• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes... we're having a lot of fun :)

I think it's a great color, just not for a truck :D Go Vols!

To me, a buyback is the same thing as a lemon. Will they disclose the reason for the buyback? Also, if it is a buyback, it probably will decrease its resell value. Just a thought. For GMC, I have not

If money was no object I'd get a blown out super duty platinum. Since money is, I have a 2002 ram with a diesel -makes 460 ft/lbstorque gets great mileage, BUT- you can get an f150 eco boost with max tow and it will have almost 450 torque. If it's power you are after, I will tell you my Dodge is really powerful towing, and I couldn't imagine having the 6.7 ford diesel with 800 torque and I also couldn't imagine the payments either at this point in my life. I think you should consider a 3.5 ecoboost crew cab- at least test drive one

My truck makes max at 1600 or so, an ecoboost, depending on year will make max at 1650 to 2300. I just caution buying a high mileage diesel for $30,000 when you could have something with similar power without worrying about the sometimes crazy maintenance cost (like the 10000 bill above).

Thanks. The ecoboost isn't much different from my Armada. We get 385 ft lbs of torque at 3000 rpms and the eco boost is 420 at 2500 so not a huge difference. The HP is slightly higher than ours. I am looking for the high torque at low RPM's and most diesel people have said for pulling in hilly or mountain terrain there is no difference. Diesels will also last longer so yes the high maintenance but if you factor overall costs not a huge difference. As for high price now for high mileage yes that is the issue we are dealing with. I have spent many years in the auto industry from the banking side and still in that arena so I am very up to date on the costs and values. The one big difference is diesels hold their value so much more than gassers. I am not afraid of high mileage I am afraid of how the previous owner took care of their vehicle. If I was going to look at the Ford ecoboost than it wouldn't make any sense for me to get one because I have a Nissan Armada. It pulls fine on flat land it is the hills that we have issues. I am not crazy about spending any more money trust me but if the wife would stop upgrading the camper I wouldn't have too :) sorry honey couldn't resist. 

Just keep in mind as others have said here. While the diesel engine lasts a long time other things on the truck wear out just as they do on gas engine trucks. So the engine might have lots of miles left but the rest of the vehicle could have seen better days. 

If you were starting out fresh, what do you purchase first?

Do you purchase the trailer first then buy a TV that would haul it?

Or do you buy the TV first then a matching trailer?

Another dumb question, do you really need that big of a trailer that you have to buy a monster TV?

Unless you are living in the trailer the majority of the year, wouldn't it make more sense to downsize a little?

I'm just asking, we have a small PUP that I can roll into place by pushing it.  It serves us fine for the amount of time we use it.

Now if I was retired and utilizing it the majority of the year, I would probably go a little bigger and sturdier.

But to me, investing $20-40K in a trailer that might get used 6 weeks a year and another $35k in a TV  is a bit much.

But again, that's just me.

If you were starting out fresh, what do you purchase first?

Do you purchase the trailer first then buy a TV that would haul it?

Or do you buy the TV first then a matching trailer?

Another dumb question, do you really need that big of a trailer that you have to buy a monster TV?

Unless you are living in the trailer the majority of the year, wouldn't it make more sense to downsize a little?

I'm just asking, we have a small PUP that I can roll into place by pushing it.  It serves us fine for the amount of time we use it.

Now if I was retired and utilizing it the majority of the year, I would probably go a little bigger and sturdier.

But to me, investing $20-40K in a trailer that might get used 6 weeks a year and another $35k in a TV  is a bit much.

But again, that's just me.

Valid points however... we JUST bought this TT at the end of April so we would loose money if we tried to do anything with it.  We bought it with the intention of using it for the next 10 years, as our children grow.  Our family vacation memories will centered around this purchase.  Yes, it stinks that we have to purchase a newer/larger TV so soon... but I knew we would have to make a change in a few years anyway, as the TV we bought is a gas powered Armada that had 141k miles on it when we purchased it last year (did this, because we could pay cash for it and we had a hybrid at the time).   

Yep, stinks that we're looking to purchase a newer TV sooner than I had anticipated but honestly... I LOVE the camper and I LOVE spending time with my family outdoors.  This world stinks, a lot of the time, and camping is the one thing that (for now) still seems sacred; people are still nice... most of the time.   My husband is not a huge outdoors man (except he does love water sports... or should I say did, before 3 back surgeries), but I love the outdoors, so this TT allows us all to be happy and comfortable.   If forces you to spend time together which, I think, is awesome. 

