Rumor: Disney Hollywood Studios Expansion

I know there have been lots of rumors about what's coming next to HS in recent years, but it appears the Disney board has approved a budget for something.  A lot of speculation in this article and nothing official has been announced yet.  Follow the link for more...

...we hear that the Disney board may have approved a $3 billion overhaul of Disney’s Hollywood Studios, which could eventually include a larger Star Wars, Indiana Jones and Pixar presence.

This latest rumor comes from Billy Donnelly over at This Is Infamous, who has had his hand on the pulse of Disney World developments. He calls the massive $3 billion overhaul “the biggest theme park expansion Disney has ever set out to do.” Full information on the new Disney’s Hollywood Studios will likely be announced at this year’s D23 Expo in Anaheim this August but here are some of the rumored details:

• Disney’s board has approved $3 billion for a massive overhaul of the Studios park, “complete with rebranding to better reflect the shift away from how movies are made to more how they live and breathe inside of us.” So basically it will be more about the magic of the movies than the magic of making movies — i.e. it will be more like the other Disney theme parks.

• A lot of the park’s older attractions are shuttered, including some of my favorite attractions at that park, like Muppet Vision 3D and the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular.

• Here is a list of the attractions that will supposedly remain after the overhaul: The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, Rock ‘N’ Roller Coaster, Toy Story Mania (which will reportedly add additional track) and the Great Movie Ride (which has recently gone through refurbishment thanks to the Turner Classic Movies sponsorship).

The updated park will be “dominated” by Star Wars, Pixar and Indiana Jones.

• The Star Wars expansion will include “a Dagobah centerpiece” where Echo Lake and Gertie the Dinosaur currently sit. Star Tours will remain, and other attractions will be added, although no details have leaked yet on those. The Jedi Training Academy will be relocating indoors to an existing building.

• An updated version of the Indiana Jones Adventure from Disneyland will supposedly be added.

• Pixar Place will expand further, moving into the place where the Studio Backlot Tour used to exist, supposedly with three new attractions. (No word yet on what those will be.) Donnelly theorizes that construction could already be underway behind closed gates to allow a quicker opening, a practice Universal Studios has employed to great effect.

Also: No word on the time frame to complete this massive overhaul, but it will likely be done in phases or waves to keep rides open during the transition.

http://www.slashfilm.com/disney-hollywood-studios-changes/

They better not close the Muppets!!!

The Muppets 3D show at Disney's California Adventure is closed and gone.  I've heard DHS's is going to meet the same fate.  It's hard to understand the thinking on this, since there's a new Muppets show coming out on ABC in the fall.

They need to hurry up.

LOL.  At the pace Disney has gone lately, we aren't going to see any of this stuff until the next decade.  This is going to come after the new Frozen ride at Epcot, and Avatarland and the new nighttime show at Animal Kingdom.

TCD

The Muppets 3D show at Disney's California Adventure is closed and gone.  I've heard DHS's is going to meet the same fate.  It's hard to understand the thinking on this, since there's a new Muppets show coming out on ABC in the fall.

With the new show coming out and the success of the recent movies, you'd think they'd at least just update the film.  The theater itself underwent a big refurb not too long ago.

But then you're right - at the pace things go, and with all the big projects already underway, who knows how many years it would be before things were finished.

Then again, if the money is approved, I wouldn't put it past them to start yet another major project any time now. I'd assume the bulk of the planning has already been done.

• 3 weeks later...

Rumored Star Wars themed shops coming -  from Chip & Co...

You may have heard the when Shanghai Disneyland opens they will have a Star Wars themed store. It is supposed to have experiences that will take you above and beyond. According to my sources there might something very similar to that store coming this fall. It is supposed to be like a gift shop on steroids. So a gift shop and then some. There might also be some props from the movie coming out the end of the year and some things from past movies. It will also include the D-Tech Me experience where you can scans your likeness for action figures. There might be Star Wars characters too!

I was told this new shop might go in the Inovenentions building at Disneyland. At Disney World it might go in the Magic of Disney Animation building,  since they did just shut that down.

I know many of you are getting pretty excited right now but this is not supposed to be permanent. It will just be a place holder, so to speak, until Star Wars Land opens up. If it makes you feel any better the shop will change with every new Star Wars film that is released. Maybe that means that the shops will have the first look at the new trailers when they are released.

http://www.chipandco.com/star-wars-shops-disney-216306/

Rumored Star Wars themed shops coming -  from Chip & Co...

http://www.chipandco.com/star-wars-shops-disney-216306/

Woo Hoo!

