Small DVC contract... Where would you buy?

I mentioned my idea to Jason about potentially buying a small resale DVC contract... Maybe 50 points... to use for a weekend trip occasionally when driving the RV down doesn't make sense. He was actually intrigued by the idea. I need to have him drink margaritas more often. His response was that if he can have a golf cart, I could buy a resale contract. This is a win-win for me! But I do need to find a pile of money somewhere.

So... If you were to buy a small amount of DVC points, where would you buy them? And why?

I've looked at buying a DVC on several occasions. I find that DVC-resales.com has a pretty good selection of properties. Their closing costs range start at $400.

I would look on Craigslist and eBay and see if there's anything available.

eBay seems to be companies listing for sellers and craigslist seems to have more individuals selling them.

The only thing I would be concerned about when buying from an individual is that there is no lien or any conveyances. If you buy from an individual and need help doing a title search let me know. I have to do that to every property we buy from sheriff's and tax sales. Also to save money once your confident that the title is clear, you can do a Quit Claim Deed. That will keep you from having to pay a closing/title company.

But if your not willing to go the Quit Claim Deed route and want title insurance, or a warranty deed, you'll need to go thru a closing/title company. Just like when you purchase a house.

That's kind of simplifying the process. If you get to that point, I'll try to help all I can with my limited knowledge, but I'm not a real estate attorney nor to I play one on T.V.

Good luck.

I've looked at buying a DVC on several occasions. I find that DVC-resales.com has a pretty good selection of properties. Their closing costs range start at $400.

I would look on Craigslist and eBay and see if there's anything available.

eBay seems to be companies listing for sellers and craigslist seems to have more individuals selling them.

The only thing I would be concerned about when buying from an individual is that there is no lien or any conveyances. If you buy from an individual and need help doing a title search let me know. I have to do that to every property we buy from sheriff's and tax sales. Also to save money once your confident that the title is clear, you can do a Quit Claim Deed. That will keep you from having to pay a closing/title company.

But if your not willing to go the Quit Claim Deed route and want title insurance, or a warranty deed, you'll need to go thru a closing/title company. Just like when you purchase a house.

That's kind of simplifying the process. If you get to that point, I'll try to help all I can with my limited knowledge, but I'm not a real estate attorney nor to I play one on T.V.

Good luck.

Did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night though?

I would buy from timeshare store or dvc resales ,mor at least someone of that ilk. The process will be streamlined and all above board vs. what you may get through a private "by owner" type sale.

If you are just looking for most bang for your buck, I would go SSR or OKW. You will get many more nights for 50 points than you could get at BLT, GF, WL, etc.

All good points I hadn't considered. I was asking which resort, but thanks for that info. Good stuff.

I don think it matters which resort you buy. Except that IIRC you'll be able to book your home resort earlier than DVC members that have a different resort. I'm sure a DVC member can clarify that.

I think I would pick AKV. Only because we loved it DD talks about it all the time.

I think AKV and SS seems to always have availability.

But AKV is a the furtherest resort from almost everything.

SS close to most stuff. But it doesn't have the "Disney" feel to me. Don't get me wrong it's beautiful and I'd like to stay there someday.

Beach Club was awesome! Sand bottom pool, lazy river, giant slide, and you can be in Epcot in like five minutes.

Yes. Yes I did.

What the heck do you think I do all day?

Service vending machine?

Oh wait. I do that also. Lol

Hey I have recieved mistake texts from you inthe past. I know what yu do sometimes....And no I still dont want to buy that house in OK. LOL

I think I would go with whatever has the cheapest maintenance costs. If you don't care where you stay, I'd go the cheapest route so I could pull the well it only cost x amount of dollars so let's add this or do that extra.

For basically this reason I would buy at OKW. The contracts there cost less plus they have a lower maintenance fee. Also, it is a beautiful resort and has some of the biggest DVC rooms.

You would be able to book OKW at 11 months, all other DVC resorts at 7 months.

SSR is probably also a good choice financially, I just personally don't like that resort as well as I like OKW.

We bought through The Timeshare Store and it all went fine. If you check out their website they have a pretty long list of what they currently have for sale. But they had told us that if you know what you want to let them know and they can notify you when it becomes available, before it goes on the listing.

You could probably check out some DVC resorts on your next trip! I remember at OKW they let us see an unoccupied room when we explained we were thinking of buying there. Not sure if they still do that but it's worth a shot.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that the Timeshare Store is a great company to use. We bought our original points at Hilton Head through Disney, but bought add-ons through the Timeshare Store at Old Key West twice. If I wanted to buy a small points package again, I would still choose OKW. The points are usually lower in cost and the rooms are bigger than any other DVC resort. I love the theming there too.

We bought our second contract through The Timeshare Store and were pleased too.  If you go to their website, you can sign up for emails from them that tell you what contracts they have, or you can just search on their site.  The process was very smooth and easy.

Definitely look at the maintenance fees when considering where to buy.  Other than that, the things I would think about are whether you think you'll have strong feelings about which resort to stay at on any particular trip and whether you think you're likely to want to go on peak crowd times (Christmas, Easter, etc.).  If you are flexible about where to stay, and if you don't think you'll be wanting to go at peak times, then I think you can choose your home resort based on cost factors rather than where you would actually be wanting to stay. We own at SSR and Vero, and have stayed at SSR only once and obviously never at Vero, but have used those points to stay at OKW, BWV and BLT.  And, I definitely plan to stay at AKL (which has definitely been available at different times we were looking at a trip, but we just haven't booked it yet), VWL and hopefully Poly (though I know that one will be harder to get for a while).  Also look at what year the points expire.  Somehow, my Vero points expiring in 2042 seems way too soon already!

Anyway, we love having DVC.  There's lots to think about, but it's worth it!  :)