Okay Fiends.  Let's pretend that every truck cost the same.  Let me know what make/model you would purchase and WHY.  We are looking for a used, DIESEL, truck... but are vacillating between make/model and 2 wheel vs 4 wheel drive.  Currently, we live in GA (which means no real snow) but could make a change in few years. Only must (outside of used & diesel) is crew cab (the style with 4 real person doors).  When it comes to Ford, we're pretty sure we'd stay away from the 6.0 as we've heard too many "not good" stories.  We need to stay under $30k (as much under as possible... but then we start to tackle super high miles :(  ).

So... what say you!

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes... we're having a lot of fun :)

I think it's a great color, just not for a truck :D Go Vols!

To me, a buyback is the same thing as a lemon. Will they disclose the reason for the buyback? Also, if it is a buyback, it probably will decrease its resell value. Just a thought. For GMC, I have not

Wow you are not trying to start any fights are you??  LOL. 

For me I would consider a 2011 or newer F250 or even and F350 depending upon your current towing needs and possible future needs. This will put you in the 6.7 Diesel and they tow very well.  Of course the Crew Cab set up for all the room.  As for 2WD or 4WD that is based upon your needs.  I live in NW Georgia and while I am not using it for snow I do use it everytime we park our camper at my wifes aunt's house.  We park it in the grass and you would not believe how slick grass or Georgia clay can be.  My first truck was an F150 2WD and there were many times that I wish I had the 4WD option.  You may also want to look at the RAM trucks as they run some great deals on them.

Now with all that said most of the newer trucks on the market (Ford, Dodge, Chevy) will do well for you.  However, look at what you are towing now and what you may tow in the future and figure out your payload capacity becuase that is the 1 weight that you will usually max out long before the tow capability of the truck.  I have learned this lesson and have traded a great F150 to buy a F250 and now wish I had gotten the F350. 

Good luck and have fun in your search!

Have you looked on cars.com? I don't know where you live, but for instance I found this truck. I used it when we were looking for our Yukon XL. I put in a zip for Atlanta for these below.

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/639122936/overview/

Not a 6.7, but low miles and under your price range. I think to get a decent 6.7 you are going to have to go up to at least $35,000.

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/638735499/overview/

Best Regards,

Norm

IMO, the size of the back seat in the GM/Chevy products was dwarfed in comparison to the Ford and Dodge/Ram. I did like the Mega Cab in the Dodge/Ram, but prior to 2013, their payload numbers were pathetic compared to a similarly equipped crew cab.

People-mover-ness, my wife felt the Ford truck was more "work truck like" than she liked.

I prefer a 4x4 truck, but it does make it taller (which I dislike).

I prefer a long bed truck.

We had an F-350 crew cab dually and loved it.  We got the dually so we could carry the golf cart in the bed.  The only reason we sold it after 10 years was that we bought the moho.  If we ever went back to a TT we would only buy another F-350.

I agree with weekender, and Doug.

IMHO......Heavy duty trucks tend to be weight distributed forward, which means the rear end seems light to the overall "balance" of the truck. I point this out, because everyone that I know would never own another 2 wheel drive heavy duty truck. Backing up in loose gravel, wet grass, wet pavement, on the slightest incline will cause the truck to spin. I have seen many dually's,  two wheel drive stuck when trying to backup , and you would think with the additional weight of the dually this would not be an issue, but it is. And by the way, the only way to unstick a Heavy duty truck is with another Heavy duty truck (or larger), so it makes it that much more worrisome to get one stuck. I think your two "must haves" should be 4 wheel drive, and Crew Cab.

Okay... just realized that he'll probably be coming behind me tonight, to read what y'all have said.  Don't get any ideas babe... remember what Mike said, "don't buy a boat... just find a friend who owns one" :)

Good feedback on the truck so far Fiends... keep the suggestions coming!!

IMO, the size of the back seat in the GM/Chevy products was dwarfed in comparison to the Ford and Dodge/Ram. I did like the Mega Cab in the Dodge/Ram, but prior to 2013, their payload numbers were pathetic compared to a similarly equipped crew cab.

People-mover-ness, my wife felt the Ford truck was more "work truck like" than she liked.

I prefer a 4x4 truck, but it does make it taller (which I dislike).

I prefer a long bed truck.