We just had a mama in our homeschool group, age 37 with 4 sweet beautiful babies, diagnosed with colon cancer.  The prognosis is not favorable and we are praying, asking God to spare her life.  So... do I wish that we have didn't have debt on a TT and now are looking to have a large payment on a TV?  You bet.  But are we going to camp and praise God that we are healthy and safe... absolutely.  Can't look back and undo what we've done (without loosing a good bit of money by trying to sell/trade in a new camper).... instead we'll just research and do our best to find a good, safe, durable, reliable TV at a payment that we can afford.

Plus... who knows, maybe God will bless Tom with a job that allows him to work remotely FT and then we'll follow Doug and his family around the country ;)

Valid points however... we JUST bought this TT at the end of April so we would loose money if we tried to do anything with it.  We bought it with the intention of using it for the next 10 years, as our children grow.  Our family vacation memories will centered around this purchase.  Yes, it stinks that we have to purchase a newer/larger TV so soon... but I knew we would have to make a change in a few years anyway, as the TV we bought is a gas powered Armada that had 141k miles on it when we purchased it last year (did this, because we could pay cash for it and we had a hybrid at the time).   

Yep, stinks that we're looking to purchase a newer TV sooner than I had anticipated but honestly... I LOVE the camper and I LOVE spending time with my family outdoors.  This world stinks, a lot of the time, and camping is the one thing that (for now) still seems sacred; people are still nice... most of the time.   My husband is not a huge outdoors man (except he does love water sports... or should I say did, before 3 back surgeries), but I love the outdoors, so this TT allows us all to be happy and comfortable.   If forces you to spend time together which, I think, is awesome. 

We just had a mama in our homeschool group, age 37 with 4 sweet beautiful babies, diagnosed with colon cancer.  The prognosis is not favorable and we are praying, asking God to spare her life.  So... do I wish that we have didn't have debt on a TT and now are looking to have a large payment on a TV?  You bet.  But are we going to camp and praise God that we are healthy and safe... absolutely.  Can't look back and undo what we've done (without loosing a good bit of money by trying to sell/trade in a new camper).... instead we'll just research and do our best to find a good, safe, durable, reliable TV at a payment that we can afford.

Plus... who knows, maybe God will bless Tom with a job that allows him to work remotely FT and then we'll follow Doug and his family around the country ;)

I can understand where you are at.  So you went the trailer first route and are now matching a TV to it.

I wish you luck on your upcoming trips and hope you get a lot of use out of the TT and whatever TV you decide on.

I just think it's odd that some people spend enormous amounts of $$ on rigs, and they sit in their driveways most of the year.

I've seen numerous ones around our area just slowly deteriorating.

That's why we didn't want to invest a lot in a PUP.  We are always so busy on weekends that it's hard to get away.

But my GD is dropping one of her gym classes that met every Friday evening, so now we might be able to get away more for 3 day mini vacations.

Break one and see if you still have that opinion.  Have a high pressure fuel pump come apart on you and watch (in my case) as they take the cab off and keep the truck two and a half weeks while they replace the whole fuel system.  In the meantime, work with a campground owner who wants you gone, but there's no one willing to loan you a truck so you can move your trailer (it ain't like I wanted to be there, either). (Can't count on Good Sam, either. Your off the road & safe - they wash their hands of you.)   BTW, next time you're at a dealer, go to parts and have them price a new high pressure fuel pump for you.  I think mine was about $4,000.  Just the pump...  Still want to go with new diesels are all that inexpensive?

We are talking about maintenance, not possible problems they can see during regular use......

We're a 2009 F450 with the 19.5 inch wheels.  It's our only vehicle (we're full timers - we consider the truck part of our house.).  Oil changes run $110 and done about every 4,000 miles.  Fuel filters about $200 or so and done every 8,000 miles.  Oil changes are about every two months with the fuel filters every other oil change - all done on mileage.  We're a pre DEF truck, so all dpf cleans are by heat (and lots of it).  Don't do those oil changes on time and you run the risk of fuel dilution of the oil which I'm told isn't all that good for your engine. (According to people posting on the www.thedieselstop.com forum, things like dropped valves, broken rockers, etc)  I haven't done that, yet, but I know it's out there.

Sound like you could benefit from one of the newer trucks, less oil change, cheaper fuel filter....could cut your costs a bit   :)

I can understand where you are at.  So you went the trailer first route and are now matching a TV to it.

I wish you luck on your upcoming trips and hope you get a lot of use out of the TT and whatever TV you decide on.

