon over there on the left.  Awesome.

Also, what is up with the wheels on the River Country wagon?  They are different in almost every photo.

spring of 1985

img420_zpscd4a7c8d.jpg

Now here's something that looks familiar.  The porch of Crockett's Tavern.  Except, you can't park you bikes there like that anymore.

Look at that Trail's End sign out front.

There's some kind of picture on it, but I can't make out what it is.  My best guess is a baked potato with a strip of bacon on it.  But, that probably isn't right.

TCD