Nacole,

I know you are getting great info and do not want in inundate with more, but I don't think anyone has asked if you have a multi-meter.

If you do, I'd check charge voltage back to battery at the 30 amp fuse with shore power hooked up and then at the battery terminals. I do not think there is a fuse at the converter itself for the charge circuit but could be wrong, so check there as well.

If no multi-meter, get one. Harbor Freight for $5 (or even free if you have a coupon). Then keep it with the trailer.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

When we sold our older MH to our daughter the first thing I emphasized was to get and learn to use a multimeter, preferably and auto-ranging, digital model.  I know there are some specialized cases where an analog meter would be best, but for maybe 99% of what you need, a digital is best.  (99% is an WAG on my part and not to be taken absolutely accurate.)

If I had paid closer attention to mine, I would have known I had a hot skin condition (or the MH did), and that the transfer switch was wired wrong.  Fortunately it was only a light tingle when I touched it.

When we sold our older MH to our daughter the first thing I emphasized was to get and learn to use a multimeter, preferably and auto-ranging, digital model.  I know there are some specialized cases where an analog meter would be best, but for maybe 99% of what you need, a digital is best.  (99% is an WAG on my part and not to be taken absolutely accurate.)

If I had paid closer attention to mine, I would have known I had a hot skin condition (or the MH did), and that the transfer switch was wired wrong.  Fortunately it was only a light tingle when I touched it.

Thank you... I had looked on Amazon and there are so many options!  It's all very confusing to me :(

Nacole, I think I got mine at Radio Shack (if you can still find one).  It has 6 or seven switch positions for various functions, but you will likely only use about three of them, for DC and AC voltages; and ohms for testing fuses and looking for wiring shorts.  It has a rubberized case for moderate dropping, which I do occasionally.  It has reverse polarity protection, so when I hook the leads backwards, it doesn't burn out the meter.  It has auto-ranging so you don't have to know what value you might measure; the meter will adapt to whatever it is.  It has automatic shut off, so if you leave it on accidentally, it will shut itself off to preserve the internal battery.  I think it was in the $30-35 price range.  It has some other stuff on it, but most has never been used.

Some models come with clips either on the ends of the leads or separately to slip on the leads.  This can be a convenience to help free up a hand, but mine does not have clips.  Small alligator clips are also available at Radio Shack (if you can still find one) that can be used.  And prices at Radio Shacks (if you can still find one) have been drastically reduced.

Nacole, I think I got mine at Radio Shack (if you can still find one).  It has 6 or seven switch positions for various functions, but you will likely only use about three of them, for DC and AC voltages; and ohms for testing fuses and looking for wiring shorts.  It has a rubberized case for moderate dropping, which I do occasionally.  It has reverse polarity protection, so when I hook the leads backwards, it doesn't burn out the meter.  It has auto-ranging so you don't have to know what value you might measure; the meter will adapt to whatever it is.  It has automatic shut off, so if you leave it on accidentally, it will shut itself off to preserve the internal battery.  I think it was in the $30-35 price range.  It has some other stuff on it, but most has never been used.

Some models come with clips either on the ends of the leads or separately to slip on the leads.  This can be a convenience to help free up a hand, but mine does not have clips.  Small alligator clips are also available at Radio Shack (if you can still find one) that can be used.  And prices at Radio Shacks (if you can still find one) have been drastically reduced.

Thank you :)    Yes... sadly most of the Radio Shacks have closed.