Fishing in the canals at Fort Wilderness

Hmm... good question!  I'm sure someone here will have some info to share on what the rental equipment uses, or our resident fishermen will weigh in.

If it helps at all (and you haven't seen it already), there's some general fishing info on this page...

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/activities/fishing-r198

I wish I could answer that question....we fish in the canals but I'm not an avid fisherman (mainly cause I don't have time for it at home) and have no idea what size hooks we have.  I will say that look pretty average to me, and we've caught these with them.  

PICT0213.JPG

My bait of choice is the leftover skin from some Trails End fried chicken.  

When the kids were smaller, I used some smaller hooks and filed down the barb a little. While there was risk of losing the big fish, it made it easier for the kids to get the fish off the hook without damage and return them to the water. The hooks were about half as wide as a penny. Hot dogs, cheese, and bacon were good bait.

I haven't fished The Fort yet, but I would agree with everyone else. Use a No. 2 or 4 or 6 J hook, take a pair of pliers and pinch down the barb as The Fort is strictly catch and release, and this will assist in the removal of the hook. You can find these hooks at any Wal-Mart that has a sporting goods section. They will generally be the size of the last digit of your thumb or smaller.

Cody

• 2 weeks later...

Forget the hooks and poles. I find a hollow reed, strip down to my nothingness, and wade into that canal until completely submerged. Then I just sits and waits fer the fishes to swim by. When I sees a bigun, I reach out real quick like and snag that sucker! Watch out fer the gators. You may have to wrassle a few to keep yer catch.

Forget the hooks and poles. I find a hollow reed, strip down to my nothingness, and wade into that canal until completely submerged. Then I just sits and waits fer the fishes to swim by. When I sees a bigun, I reach out real quick like and snag that sucker! Watch out fer the gators. You may have to wrassle a few to keep yer catch.

I'd be afraid of one of them big catfish latching onto your "hollow reed". 

• 7 months later...