• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

This past Friday I had lunch at the 50s Prime Time Cafe. I hadn't been there in a really long time.

YRQe32P.jpg

Once again I ordered off the kids menu. This was the kids chicken pot pie. Looking at the picture you'll understand my confusion when I received a bowl of chicken pot pie filling with two Mickey shaped puff pastries on top.

qBEeF5el.jpg

It wasn't quite what I expected. It's hard to tell from the photo but there was actually quite a lot of chicken in there (big hunks of it, not little pieces) along with mushrooms, carrots, peas, and onions. It was very tasty and a pretty big portion size too (I don't think a kid would actually be able to finish it).

I'm glad the "pot pie" tasted good, because it doesn't look so good.

They have a pot pie on the menu at Columbia Harbour House, and they sprinkle panko on top of it instead of having a top crust.  I'm sure it's because it's easier for them to keep the filling hot, and then scoop it in when needed, rather than cooking the pot pies to order.  That doesn't work for me, because the crust is my favorite part.

TCD

We went there this last Christmas. Food was great. (We didn't try the pot pie). We also met Toby Keith. He was there with his family and friends. They also had one of those private guides. I didn't ask to take a picture. I'm sure he would have obliged us. But I took one from the side with my beautiful wife to try and make Toby look better. 

http://s1305.photobucket.com/user/H2odivers/media/IMG_1437_zpsqbu0cimk.jpg.html]IMG_1437_zpsqbu0cimk.jpg[/URL]

8 minutes ago, Travisma said:

That's called chicken stew.... No where in my book would that be called a pot pie!

Coming from central Pennsylvania, what everyone else calls Chicken Pot Pie isn't what we call Chicken Pot Pie. Thick homemade noodles, chicken, goodness. Not a pie, but for some reason it uses that name.

Coming from central Pennsylvania, what everyone else calls Chicken Pot Pie isn't what we call Chicken Pot Pie. Thick homemade noodles, chicken, goodness. Not a pie, but for some reason it uses that name.

Here in Adams county the churches call it slippery pot pie. Up in Perry county it had crust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, ependydad...Doug said:

Sounds like what they call chili in the Cincinnati and Louisville areas. It is a pasta dish as opposed to a stew. Was very surprised the first time I ordered it. Fortunately the restaurant understood and refunded my money. When we finally got to the folks house they said, "We should have warned you".

1 hour ago, keith_h said:

Sounds like what they call chili in the Cincinnati and Louisville areas. It is a pasta dish as opposed to a stew. Was very surprised the first time I ordered it. Fortunately the restaurant understood and refunded my money. When we finally got to the folks house they said, "We should have warned you".

True. I tried the chili pasta when I was in Cincinnati at the airport. Would have been OK but the noodles were wet and that made it terrible.

8 minutes ago, ependydad...Doug said:

True. I tried the chili pasta when I was in Cincinnati at the airport. Would have been OK but the noodles were wet and that made it terrible.

My issue with Cincinnati chili is the seasonings...just not my thing.  I've tried a couple of times, including at a place recommended by locals when I was there for work.  But the topping was more like a strangely spiced chopped meat sauce than like chili.  I think it has chocolate in it, as well as allspice and other crap that belongs in dessert.  

7 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

My issue with Cincinnati chili is the seasonings...just not my thing.  I've tried a couple of times, including at a place recommended by locals when I was there for work.  But the topping was more like a strangely spiced chopped meat sauce than like chili.  I think it has chocolate in it, as well as allspice and other crap that belongs in dessert.  

I was wondering how I never heard of this chili with wet noodles that everyone was talking about until I read this description.

We have a couple of restaurants called Skyline Chili near us: http://www.skylinechili.com/

I agree- whatever it is they're serving on top of the spaghetti, that ain't chili.  I have tried it a couple of times, and it's gross.

I don't know why we have two in my area of Florida.  I guess we have more Ohio refugees than I realize.  As far as I can tell, these folks only operate in Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky and Florida.

TCD

I was wondering how I never heard of this chili with wet noodles that everyone was talking about until I read this description.

We have a couple of restaurants called Skyline Chili near us: http://www.skylinechili.com/

I agree- whatever it is they're serving on top of the spaghetti, that ain't chili.  I have tried it a couple of times, and it's gross.

I don't know why we have two in my area of Florida.  I guess we have more Ohio refugees than I realize.  As far as I can tell, these folks only operate in Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky and Florida.

TCD

Skyline is the most famous of the chili places, but the local that steered me elsewhere said it's not nearly the best. But honestly, what's the difference between mediocre crap and excellent crap? You're still eating crap.

Sent from my handheld doohickie