Howdy folks!  My husband, mother, two pups and I are contemplating purchasing an RV!  We love FW and while we had a horrible rental experience last September, we are ready to commit to an RV.  I grew up with grandparents who owned RV's their whole lives so the experience isn't that new to me.

We're down to deciding between a Windjammer by Rockwood and a Laredo by Keystone.  They are both in the 35' ballpark and both offer the layout and features we're looking for - 50 amps, two A/C's, etc.  Each has several features over the other, so to speak.  One, the Windjammer, is several thousand dollars more than the other.  However, we have read (and read and read...  :P ) online that Rockwood puts out quality trailers.  We'll be in a 2015 Expedition with the heavy duty towing package so we should be fine weight wise in either. 

This is our first RV - so any advice is welcome and hoped for.  Thanks!! 

:mh1: Welcome!!!

We just went through the buying process ourselves (actually, I guess we are still going through it as we are suppose to pick up our camper next weekend).  We ended up purchasing a Jayco, but had considered a Keystone.  We read/heard mixed reviews on the Keystone and opted to go for the Jayco as we felt that the quality was a little better.  The only real "tip" I can give you... is (if you can avoid it) DON'T buy from Camping World!  

Again.. welcome!!  Glad you're hear :)

I know more about the windjammer than the Laredo. I have towed a windjammer and it towed very easy on a vehicle where it was at its limits. The vnose helps a lot in the aerodynamic department and also helps to reduce sway. I have towed a unit similar to the Laredo and it was more difficult to tow.

We have a Rockwood 8312ss and have had really good luck with it. We did have one issue which was not a big problem that Rockwood addressed quickly. I prefer the appliance brands in the Rockwood over the ones in the Keystone. Seems to be easier to work on/find parts when needed.

Rockwood is known for not insulating their outside kitchen causing some issues with temp control in the room it bits up against.

Make sure you really need that 50amp service. Not every campground has 50amp access and the only big reason for it is a second ac unit. If you have to use a dog one to get connected to a 30amp only site, you wont be able to use that second ac unit anyway. A single 15k ac should cool the unit well unless you are sitting in the sun and it is 120 outside. It may not be worth the extra cost to have that 50amp and second ac added. Just something to consider.

If I think of anything else I will post it later. Good luck with your decision and welcome to the board.

We have a sister unit of the Windjammer, a 2009 Flagstaff V-lite and love it.  One of the most important things that we were looking at when purchasing our travel trailer was to have a torsion-flex suspension verses a leaf-spring suspension.  Both the Windjammer and V-lite models have the torsion-flex suspension.  You ask why this might be important -- lack of sway!  It tows so much better.  Our first experience with a torsion-flex suspension was with a cargo trailer that we loaded to the gills with DS stuff and drove him from NY to FL for college (and back).  The trailers with this type of suspension just track and follow the tow vehicle so much better.  By the end of the first trip with the cargo trailer I could watch a trailer going down the highway and tell which had leaf-spring and which had torsion-flex suspension.  So when it came to the TT that was the first criteria.

Okay, with that being said we love our V-lite and have not had problems with it.  If I were to upgrade at this time I would, in fact, go to the Windjammer line because we noted that had a slightly larger door openings, larger gray water and fresh water holding tank when compared to the V-lite at the time we were looking.  This was several years ago so those things may have changed. 

When we purchased the V-lite we also purchased a Reese torsion flex set up right through the RV dealership (anti-sway) and it works wonderful.  We have a 07 Tundra 4 wheel-drive TRD off road package and find that using the "tow haul" button makes life better.  One word of caution, you will want to make sure that your tow vehicle has properly rated tires for towing, because improper tires can create a lot of problems with handling. 

Welcome, I would pass on the Keystone have not heard very good things on them. The Windjammer by Rockwood is a Forest River product and we have had very good luck with our unit plus very good factory support. Good luck & enjoy which ever one you choose.

Well...we went with the Laredo!   :banana: Good or bad, right or wrong - we made the decision and we're on our way to being RVers!!!  We can't wait to explore and learn.  My mother had a stroke almost three years ago and we now live each day knowing that what's around the corner is a huge mystery and that we should seize the day.  Thanks everyone and I'll see you on the boards as an RV owner and not just a lurker wannabe.   :lol: