Globetrotting: to Disneyland Paris and back with TCD

Finished!  Finally!  Kept getting waylaid by life but always had this to come back to and now it's finished.

A few thoughts, you make me want to visit Dublin and London. 

The train to DLP sounds like fun.  The castle in DLP is beautiful.  From your photos it looks prettier than MK's castle.  But of course not seeing it in person makes a difference.

The dragon under the castle...perfect!

Cool you got a reply from the camplessground management.. sure hope you are able to use the free stuff.  At least they gave you some time to do so.

My DH is a hot dog lover, told him about your Paris hot dogs, he is interested.   The hotel you stayed at was perfect for sight seeing.  I like that you took the tour bus during a rain storm.  And then used what you saw from the bus to visit later.  The animal statues outside the museum are amazing

All your FP+ hacks are good to know.

Thanks for this TR and the many more you have written.

Thanks for reading the whole thing, Gretchen.

It's hard to believe that trip was just a few months ago- it seems so much longer to me now.

It's also funny to me how my memories of the trip are turning out.

I don't think I liked DLP too much when I was there, but as I look back now, I think that I really did like it, and I want to go back.  Same with Davy Crockett Ranch.  I have to believe that they will polish things up for the 25th anniversary.  I'm going to try real hard to get back there for that.

Those Paris hot dogs are great.  I want another one of those, too.

TCD

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is comforting to me that even though I have been gone from FF a lot, and have missed out on so much, your selfies still suck.  The familiarity of it makes me feel right at home.   Carry on.

I agree with Dave. I bet salami and cheese were on the menu. Although if she was waving that stuff around I'm sure you would have accepted. Or maybe she assumed you had already had your horse grill yo

Did you try the cinnamon rolls at that quaint little coffee shop?  

Another reason to thank Gretchen!  

I had taken some time away from FF.net.  It's hard to read about WDW and FW when I have no trips planned.  I came back to try to get the ball rolling for WWW 2016 and at least have tentative dates.  

But I forgot about the bonus content in this TR so i never finished reading it.  Thank you,  Gretchen for popping it back up to the top!

I have gotten to finish reading it today while my kids watch Bother Bear.  

I think I better go make sure i read all the 4th of July TR.

You are certainly welcome Marty, I enjoyed reading it and makes me want to go to those places too.

BTW TCD, could you please explain the hot dogs again?  Was it one long dog or two small?  What else was in it besides the cheese.  DH liked the idea of cheese on a dog.  He loves his dogs, when we go to PA to visit his relatives the first, very first, place we go is his favorite local hot dog shop.

Pete's Hot Dogs!

BTW TCD, could you please explain the hot dogs again?  Was it one long dog or two small?  What else was in it besides the cheese.  DH liked the idea of cheese on a dog.  He loves his dogs, when we go to PA to visit his relatives the first, very first, place we go is his favorite local hot dog shop.

Pete's Hot Dogs!

There were two small hot dogs on the ones I got.  They make them to order, so you can have your choice of toppings in addition to the cheese. They had all kinds of stuff- you know goose liver, snails, the works (just kidding).  The best part of the whole thing was the fresh baguette they serve it on.  You also get your choice of mustard.  And those French folks know their mustard.  I went with the one a notch under what they called spicy.  And that was plenty spicy for me.

TCD

• 3 weeks later...

Michigan has played well since losing to Utah, but ND let one get away against Clemson.

And the Lions continue their quest to be 0-16 again.

Go Gata

Just noticed your location. I was out of the house for several years before they moved but all I used to hear from my folks and little brother was Michigan this and Michigan that. I still have a bunch of the Rose Bowl High Ball glasses they sent me over the years.

As far as the Lions go don't get your hopes up for a 0-16 season they have yet to play the Bears this season whom I'm sure will lose at least one of the match ups to ruin it for you. Go Bears.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

TCD, I just read you were in Disney Land, I hope you plan on doing a trip report! Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, I was, and yes I am.  But you already know that.

Thanks for this awesome report!  I'm hoping to make it to DLP for the half marathon next September, and we want to make that part of a trip to other parts of Europe.  Definitely lots of stuff to think about!

A half marathon in Paris?  Way cool.  I hope that you make it, and that thinks have settled down over there by then.

I am now doubly/triply glad that you got to go on this trip "when" you did and that you reported on it.

Just got word that certain US Government personnel and contractors cannot go to France on personal travel for the time being.

The attacks happened while we were in Disneyland, California.  My oldest daughter and I looked at maps to see where the attacks actually took place.

It makes my blood boil to think about these animals and what they're doing to innocent people.

I am thankful that we did not experience any of that, and I am sorry that things have deteriorated to the point that our government is restricting travel there.

TCD

• 8 months later...

Guess this is getting to be common over in Disneyland Paris

August 10 2016

Disneyland Paris train station is evacuated after suspect package is found just yards from the theme park

• Hundreds of people including families with children caught up in drama
  • Marne-de-la-Vallée station was shut as a 'precaution', according to police
  • Police and soldiers flooded the area around 20 miles from central Paris  
  • Incident follows warnings ISIS see popular attraction as a prime target
  • Disneyland Paris attracts more than ten million visitors each year 

It is the third time in as many weeks that suspect packages have been found at Marne la Vallée station.

All train traffic was halted on July 18 and 20 when bomb disposal experts attended the scene. The packages were declared safe.

Now plain clothes anti-terrorism officers are among those mixing with the vast number of uniformed officers trying to keep the area safe day-in, day-out.

This latest incident follows warnings from terrorist groups including Islamic State and Al-Qaeda that Disneyland is a prime target.

In January a man was arrested in a hotel in the hugely popular leisure complex carrying two handguns, ammunition, and a 'guide to the Koran'.

