With thanks for the Fiend on the Scene reporting, I pilfered this from another thread...

I also noticed we have a screen now with bus times but it points away from the people sitting on benches. I kept telling my husband about the other resorts having them then saw it as we were driving off in a bus.

These monitors have been in several of the other resorts for a while now. 

Here's what the one at Animal Kingdom Lodge looks like...

15553868351_43c4d8ee01_b.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/retokurmann/15553868351/

Ha, I have to laugh at myself. When I first read the thread topic, I honestly envisioned "Bus Monitors" riding the bus, standing by the door in the aisle checking for freeloaders with coolers headed to the pool! :popo:  

Me too.  I was hoping they were going back to the good old days where you had to show your paper ticket with your name and dates you were staying to be able to ride the bus and boats.

And making sure that the SUV sized strollers were folded up before the bus arrives.

That is awesome. Last time we were at the fort we waited forever to get to DHS and knowing when the bus would show up would have helped with the kiddos

We've used them at AKL when we were resort hopping.  Gives you a chance to decide where to go next.  We jumped on a bus to HS then to the Fort instead of waiting for one to go to the MK bus depot.

We've used them at AKL when we were resort hopping.  Gives you a chance to decide where to go next.  We jumped on a bus to HS then to the Fort instead of waiting for one to go to the MK bus depot.

I didn't even think about that possible use.  Good thinking!

I generally have great luck with buses, but you never know if the bus to where you want to go left right before you got there, so this is a great feature for setting realistic expectations. 

TCD

I didn't even think about that possible use.  Good thinking!

I generally have great luck with buses, but you never know if the bus to where you want to go left right before you got there, so this is a great feature for setting realistic expectations. 

TCD

The Metro subways in DC have the same thing, lets you know how long of a wait until your ride arrives.  They also have blinking lights in the platform floors when the train is about 30 seconds out.  Gives you a chance to back away from the edge and gather your kids and stuff up so you are ready to load up as soon as the riders exit.  And you don't have a lot of time before the closing doors announcement starts.

The Metro subways in DC have the same thing, lets you know how long of a wait until your ride arrives.  They also have blinking lights in the platform floors when the train is about 30 seconds out.  Gives you a chance to back away from the edge and gather your kids and stuff up so you are ready to load up as soon as the riders exit.  And you don't have a lot of time before the closing doors announcement starts.

The municipal bus systems in Tallahassee and Gainesville (and probably a lot of other cities in America) have apps which customers can download and which show them, in real time, where their bus is in relation to the bus stop.  Disney could co this if they wanted to, but they probably don't want guests in the low rent resorts to see all of the buses being diverted to the deluxe resorts.

These video monitors should have been in use a long time ago.  It's good they've at least taken this step.

TCD

The municipal bus systems in Tallahassee and Gainesville (and probably a lot of other cities in America) have apps which customers can download and which show them, in real time, where there bus is in relation to the bus stop.  Disney could co this if they wanted to, but they probably don't want guests in the low rent resorts to see all of the buses being diverted to the deluxe resorts.

These video monitors should have been in use a long time ago.  It's good they've at least taken this step.

TCD

Interesting, we had just learned of this mobile app feature when we were visiting the University of Florida last month during our son's Summer B preview.

What an awesome way of keeping track of the buses whereabouts when you might be running short of time between classes.

Interesting, we had just learned of this mobile app feature when we were visiting the University of Florida last month during our son's Summer B preview.

What an awesome way of keeping track of the buses whereabouts when you might be running short of time between classes.

DC has their Circulator busses tracked on an app.  Not sure about the regular Metro ones.  The Circulators run on about 5 different loops.  Costs a dollar a ride.  We used the one that ran past all of the monuments.  That one only runs on the weekends.  The regular $40 a person tour busses must hate it.

Congratulations to you and your son!

My daughters use those apps all the time- they will time leaving their apartments so they arrive at the bus stop at the same time as the bus.  Its a great feature.

TCD

DC has their Circulator busses tracked on an app.  Not sure about the regular Metro ones.  The Circulators run on about 5 different loops.  Costs a dollar a ride.  We used the one that ran past all of the monuments.  That one only runs on the weekends.  The regular $40 a person tour busses must hate it.

It's pretty sad when you see the great public transportation other states and even other areas of Florida somehow can afford to provide to their citizens, yet we in the Tampa Bay area have virtually nothing.

TCD

My daughters use those apps all the time- they will time leaving their apartments so they arrive at the bus stop at the same time as the bus.  Its a great feature.

TCD

It's pretty sad when you see the great public transportation other states and even other areas of Florida somehow can afford to provide to their citizens, yet we in the Tampa Bay area have virtually nothing.

TCD

Short sighted politicians and their backers.  They only want to add on to existing highways.  They now want to do the $$ express lanes and take out more neighborhoods in the process.

It's amazing how old Disney's monorails are, but they are still pretty reliable.  More cities could use that technology, and it uses a lot smaller footprint than on the ground light rail and roads.

Short sighted politicians and their backers.  They only want to add on to existing highways.  They now want to do the $$ express lanes and take out more neighborhoods in the process.

It's amazing how old Disney's monorails are, but they are still pretty reliable.  More cities could use that technology, and it uses a lot smaller footprint than on the ground light rail and roads.

Short sighted and crooked.

I have a daughter moving to Miami, and they have a pretty nifty (and supposedly safe) Metrorail system that runs through the city and to the airport.  Something like that would be nice to have at TIA.

TCD

TCD

TCD

Thanks TCD, He's (and Mom & myself) very excited to be a part of the Gator Nation. He has lots of friends already attending there, and several more arriving in the Fall.

Some of his friends who live off-campus depend heavily on the bus app just as you mentioned, and from what I've heard, the buses are nice and frosty inside.

This time of year while waiting for a WDW bus (which can also be quite frosty inside) you could end up drenched in perspiration or rainfall before finally boarding a frosty bus. A mobile app like this might be an incredible advantage for "bus-challenged" guests, especially in this age of fast passes & magic bands.

I hope someone posts a pic so that I don't feel crazy. There was definitely a screen close to the vending machines that you could see from the road. It appeared to me that if you were sitting on a bench (as I did many times), you wouldn't notice it. I definitely used one at beach club also.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update. We have been here for two days. There is a video screen by the vending machines at the outpost bus stop and it has not worked. Drivers say they don't know why it is not working.

Thanks for the update!  So.... the Fort finally got a new thing and it doesn't work. 

Boffo_logo.png