Hi everyone! Some of you know I have a Disney podcast and write for a few mags and sites about the Fort. I got an interesting question from someone and I want to know does anyone remember this that can shed some light. Here is the question:

Do you remember the old windmill at fort wilderness it was said to be the original one Walt saw when he flew over the property. And the little prototype cabin out back they were thinking of adding them to the fort as little honeymoon cabins?

I'd like to answer them, but don't remember much of either one of these items...any of you guys know about them??

Thanks,

Rod Wheaton

There is an old windmill located near the horse barn at the Fort, which has been there since the campground opened, but I've never heard anything about Walt seeing it while flying over the Fort.  There are published stories about how Bay Lake caught Walt's eye, and how Walt and Roy drove the property to explore it.  But I've never heard anything about Walt seeing the windmill from the air.

The old cabin on the lake is a leftover from an experiment that took place in the 90's. They set that one cabin up on the 1200 loop, and used it as a rental.  When the experiment was over, it was moved to its current location.  It replaced an older cabin that sat in that same spot which was used for the old Marshmallow Marsh activity.  No guests ever stayed in that cabin in its current location.  And, I've never heard of any plans to use that style cabin as honeymoon cabins.  I doubt that was ever considered- this was a very rustic, KOA campground type cabin.

Whoever is asking you these questions has his/her facts confused.

TCD

Yes, I knew the idea of Walt seeing the windmill was silly. The story goes he saw Riles island from the air and fell in love with the place, but nothing about a windmill. I thought there might be an older windmill other than the one I know about. I think on Discovery Island there was a cabin that was occupied (before the land was purchased) by some hunters as a hunting camp and prior to that was actually a ham radio operators station. Most of what I've read on that is somewhat unconfirmed, and I know some of you have been staying here since the place opened and thought maybe someone might have some insight on either one that I'm not aware of. I intend to write them back, but I want to accumulate all the info I can first if anyone thinks of anything.

Cabin was a prototype. I remember seeing and hearing about it (90's sounds right) form one of the cast members back then. They were looking at alternatives to the trailers that they had (Fleetwoods if my memory is right). The trailers were expensive to maintain and replace. They decided that a true building type cabin would be less expensive in the long run.

I can remember loops being closed for refurbishment (trailer replacement) In the October - November time frames.

You guys mentioning the old marshmallow marsh makes me want to dig way back in my old trunk of pix at my moms house and find pictures from going on it as a teenager...

Cabin was a prototype. I remember seeing and hearing about it (90's sounds right) form one of the cast members back then. They were looking at alternatives to the trailers that they had (Fleetwoods if my memory is right). The trailers were expensive to maintain and replace. They decided that a true building type cabin would be less expensive in the long run.

I can remember loops being closed for refurbishment (trailer replacement) In the October - November time frames.

if you go to my Ft Wilderness scans web page the top scan is of the Terry Travel Trailers they rented. For some reason I think Terry was a Fleetwood brand

http://www.title-3.com/FWScans.htm

if you go to my Ft Wilderness scans web page the top scan is of the Terry Travel Trailers they rented. For some reason I think Terry was a Fleetwood brand

http://www.title-3.com/FWScans.htm

Yes Terry was made by Fleetwood, some of the trailers were used for the Olympics in Lake Placid. When I bought my 1st 5th wheel, which was a Terry, they offered us a deal to tow a unit down to the Fort for them using my truck and would receive a free stay at the Fort in the unit we brought and tickets to the park. I think that was back around 1980. Just a little info on the rental units I could share

Yes Terry was made by Fleetwood, some of the trailers were used for the Olympics in Lake Placid. When I bought my 1st 5th wheel, which was a Terry, they offered us a deal to tow a unit down to the Fort for them using my truck and would receive a free stay at the Fort in the unit we brought and tickets to the park. I think that was back around 1980. Just a little info on the rental units I could share

That's interesting on the Terry Trailer timeline.....

If there were still Terry Trailers at the Fort in 1980, when did the Wilderness Homes go in?

They were removed and swapped out with the Wilderness Cabins in 98-99 timeframe.

So at the very most the Wilderness Homes were 18-19 years old.

The Wilderness Cabins are now pushing 15-16 years old, so what will be next?

Or will there be a next?