Great news.

I was just thinking the other day while visiting DHS that the place needs more gift shops!  And more Star Wars stuff to buy!  Maybe they can have a permanent area selling those $400 Star Wars works of "art."  Yay!

While they're at it, I wish they would bring back the Wandering Oaken's Trading Post.  They need more Frozen stuff in the park too.

TCD

Yes.  Sarcasm.

BTW- this might be a good place for me to mention that the TCD twins and I have purchased tickets for the D23 Convention in Anaheim for Saturday, August 15.  The twins need to be there on the 16th to check in to their Disneyland College Program, so the timing of this was fortuitous.

The 15th is when a presentation about the future of the parks will be made, and is the likely time for a big announcement about DHS.

I'm sure the internet will explode before I get a chance to share what we hear, but we will hear it first!

TCD

I'm sure the internet will explode before I get a chance to share what we hear, but we will hear it first!

TCD

Ooooh... exciting!!!  (not sarcasm)

I'm planning to listen to the live stream if the day job doesn't get in the way.

But I'll have my phone on me, so feel free to text me anything fun you learn.  :)

Ooooh... exciting!!!  (not sarcasm)

I'm planning to listen to the live stream if the day job doesn't get in the way.

But I'll have my phone on me, so feel free to text me anything fun you learn.  :)

Where do you listen live?

Where do you listen live?

They've live streamed some stuff off the website in the past.  I'm keeping tabs on the Disney Parks Blog and keeping my fingers crossed that they'll be doing it again this time.

If not, I'll be bouncing back and forth between the fan sites that will be attending that will probably be tweeting like maniacs.  8)

BTW- this might be a good place for me to mention that the TCD twins and I have purchased tickets for the D23 Convention in Anaheim for Saturday, August 15.  The twins need to be there on the 16th to check in to their Disneyland College Program, so the timing of this was fortuitous.

Does that mean you are D23 members?

Spoke with some workers today and they are expanding DHS. The announcement is supposed to come next month- August. He didn't have any details but did say they were delayed. I can't remember who he said was paying for it but since it was being funded by someone else that the resort was glad to wait since the bill was being paid by someone else.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I'll have you on speed dial.

Seriously, though, I doubt that I will be able to compete with the professional bloggers who will be in attendance.

Does that mean you are D23 members?

No.  The site is selling one day passes to anyone.  I've never been to one of these deals, and I am very confused about what to expect.  There was a long list of directions in our confirmation email setting forth the rules about showing up the night before to wait overnight to enter.  I don't understand what that is all about.  I also saw that D23 members will be admitted an hour earlier than us dumb slobs who just have one day passes.  The twins have been scouring the Interwebz for hints and pointers about what to do and how it's done, but I am really not understanding what all is going to be happening there.  I figured if we had the passes we would be able to do whatever there is to do in there, but apparently there's stuff I don't know about.  I'm afraid we're going to be like the dummies who show up at 11 am on a Star Wars Weekend expecting to do the Star Wars stuff at DHS.

What I think we have going in our favor is that there's a Pixar presentation that is going on during the same time as the parks announcement presentation.  We are hoping that other presentation will draw people away from the one we are planning to go to.

Spoke with some workers today and they are expanding DHS. The announcement is supposed to come next month- August. He didn't have any details but did say they were delayed. I can't remember who he said was paying for it but since it was being funded by someone else that the resort was glad to wait since the bill was being paid by someone else.

What is being "funded/paid by someone else?"  The park expansion?  I haven't heard that rumor, and it doesn't make sense to me.  I'm sure Disney would love it if an outside company would sponsor all or part of the expansion, but I don't see that as being likely.  They can't even get sponsors for individual attractions anymore. 

TCD

I'll have you on speed dial.

Seriously, though, I doubt that I will be able to compete with the professional bloggers who will be in attendance.

I'd rather have my information firsthand from a Fiend on the Scene.  :)

What is being "funded/paid by someone else?"  The park expansion?  I haven't heard that rumor, and it doesn't make sense to me.  I'm sure Disney would love it if an outside company would sponsor all or part of the expansion, but I don't see that as being likely.  They can't even get sponsors for individual attractions anymore.

Maybe they were referring to the fact that Disney corporate approved a bunch of money, vs it coming straight out of DHS' operating budget??

And hey, Glidden is going to give us something cool at Epcot soon!

(ok wishful thinking)