I just think it's odd that some people spend enormous amounts of $$ on rigs, and they sit in their driveways most of the year.

I've seen numerous ones around our area just slowly deteriorating.

That's why we didn't want to invest a lot in a PUP.  We are always so busy on weekends that it's hard to get away.

But my GD is dropping one of her gym classes that met every Friday evening, so now we might be able to get away more for 3 day mini vacations.

I agree... if you have one, use it!  So far, we have 44 nights scheduled (some completed) for this year and I'm trying to fit in another 4 or 5.  My goal is 40 - 60 nights per year.

I'm going to go out on a limb and I'm guessing that Dodge was owned by an older gentleman and possibly used to pull a camper, because I don't know many people who would buy that color. The GMC is not a diesel  just in case you didn't know. Both seem like pretty good deals and I think you can probably talk the Dodge down a little more.

Do a car fax on them though to see where they came from and or problems, but the Dodge may still have factory warranty on it.

Best Regards,

Norm

Looks like the Dodge will have a warranty, plus a big gas tank, but only 2WD.

I'm on my second Dodge in 13 years.

Didn't have anything aggressive.

I got a 2002 Ram 1500 when the body style changed.

2 door, 6 cylinder, short bed.  Just got rid of it a couple of months back.

Had normal maintenance on it.  Transmission was repaired under warranty

Had front end rebuilt around 80K miles

Replaced the radiator

PROS: 

Looked good even after 13 years

Ran good

Good on gas

Pulled my PUP

No really major issues

Was good on tires

Didn't replace the plugs until 140K miles

CONS:

Wasn't a 4 door

Dash cracked, Chrysler wouldn't cover it

They don't have grease fitting on any of the suspension parts (not sure if Ford or Chevy does either)

Just picked up a used 2006 Ram 1500, 8 cylinder with 4 DOORS!

My granddaughters love the back seat.  They have more than enough room.

Haven't driven it a lot, I have a beater I use during the week for work and around town running.

We have taken 3 drives to Orlando, once pulling the PUP.  Wouldn't even know it was back there.

It has a selective transmission option.

Normal is Overdrive

Has trailer towing mode which locks out OD so it doesn't want to shift as often with a load and alters the shift points

Both off, no OD or towing.  Changes the shift points.

I'm sure since yours is newer and a diesel things have already been changed

I've always liked Plymouth/Dodge products.

I've never been a big Ford or Chevy fan.

My 3rd car in HS back in 72 was a 1970 Road Runner.

Wish I still had it...

I'm going to go out on a limb and I'm guessing that Dodge was owned by an older gentleman and possibly used to pull a camper, because I don't know many people who would buy that color. The GMC is not a diesel  just in case you didn't know. Both seem like pretty good deals and I think you can probably talk the Dodge down a little more.

Do a car fax on them though to see where they came from and or problems, but the Dodge may still have factory warranty on it.

Best Regards,

Norm

Nope... missed that it was a gas truck, thank you.

Dodge... yeah, not our favorite color.  The 2WD is a hiccup for us.  Not a deal breaker, but as Tom has said... we don't want to buy something now, only to wish in 6 months that we had spent a few thousand more for a couple of more options.  Because I do want the ability to tow easily through mountains and someday we could move where snow happens more often (although I pray this is not the case!), we would prefer 4WD.

If the mileage on the Dodge is really in the 29K range it looks like a good deal. I suspect you can get it for less if you are willing to negotiate with the dealer. Based on the pictures it appears to be in good shape and I would consider it worthwhile to see it in person and take it out for a test drive.

If the mileage on the Dodge is really in the 29K range it looks like a good deal. I suspect you can get it for less if you are willing to negotiate with the dealer. Based on the pictures it appears to be in good shape and I would consider it worthwhile to see it in person and take it out for a test drive.

Tom drove it a few days ago and he did like it.... but then he drove a newer Ford F250 (2011 I think); the one with the 6.7 engine.  He liked the Dodge, but he loved the Ford.  If the Dodge was a 4WD truck, that might sway him today.  The torque in the Ford is really impressive however...

The Dodge is still a consideration though as the mileage/price are decent.

Tom drove it a few days ago and he did like it.... but then he drove a newer Ford F250 (2011 I think); the one with the 6.7 engine.  He liked the Dodge, but he loved the Ford.  If the Dodge was a 4WD truck, that might sway him today.  The torque in the Ford is really impressive however...

The Dodge is still a consideration though as the mileage/price are decent.

Well it sounds to me like everything has been decided. Your going with the Ford.  ;)