You can bank points for only one year, so you would have 2 years points to use for a longer or higher level resort. And to confuse you even more you could bank & borrow..... but that's a different lesson.

Yes, I know many folks who both bank and borrow for a big trip every 3 years, using three years of points on one trip

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

EasyWDW has been posting some sponsored DVC resort reviews. Basically, a company is letting him have a 1 night stay for free in exchange for him posting a review. They've come at an interesting time b

Well most of us do not get those Florida resident discounts, so throw that out.     But I see where you are coming from now....you are looking at it SOLELY as a financial decision, with no touchy feel

I've done some math for y'all. It's not perfect but it will give you something to think about. If I book a room at AKL, thru Disney, for June 20-27, 2015 It would cost me $2670 If I use the company

No joke.

I've looked at DVC several times, and I don't understand how anyone can think it's a wise purchase.

To me, it's a larger scale, much more expensive version of the Disney Dining Plan.  You are prepaying a premium price for something that you are very unlikely to recoup.

TCD

I agree with you for the most part, however, I've been looking at small contracts around 50 points. That many points would allow me to stay 4-5 nights at some of the studios per year or 3 nights at others. 

Let's use an AKL listing as an example. That contract was for sale for $91 a point, so it would cost $4550 for me to by it. SSR and OLK are cheaper, but AKL expires 15 years after OKW. 

The dues on that contract this year would be $315 this year. 

Here's the thing though.... If they continue to offer discounts for members on AP, I would save arund $100 per person per year on APs for my family by being a DVC owner. Currently, it's $149 off per person for a new pass and $79 off for a renewal. Now, it's not a guarantee they'll keep that going, but I believe it's been happening for awhile. 

I agree with you for the most part, however, I've been looking at small contracts around 50 points. That many points would allow me to stay 4-5 nights at some of the studios per year or 3 nights at others. 

Let's use an AKL listing as an example. That contract was for sale for $91 a point, so it would cost $4550 for me to by it. SSR and OLK are cheaper, but AKL expires 15 years after OKW. 

The dues on that contract this year would be $315 this year. 

Here's the thing though.... If they continue to offer discounts for members on AP, I would save arund $100 per person per year on APs for my family by being a DVC owner. Currently, it's $149 off per person for a new pass and $79 off for a renewal. Now, it's not a guarantee they'll keep that going, but I believe it's been happening for awhile. 

OK-these are some good points, and more realistic than looking at the bungalow prices.

For that $4550 example, does that get your 3 nights per year in an AKL studio?  For how many years?

And, are you sure you can buy those points for $91 a point?  I've heard that Disney retains a Right of First Refusal, and that they buy back contracts that are too low so they can maintain the high prices they charge.

TCD

No joke.

I've looked at DVC several times, and I don't understand how anyone can think it's a wise purchase.

To me, it's a larger scale, much more expensive version of the Disney Dining Plan.  You are prepaying a premium price for something that you are very unlikely to recoup.

TCD

I am by no means a rabid proponent of DVC....although it's no secret that I have casually considered a small purchase someday.  I did want to address your comparison to the DDP though.....the main difference is that you cannot sell the DDP.  DVC is an actual asset which has residual value.  It can be sold, unless Disney decides at some point to clamp down on the resale market (which to some degree they have done I believe by eliminating some perks to those buying resale).  

In any case, I happen to believe that DVC can make sense for some people, depending on their vacation habits and future vacation plans.  Certainly not for everyone, and I've determined it doesn't make sense for me at this point, but for some I think it does.  

I am by no means a rabid proponent of DVC....although it's no secret that I have casually considered a small purchase someday.  I did want to address your comparison to the DDP though.....the main difference is that you cannot sell the DDP.  DVC is an actual asset which has residual value.  It can be sold, unless Disney decides at some point to clamp down on the resale market (which to some degree they have done I believe by eliminating some perks to those buying resale).  

In any case, I happen to believe that DVC can make sense for some people, depending on their vacation habits and future vacation plans.  Certainly not for everyone, and I've determined it doesn't make sense for me at this point, but for some I think it does.  

OK, that's a good point about it being an asset with value.  As I mentioned earlier, I've heard that Disney has been pretty proactive with Right of First Refusal exercises in order to maintain the artificially high value of these contracts.  I imagine that practice will continue for as long as they have inventory to sell.

You say DVC would make financial sense for some people.  Please give me an example.

TCD

You say DVC would make financial sense for some people.  Please give me an example.

I was thinking specifically of someone buying a small resale of enough points to get a handful of nights per year....or combined for a week every two years.  But they also use the AP discount.  I had done the math at one point after I made the mistake of staying at the YC....but the problem for us was that BC stays take a lot of points, and I really wasn't interested in other DVC's.  But if we were going to get APs and want to have a DVC stay every couple of years, it seemed to make sense (if you buy a less expensive resort like OKW and don't need the 11 month booking window as a more desirable home resort).  