That's why I bought my 2015 2500 Chevy Silverado crew cab.  I took the dog cage and folded up the back seats and attempted to put the cage on the back seat floor.  The new style Chevy was the only one beside the Ram Mega Cab the cage would fit on the back floor and not having to move up front seat even more.  I couldn't get the cage in any of the Fords, older GMs or the regular crew cab Rams.  My boss just bought a brand new F250 Crew Cab King Ranch (It's good to be the boss) and both his kids agree that my back seat area has more room.  Even the back doors are longer.

Okay... just realized that he'll probably be coming behind me tonight, to read what y'all have said.  Don't get any ideas babe... remember what Mike said, "don't buy a boat... just find a friend who owns one" :)

Agreed.  I live in a private lake community and we don't have a boat anymore.  Between the camper, street rod and muscle cars, & pets, I have enough money pits.

That's why I bought my 2015 2500 Chevy Silverado crew cab.  I took the dog cage and folded up the back seats and attempted to put the cage on the back seat floor.  The new style Chevy was the only one beside the Ram Mega Cab the cage would fit on the back floor and not having to move up front seat even more.  I couldn't get the cage in any of the Fords, older GMs or the regular crew cab Rams.  My boss just bought a brand new F250 Crew Cab King Ranch (It's good to be the boss) and both his kids agree that my back seat area has more room.  Even the back doors are longer.

I had heard the same- that the newer Chevys rear seat got bigger. Nice to hear that they've surpassed the others. :) I'll admit- I've got some truck envy at times!

Okay... just realized that he'll probably be coming behind me tonight, to read what y'all have said. Don't get any ideas babe... remember what Mike said, "don't buy a boat... just find a friend who owns one" :)

Hogwash!

Get a dang boat!

I own 5 boats and my FIL owns 2. Boating is one beat was to spend a weekend.

"A happy man is a generous man!"

Hogwash!

Get a dang boat!

I own 5 boats and my FIL owns 2. Boating is one beat was to spend a weekend.

"A happy man is a generous man!"

Ok yes I own 5 boats but it's not as cool as it sounds.

We have a 25' pontoon.

A canoe

A kayak

A paddle boat that we use on our pond

A Bass buster I use to go fish farm ponds.

And might be buying a paddle board for this weekend but I don't think that counts as a boat. Lol.

Seems like this thread was hijacked a little sooner than normal. Full disclosure, I have two boats and we are looking for Kayaks.......I love to be on the water as much as anyone. I was just trying to help Nacole out when her husband reads the thread....LOL....so much for that idea.

As long as you are avoiding the 6.0 go drive the rest and see what you like and what fits your budget. 08 and up ford's have the best tow mirrors. And if it is a lariat or above they are power folding which comes in very handy. I will also say any truck that has to be modified to tow your camper is not what you want. You want your truck close to stock so if you do have trouble 1000 miles from home the dealer near you will have the parts and you won't be stuck for 2 or 3 days just waiting on parts. We had a blow out at the Louisiana Texas border (this was back when I would lift and modify my trucks) I had larger then stock tires after putting on my tiny spare I started calling tire shops and I couldn't believe no one had the size I needed. I had 3 options. 1- wait where I was for 2 days for a tire to come in 2-drive 800 miles with no spare and pick up a tire in Orlando. Or 3- back track to Houston 120 miles which I did. Had I still had stock size tires or even close to it this wouldn't have been a issue.

Wow you are not trying to start any fights are you??  LOL. 

For me I would consider a 2011 or newer F250 or even and F350 depending upon your current towing needs and possible future needs. This will put you in the 6.7 Diesel and they tow very well.  Of course the Crew Cab set up for all the room.  As for 2WD or 4WD that is based upon your needs.  I live in NW Georgia and while I am not using it for snow I do use it everytime we park our camper at my wifes aunt's house.  We park it in the grass and you would not believe how slick grass or Georgia clay can be.  My first truck was an F150 2WD and there were many times that I wish I had the 4WD option.  You may also want to look at the RAM trucks as they run some great deals on them.

Now with all that said most of the newer trucks on the market (Ford, Dodge, Chevy) will do well for you.  However, look at what you are towing now and what you may tow in the future and figure out your payload capacity becuase that is the 1 weight that you will usually max out long before the tow capability of the truck.  I have learned this lesson and have traded a great F150 to buy a F250 and now wish I had gotten the F350. 

Good luck and have fun in your search!

What he said. I have a 2011 F250 crew 4x4 6.7 diesel. It's a beast, but rides great. My only regret...not getting one sooner