Full article     http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3733706/Disneyland-Paris-evacuated-suspect-package-train-station-neighbouring-theme-park.html#ixzz4H1XduW5A

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3733706/Disneyland-Paris-evacuated-suspect-package-train-station-neighbouring-theme-park.html#ixzz4H1XxmDiN
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

Guess this is getting to be common over in Disneyland Paris

August 10 2016

Disneyland Paris train station is evacuated after suspect package is found just yards from the theme park

• Hundreds of people including families with children caught up in drama
  • Marne-de-la-Vallée station was shut as a 'precaution', according to police
  • Police and soldiers flooded the area around 20 miles from central Paris  
  • Incident follows warnings ISIS see popular attraction as a prime target
  • Disneyland Paris attracts more than ten million visitors each year 

It is the third time in as many weeks that suspect packages have been found at Marne la Vallée station.

All train traffic was halted on July 18 and 20 when bomb disposal experts attended the scene. The packages were declared safe.

Now plain clothes anti-terrorism officers are among those mixing with the vast number of uniformed officers trying to keep the area safe day-in, day-out.

This latest incident follows warnings from terrorist groups including Islamic State and Al-Qaeda that Disneyland is a prime target.

Wow.

This is a big deal.

The train station that they closed isn't the little one in the theme park- it's a gigantic regular train station that serves this entire region.  It's the station where we arrived on the Eurostar from London and rented our car.

I can imagine that there are major security issues there.  The trains that arrive there come from all over- and a lot of the passengers on those trains do not go through any kind of security screening.

Scary stuff.

TCD

• 1 month later...
On 11/20/2015 at 3:10 PM, Tri-Circle-D said:

A half marathon in Paris?  Way cool.  I hope that you make it, and that thinks have settled down over there by then.

TCD

Well, my husband and I went to France Sept 1-17 this year, missed out on the DLP half by about a week (maybe next year!), and had a wonderful time.  I was re-reading your report in advance and just got through the rest since my return.  We flew in and out of Paris, but only stayed a couple days there on either end of the trip.  Went to Reims, Colmar, Cluny, Lyon - so much great food, great wine and wonderful experiences.  I hope you get to go back and visit more areas in France!  So many beautiful places.

IIRC, you have the Wine & Dine half coming up.  Looking forward to your report and hope you have lots of fun.

14 hours ago, LWQuestie said:

Well, my husband and I went to France Sept 1-17 this year, missed out on the DLP half by about a week (maybe next year!), and had a wonderful time.  I was re-reading your report in advance and just got through the rest since my return.  We flew in and out of Paris, but only stayed a couple days there on either end of the trip.  Went to Reims, Colmar, Cluny, Lyon - so much great food, great wine and wonderful experiences.  I hope you get to go back and visit more areas in France!  So many beautiful places.

IIRC, you have the Wine & Dine half coming up.  Looking forward to your report and hope you have lots of fun.

That sounds like a nice trip!

Too bad you didn't get to run the Disneyland Paris Half.  It looks like it was fun.

You are right, the Wine and Dine half is coming up!  If I survive, there will be a trip report.

TCD

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

Are the picture links on this report broken now? I know someone wanting to go.... sadly, it's not me. 

It seems like all of my Photobucket photos in all of my TR's are not working at the moment.

I went to Photobucket to see what was up, and the whole site is down with a message that they're doing maintenance and will be back shortly.

I hope my photo links will work then.

You should go with the someone who wants to go.

TCD

• 1 year later...

My oldest daughter is in France now.  They went to Disneyland Paris earlier in the week.

Wasn't very crowded from the pictures they took.  They did both parks.

She said they love fires in the parks and there are none or minimal barricades around the items that have flames.

In fact she said there were very few chains/barricades blocking you at the ride entrances where you get onto the rides. 

Guess it's just the USA that is lawsuit happy... gotta keep them lawyers fed!

Only complaint she had, was that the parks were open until 8, they went in and headed to go see the Pirates, and that area was closed at 7:00.  They skipped Star Tours just so they could go see Pirates.

She loved Hyperspace Mountain

12 minutes ago, Travisma said:

My oldest daughter is in France now.  They went to Disneyland Paris earlier in the week.

Wasn't very crowded from the pictures they took.  They did both parks.

She said they love fires in the parks and there are none or minimal barricades around the items that have flames.

In fact she said there were very few chains/barricades blocking you at the ride entrances where you get onto the rides. 

Guess it's just the USA that is lawsuit happy... gotta keep them lawyers fed!

Only complaint she had, was that the parks were open until 8, they went in and headed to go see the Pirates, and that area was closed at 7:00.  They skipped Star Tours just so they could go see Pirates.

She loved Hyperspace Mountain

Cool!

They are celebrating their 25th anniversary this year, so things must be spruced up from the time I was there. I've seen a lot of snow photos from Disneyland Paris this winter. It would be weird to be in a theme park with snow. 

Space Mountain was down for refurbishment when I was there. I'm planning to go back just to ride that. 

Just a couple weeks ago, Bob Iger made a big announcement about a $2 Billion overhaul of the parks. I'd like to get back there before they start all of that construction. 

TCD 

9 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Cool!

They are celebrating their 25th anniversary this year, so things must be spruced up from the time I was there. I've seen a lot of snow photos from Disneyland Paris this winter. It would be weird to be in a theme park with snow. 

Space Mountain was down for refurbishment when I was there. I'm planning to go back just to ride that. 

Just a couple weeks ago, Bob Iger made a big announcement about a $2 Billion overhaul of the parks. I'd like to get back there before they start all of that construction. 

TCD 

I saw a couple of pictures with a 25 emblem on different items.

She said it was cool and rainy the first day. 

Not a lot of people, must be nice not getting run over by strollers or chanting Brazilians!