I was thinking specifically of someone buying a small resale of enough points to get a handful of nights per year....or combined for a week every two years.  But they also use the AP discount.  I had done the math at one point after I made the mistake of staying at the YC....but the problem for us was that BC stays take a lot of points, and I really wasn't interested in other DVC's.  But if we were going to get APs and want to have a DVC stay every couple of years, it seemed to make sense (if you buy a less expensive resort like OKW and don't need the 11 month booking window as a more desirable home resort).  

Yeah, I still don't see the value.  As a Florida resident, I already can get a discount (plus no interest financing) on AP's.  And, there are AP and Florida Resident room offers all the time.

The person getting a deal on a resale purchase is benefitting from the loss of some poor sucker who overpaid for his points.

That said, I do understand the appeal.  It's kind of like a nice motorhome or boat. Or the proverbial beach condo. You really can't justify the cost of those kinds of purchases, but if that's what you and your family like to do, then it's "worth it" to you.

And, there's no doubt that I am in the minority with my views- Disney seems to be building and selling these DVC's as fast as they can.

TCD

I cautioned my brother and his wife against buying into DVC; for me, timeshares have never made a lot of sense.  I've always figured that if you want to stay in a nice hotel, then save up and stay in a nice hotel.  I've never understood the financial benefit of the program and the concern that I shared with my brother is that you're banking on the fact that you will be able to go on a nice vacation every year or every other year.  It would be wonderful if it always worked out that way however.... life has a way of getting in the way, so it seems like a big risk to me. 

The biggest financial problem with owning DVC, for us at least, is that we now travel to WDW many times more than we ever would have before.  We have stayed in many places we never would have stayed, in bigger units than we ever had before.  So while that doesn't actually qualify as a problem, it definitely has increased our overall WDW budget.  But dang, we have a good time there!

This.  I think in the long run, for many folks, they end up taking more (expensive) trips than they would have if they had not have purchased DVC.  

And, there's no doubt that I am in the minority with my views- Disney seems to be building and selling these DVC's as fast as they can.

True... and, hopefully, for those who have purchased, things work out well.  I mean, Disney is awesome (incl the property in Hawaii... BEAUTIFUL).

OK-these are some good points, and more realistic than looking at the bungalow prices.

For that $4550 example, does that get your 3 nights per year in an AKL studio? For how many years?

And, are you sure you can buy those points for $91 a point? I've heard that Disney retains a Right of First Refusal, and that they buy back contracts that are too low so they can maintain the high prices they charge.

TCD

I've seen AKL sell even a little lower than $91 a point, so yes that price is possible.

50 points could get you 5 week nightstand a studio there in the lowest season.

Yeah, I still don't see the value.  As a Florida resident, I already can get a discount (plus no interest financing) on AP's.  And, there are AP and Florida Resident room offers all the time.

The person getting a deal on a resale purchase is benefitting from the loss of some poor sucker who overpaid for his points.

That said, I do understand the appeal.  It's kind of like a nice motorhome or boat. Or the proverbial beach condo. You really can't justify the cost of those kinds of purchases, but if that's what you and your family like to do, then it's "worth it" to you.

TCD

Well most of us do not get those Florida resident discounts, so throw that out.  

But I see where you are coming from now....you are looking at it SOLELY as a financial decision, with no touchy feely emotional aspect to it.  I don't have a spreadsheet on that....but I'm sure someone who has actually purchased DVC can give a better argument on it, including residual resale value if one does a 10 year modeling, etc.  You'd also have to compare apples to apples....including dining costs if having a villa reduces the amount you dine out, etc.  There are LOTS of variables, and as Leslie said, having DVC changes the way you vacation, so it would be a tough thing to calculate.  

I think the long and short of it is this.....the mouse is going to get your money one way or the other.  So choose the way that makes you the happiest.  

I've seen AKL sell even a little lower than $91 a point, so yes that price is possible.

50 points could get you 5 week nightstand a studio there in the lowest season.

Your autocorrect got you there.

A 5 week nightstand for 50 points sounds like it would be worth doing just to say you did it, but please fix that sentence so I know what your really meant.

The resale market sounds like where a savvy buyer should purchase DVC points.

TCD

TCD

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but if you aren't one who is tied to holiday week vacations and/or don't have a strong preference for a home resort, I'd buy a resort that is cheaper on resale AND has lower maintenance costs.  When I looked into it, I was leaning toward OKW.  

Just throwing this out there, but even if you buy enough points to book a bungalow at the Poly, it doesn't mean you'll be able to book it.  With a limited number of bungalows you'll be competing with all the Poly DVC owners to book it, then after the advance window you'll be competing with all the other DVC owners.  Isn't it hard to book the two story villas in BLT?  I would think the bungalows would be harder to book then those.

WBI

Just throwing this out there, but even if you buy enough points to book a bungalow at the Poly, it doesn't mean you'll be able to book it.  With a limited number of bungalows you'll be competing with all the Poly DVC owners to book it, then after the advance window you'll be competing with all the other DVC owners.  Isn't it hard to book the two story villas in BLT?  I would think the bungalows would be harder to book then those.

WBI

Oh brother.

Well, $139K doesn't go as far as it used to.

TCD

Your autocorrect got you there.

A 5 week nightstand for 50 points sounds like it would be worth doing just to say you did it, but please fix that sentence so I know what your really meant.

