Wilderness Lodge DVC expansion?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Updated info from WDWMagic.  Follow the link for photos...

Closures at Disney's Wilderness Lodge to support the DVC expansion to begin in October 1 hour ago in "Disney's Wilderness Lodge Resort"
With the completion of the Disney Vacation Club Villas and Bungalows at Disney's Polynesian Resort, attention is now switching to Disney's Wilderness Lodge, which will undergo a similar expansion to the Polynesian.

Disney has started to advise guests arriving in the fall that a number of leisure and recreation ammenities will be unavailable from October 26 2015.

The main impact will be to the Hidden Springs leisure pool, the resort beach, the playground and the fire pit. During the closure of the leisure pool, the main feature pool will continue to be open as normal.

The nature trail, boat and bike rentals, and spa treatments will also be unavailable from October.

The project will see the addition of 26 waterside bungalows, similar to the recently opened Bora Bora Bungalows at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort, although the Wilderness Lodge units are not built over the water. Also part of the plan is an expanded pool area, a new restaurant and recreation areas.

The project is expected to extend through to the end of 2017, although Disney has not yet given any details or announced the DVC expansion project.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/disneys-wilderness-lodge-resort/news/10jul2015-closures-at-disneys-wilderness-lodge-to-support-the-dvc-expansion-to-begin-in-october.htm

• 2 months later...

Official announcement came today...
(thanks Jason!!)

Wilderness Lodge cabins, new villas confirmed
Written by Tim Krasniewski on
September 22 2015 . Posted in Villas at Wilderness Lodge News

Disney Vacation Club has issued a press release confirming plans to add new waterfront cabins and deluxe accommodations at Disney's Wilderness Lodge.  The project is described as the 14th DVC destination and second development at the Wilderness Lodge.  

b_600_450_16777215_00_images_stories_vwl

WIlderness Lodge renovations (Summer 2015)

(Press Release)

DISNEY VACATION CLUB ANNOUNCES PLANNED DEVELOPMENT PROJECT AT
DISNEY’S WILDERNESS LODGE

Celebration, Fla. (September 22, 2015) – Today, Disney Vacation Club announced its next planned project will be at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge, located on Bay Lake at Walt Disney World Resort.

The planned project at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge, when completed, will be the 14th Disney Vacation Club development and the second at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge. Current plans call for the resort to feature deluxe accommodations, including waterfront cabins. In addition to the Disney Vacation Club project, other guest areas within Disney’s Wilderness Lodge are scheduled to undergo substantial enhancements and refurbishment, including new recreation and food and beverage options. More information and project details will be shared at a later date.

Disney Vacation Club debuted in October 1991 with a flexible, vacation point-based model rather than the traditional fixed-week timeshare model. Since its inception nearly 25 years ago, Disney Vacation Club has grown to include member families from all 50 states and approximately 100 countries who have discovered the joys of membership. Earlier this year, Disney’s Polynesian Villas & Bungalows opened as the third jewel in the Disney Vacation Club monorail crown, offering Disney Vacation Club members and guests the opportunity to stay in Deluxe Studio villas and over-the-water Bora Bora Bungalows, which have been very well received by both Disney Vacation Club members and guests.

Disney Vacation Club members are able to choose from among a variety of vacation destinations, including a stay at any Disney Vacation Club Resort or at thousands of other resort destinations around the world. And, when they purchase directly from Disney, members also can take trips on one of the Disney Cruise Line ships or guided vacations with Adventures by Disney using their membership. Additionally, vacations at a Disney Vacation Club Resort can last from one night to several weeks.
###

http://dvcnews.com/index.php/resorts-48755/villas-at-wilderness-lodge-21845/news-4168/3091-wilderness-lodge-cabins-villas-confirmed

It's interesting that they're calling this a second DVC at Wilderness Lodge, as in it's not part of the existing DVC there.

If this sells well, it's only logical that they'll move a bit east on Bay Lake to the old River Country site for their next project.

TCD

Yep and it will be worth a bundle!

Wonder if the Walt's Train Room is going away?

I don't think so. No construction going on in the existing villas building. They're converting some rooms in the main lodge to DVC and building separate cabins along the water. So they shouldn't be anywhere near the Iron Spike room! But then again we have the history of poor decisions on Disney's part...

I don't think so. No construction going on in the existing villas building. They're converting some rooms in the main lodge to DVC and building separate cabins along the water. So they shouldn't be anywhere near the Iron Spike room! But then again we have the history of poor decisions on Disney's part...

They could turn it into a Frozen Museum

• 3 months later...

We need pictures

Ask, and you shall receive. It looks like the boat rentals are no longer there and I believe the cabin in the pics is where you rented the boats. I also included a pic of bike parking at the lodge. That was never there before and it looks like a last minute idea. How about a golf cart parking area ?

25BD7238-4A47-4DB7-BE3E-5D1EBDAA92B6.jpg

1D4EF3DB-269F-4346-98AF-6D6FFF185028.jpg

152396A4-D735-4549-AE84-2C1625EBFF3D.jpg

Good job, S71!

You are correct- that shack is where they handled the boat and bike rentals.

The area around it used to be wooded.  Now it's not.

I've heard that the DVC pool is completely gone now- and that the place where it used to be is filled in and level.

You got any pics of that?

TCD

I was lucky to get the pictures that I did, chasing my kids down the wilderness trail… LOL I did not even know they had a pool at the DVC. Sorry if I knew that I would've tried to get more pics

Ask, and you shall receive. It looks like the boat rentals are no longer there and I believe the cabin in the pics is where you rented the boats. I also included a pic of bike parking at the lodge. That was never there before and it looks like a last minute idea. How about a golf cart parking area ?25BD7238-4A47-4DB7-BE3E-5D1EBDAA92B6.jpg1D4EF3DB-269F-4346-98AF-6D6FFF185028.jpg152396A4-D735-4549-AE84-2C1625EBFF3D.jpg

If those bike racks are at the backside of the building where the sidewalk splits to go to the boat rental to the right, and to the main pool to the left, then they have been there a while. We parked our bikes there during one of our fort trips, must've been way over a year ago.

We tried to bike up the old lakeside trail yesterday day behind River Country to get a better look at what was happening but it's all posted NO GUESTS ALLOWED.  If you know the road between the Fort and the Lodge both the spot where gate is and about half way up the trail are posted.  

If those bike racks are at the backside of the building where the sidewalk splits to go to the boat rental to the right, and to the main pool to the left, then they have been there a while. We parked our bikes there during one of our fort trips, must've been way over a year ago.

No those bike racks are right before the bus stop on the sidewalk coming from the wilderness trail