Attn: Crafty People - How Would You Do This?

I shared this photo I ran across a while back and now I may actually have the opportunity to take a stab at something like this on a small hutch.

18b15c2ea0e9fe1656c98b807873cf65.jpg

Question is... I'm not sure where/how to start.

So that's why I'm asking all you crafty people - how would you go about doing this?

My big stumbling block right now is where/how to create stencils or decals like these? 

I'm assuming these don't exist anywhere (I haven't been able to find them) so it would be a question of either finding the fonts (or ones that are close) or redrawing?

Thanks to my day job, I know my way around Illustrator, but I'm also not looking to spend hundreds of hours on this.

All ideas, suggestions, resources gratefully accepted.  :)

There are numerous companies who cut custom stencils, but have you checked Hobby Lobby they carry a large assortment of Disney stuff.

I can find Disney character-type stencils pretty easily.  It's the words that are tough.

I did find some custom stencil companies, but by the time I'm done it would be one VERY expensive bureau.  8)

I'm looking on my phone, so maybe I'm not seeing it correctly. ..but it does not look like the font is Disney font, in which case I would paint the dresser, then use stencils and then distress it all. SUPER cute product....I may need to try this :)

A lot of that can be done using painter's tape. Paint the base color; Put down the tape; paint the cover color; remove the tape. Use a printer to print on card stock and cut out your own stencils. Two ways I thought of doing this.

If you found the fonts you like, maybe print them on regular paper then use transfer to get the outlines onto the dresser or cut your own stencils. Distress and the make a "antiquing" glaze that you can paint over the entire dresser to give it that faded look. We got a clear glaze at home depot that you could have tinted any color, did a dresser with the antiqued color, and had some with a little red in it we used on walls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSfj6eiNzew

If you don't like that idea, there is the dry transfer lettering method which I have used a lot. They're not stencils or decals and they have no noticeable thickness to them. They will require a certain amount of practice to do it right. Letraset, Chartpak are two sources and some craft stores carry them as well.

Find a shop that cuts custom stickers/decals and have them print it out. Put the stickers on then paint it then peel the stickers off.

I thought about that, but I'm trying to keep the budget down on this project.

I'm not crafty enough to accomplish that kind of project, but I wonder if you could find the word stencils or premade words in the scrapbooking section of any craft store.

Ooh... there's a thought.  I'd like the fonts to be similar to the real thing, but I might be able to come close enough.

Looks like I may be spending my lunch break at Hobby Lobby sometime this week.  8)

Ooh!!  There's some awesome stuff there.  Thanks Lou!

And I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner, but Etsy has a bunch of decals too.

This would be so much easier if I had a vinyl cutter.  :rofl2:

I looked at the dresser on Pinterest and her Facebook page. In the comments, she said she used a vinyl cutter and peeled them off after painting the dresser.

Yep - I think that's going to be the way to go.

Unfortunately without a vinyl cutter I'm going to have to find/buy the decals, but it's starting too look like Etsy might be a pretty good and relatively cheap resource.

The hutch I'm doing this on is already finished wood, and I'm not planning to strip it, so I think I'm going to try a two tone paint look.

Right now my plan is to paint it all in a darker color, apply decals, paint in a lighter shade of the same color, and then remove the decals.

That's my plan right now at least.  We'll see if it changes as I start getting into it.

Appreciate the input, everyone!

My suggestion would be to get all of your ideas together with the fonts and such and send them to super geek. Let him turn them into a vector file and cut them on vinyl or a roll of transfer tape and send it too you.paint the main color first and use the negative to paint the lettering or you can use just the lettering if you want to have it cut in color. I have seen people paint it backwards that described also.

Cheap cheap cheap.

That would be awesome Jen!

I'm not sure if I can track down vector versions of all the artwork out on the interwebz. 

I could finagle whipping up vector versions by redrawing stuff in Illustrator if I can clear some time. 

I can probably track down fonts that are "close enough" without too much trouble.

We'll see how it goes once I dive in.

Ray - see Jen's note re: vinyl cutters.  :)

That would be awesome Jen!

I'm not sure if I can track down vector versions of all the artwork out on the interwebz.

I could finagle whipping up vector versions by redrawing stuff in Illustrator if I can clear some time.

I can probably track down fonts that are "close enough" without too much trouble.

We'll see how it goes once I dive in.

Ray - see Jen's note re: vinyl cutters. :)

Lol. How did I miss her post.

• 2 weeks later...