TCD

50 points could get you 5 weeknight stay in a studio there in the lowest season.

50 points could get you 5 weeknight stay in a studio there in the lowest season.

Now that sounds like an OK deal.

BTW-sorry for getting off the topic of your original post- which is that your boyfriend is writing a series of articles about the DVC properties.  I just read his Villas at the Wilderness Lodge review, and he says it's his favorite property.  So, he's not all bad.

I think it's pretty sweet that someone is paying for him to stay at all of those properties in exchange for him writing the reviews.  What a deal.

TCD

I've done some math for y'all. It's not perfect but it will give you something to think about.

If I book a room at AKL, thru Disney, for June 20-27, 2015

It would cost me $2670

If I use the company I've used before it would cost me $1624. (116 points rented at $14/ point)

I've seen AKV for $81/ point. And from I've heard that's about as low as Disney will allow.

116 points at $81/ point = $9396 plus $5,97/ point maintenance fee = $692.52/ year and goes up every year.

So if I went for 20 years, and prices stayed the same. I would spend $32,480 to rent a villa.

If I was to buy it and pay maintence fees for 20 years it would cost me $23,246.40

A difference of $9233.60

But if I invested the original cost if the DVC in a good mutual fund I'll turn that $9396 into about $12,506.00 in 20 yrs. ($3273 profit).

So after 20 yrs I would have saved $ 5960. Over just renting points

And yes there's the DVC member perks.

First, I want to say that this thread has forced me to waste entirely too much time today!  I decded that in the interest of figuring out how we've been using our DVC membership since we bought it in the summer of 2012 (direct from Disney) and then added on around fall of 2013 (resale).  So far, we've gone on 8 trips using DVC points that I can remember, including a week at Aulani. It's far too advanced math for me to figure out whether it was worth it, on a financial basis only, for us to do it through DVC rather than through WDW, but I definitely believe that it has been worth it overall for us.  We have gone on more trips than we would have otherwise, we have stayed longer on some of the trips than we would have otherwise, and we have stayed in nicer resorts with a lot more space than we would have otherwise.  Plus, we have gotten good use out of the APs that we bought at a discount, whereas before I alwsays just bought regular tickets for each trip.  Plus, the APs allow me to get Tables in Wonderland, which saves money on dining.  And both DVC and the APs will get a discount in the stores.

For us, it's been great.  It lets us go to WDW far more than we would let ourselves without it, which is a winner for me.  It's definitely not for everyone, but I'm so glad to have it.  I've even thought about getting to take grandchildren on the same memberships we have now one day.  (No day soon!!!!  We love Mr. Napkinbra but we're not going there anytime soon!   :popo: )

I think it's pretty sweet that someone is paying for him to stay at all of those properties in exchange for him writing the reviews.  What a deal.

No kidding.  Where do I sign up?

Good post, Ray.  From a strict dollars and cents analysis, it's hard to justify buying in to DVC.

But Leslie's post is good too.  Buying in to DVC isn't about saving money.  It's about buying in to a style of touring that some folks really love.  Over the years, I've met many very passionate DVC owners who really love DVC, and think it's the greatest thing ever.  And there are a lot of them.

It's working for Disney, and the DVC owners are happy, so what I think doesn't matter.

I just hope we never have bungalows blocking our view of Bay Lake from the Fort.

TCD

First, I want to say that this thread has forced me to waste entirely too much time today! I decded that in the interest of figuring out how we've been using our DVC membership since we bought it in the summer of 2012 (direct from Disney) and then added on around fall of 2013 (resale). So far, we've gone on 8 trips using DVC points that I can remember, including a week at Aulani. It's far too advanced math for me to figure out whether it was worth it, on a financial basis only, for us to do it through DVC rather than through WDW, but I definitely believe that it has been worth it overall for us. We have gone on more trips than we would have otherwise, we have stayed longer on some of the trips than we would have otherwise, and we have stayed in nicer resorts with a lot more space than we would have otherwise. Plus, we have gotten good use out of the APs that we bought at a discount, whereas before I alwsays just bought regular tickets for each trip. Plus, the APs allow me to get Tables in Wonderland, which saves money on dining. And both DVC and the APs will get a discount in the stores.

For us, it's been great. It lets us go to WDW far more than we would let ourselves without it, which is a winner for me. It's definitely not for everyone, but I'm so glad to have it. I've even thought about getting to take grandchildren on the same memberships we have now one day. (No day soon!!!! We love Mr. Napkinbra but we're not going there anytime soon! :popo: )

No kidding. Where do I sign up?

Well said Leslie.

This is why someday I hope to own a DVC.

We own points at Wyndham Bonnet Creek and we love it. For many of the same reasons you stated. It was basically given to us so it's easier to justify the maintenance fees.

I feel if you enjoy it and can afford it that is all that matters. I have read on other boards how people like to tell others how to use their points, like it is not worth it to use on a cruise, rent your points then pay cash for the cruise, also it a bad choice to use your points for a campsite. My thoughts have always been if I enjoy the way I use OUR points that's all that matters to me. Sorry almost sounds like a Toll rant.