Hello all,

My family and I are playing with the idea of going to WDW in October.  We have ressies for December that we know we're going to keep but the temptations of Food and Wine are calling us.  In looking around at trying to make reservations, I could find only one set of dates that worked!  One!  Everything else is booked!  Can anyone speak to why the Fort is so jam packed???  Thanks everyone.

In addition to Halloween, Columbus Day weekend, which falls in the middle of a month, is also a time that the Fort fills up.

It also seems that every Florida school system calendar has a three day weekend in October- and they seem to be scattered throughout the month. 

On top of all of that, the reservation system was recently tweaked to block-out shorter trips.  Disney wants to hold dates open for longer reservations, so it's often impossible to just book a weekend during busy times.

TCD

School systems in North Alabama have a week long break in October (10/5-10/9).

Yes, that seems to be a trend with some schools.  Not in Florida that I know of.

But, I did look at the calendars for the school districts around me in the Tampa Bay area (Pinellas, Hillsborough and Pasco), and they all have three day weekends with either Monday the 19th or 26th off.  Osceola County (right next to WDW) has a four day weekend in October (23rd-26th).  That's a lot of families who will be wanting to camp in the first month where we might have a break from summer weather.

TCD

Yes, that seems to be a trend with some schools.  Not in Florida that I know of.

But, I did look at the calendars for the school districts around me in the Tampa Bay area (Pinellas, Hillsborough and Pasco), and they all have three day weekends with either Monday the 19th or 26th off.  Osceola County (right next to WDW) has a four day weekend in October (23rd-26th).  That's a lot of families who will be wanting to camp in the first month where we might have a break from summer weather.

TCD

Our school system is off Oct. 26th too. Other than being National Mince Meat and Nation Mule Day the only reason I can see taking it off is as a substitution for Columbus Day which not many areas celebrate anymore. 

Our school system is off Oct. 26th too. Other than being National Mince Meat and Nation Mule Day the only reason I can see taking it off is as a substitution for Columbus Day which not many areas celebrate anymore.

Around here, they typically call it a teacher work day.  It is around the time that the first grading period ends, so it may be for teachers to get grades done and entered.  They also say that they will use it as a make-up day for any earlier hurricane closings.

Columbus Day really isn't much of a holiday around here either.  I'm not sure if it still is up north or not. It used to be.

TCD

I've actually been playing on the Disney website looking at possible resort weekend trips for the F&W and I didn't have much luck.

It looks like all the Epcot resorts are booked up except for the higher end rooms, some weekends have good deals on moderates though.  My thought was if I could fly for free on points and get a discounted room at an Epcot resort it would be a fun weekend getaway, but of course all the good deals are before the F&W starts so I don't think my trip will be happening.

I should also mention that I tried booking longer stays for a couple weekends and it didn't help.  Looks like the F&W is really packing the Epcot resorts.  I sure hope whom ever came up with the F&W got a promotion because they sure figured out a way to turn a slow time of year into a busy one.

WBI

That would be a fun weekend!

Did you look at Port Orleans?  It's a really short bus ride from there to Epcot.

What about the Swan or Dolphin?

TCD

I checked all the moderates and all the deluxe resorts.

There was a great rate for French Quarter and a better one for Coronado the opening weekend but only if you booked through Travelocity (which I have no problem with).

The Swan and Dolphin had some good rates on some days but honestly I never pay much attention to them so I'd have to recheck, also I don't think they offer the Disney Magical Express? 

Honestly I doubt we'll do it but it's a good enough possibility that I'm pricing it out.  Honestly the tickets are the biggest part to work out.

WBI

Not only have I never stayed at the Swan or Dolphin, but I've never even stepped foot in either just out of principle.

But, Twin #1 stayed there with a friend of hers from school and her parents.  They're from Ocala, and go there every year for the Food and Wine Festival.  Always to the Dolphin.  They seem like normal, intelligent, people, so it must not be awful.

Too bad about no DME.  But, rental cars are dirt cheap in Orlando.

TCD

Around here, they typically call it a teacher work day.  It is around the time that the first grading period ends, so it may be for teachers to get grades done and entered.  They also say that they will use it as a make-up day for any earlier hurricane closings.

Columbus Day really isn't much of a holiday around here either.  I'm not sure if it still is up north or not. It used to be.

TCD

We used to have Columbus Day off here but when it became politically incorrect to celebrate it they shifted the day and called it an optional teacher work day. Lately the rationale has changed again. While it is still a teacher work day it is to build in make up days for those lost due to a hurricanes. 

I checked all the moderates and all the deluxe resorts.

There was a great rate for French Quarter and a better one for Coronado the opening weekend but only if you booked through Travelocity (which I have no problem with).

The Swan and Dolphin had some good rates on some days but honestly I never pay much attention to them so I'd have to recheck, also I don't think they offer the Disney Magical Express?

Honestly I doubt we'll do it but it's a good enough possibility that I'm pricing it out. Honestly the tickets are the biggest part to work out.

WBI

We got the Dolphin thru Hotwire about 6 weeks ago for around $100 on a bid. There is a resort fee and a parking fee. We lucked out and got the parking waived and the resort fee reduced.

It's listed under Bonnet Creek area.

Thanks everyone. It's particularly interesting to me that Disney's reservation system is possibly knocking out short trips. What a shame. Why does it take a long stay for Disney to be interested in you? We're playing it by ear and hanging onto our ressies until we decide with certainty. Guess I should be making those darn golf cart ressies soon since it'll be so busy...The cost! Ugh!

My Family and I live in the suburbs of Indianapolis IN.  Our local schools have gone to something called a "balanced calender".  Basically it means we have a bit shorter summer but we get two weeks off in October, and two weeks off for spring break.  I believe many schools in the midwest are adopting something similar.  This may help explain some of your frustrations with how busy things are getting in October.

My Family and I live in the suburbs of Indianapolis IN.  Our local schools have gone to something called a "balanced calender".  Basically it means we have a bit shorter summer but we get two weeks off in October, and two weeks off for spring break.  I believe many schools in the midwest are adopting something similar.  This may help explain some of your frustrations with how busy things are getting in October.

I've read about other districts doing that also. In theory it sounds great,keeps the kids on track for retaining what they have learned, small breaks to divide up the school year, but did they ever ask parents for input about it.

Wouldn't have been a big deal in the 50's and 60's with stay at home moms, but it's a disaster in the making for single parents or 2 working parents trying to find someone to watch the kids on such a weird schedule.

Guess it's a plus for day care centers

I've read about other districts doing that also. In theory it sounds great,keeps the kids on track for retaining what they have learned, small breaks to divide up the school year, but did they ever ask parents for input about it.

Wouldn't have been a big deal in the 50's and 60's with stay at home moms, but it's a disaster in the making for single parents or 2 working parents trying to find someone to watch the kids on such a weird schedule.

Guess it's a plus for day care centers

I'm sure the problem is the same with time off in the summers. Who watches the kids then? 

Around here they use a modified year round schedule for single track year round schools. It follows a 9 week in and 3 weeks out schedule with everyone getting about 2 weeks at Christmas and a break during the summer months. Both of our girls were in multitrack year round schools from when they started up until they reached high school. There were two years in the middle where we lived in an area without year round options and they hated it. As we were always in multitrack schools we picked the unpopular track that gave us time off in  May, September and January. This let use take vacation trips when everyone else was in school and when the temps were generally nice. As far as childcare most working couples rely upon daycare centers as it is and we found that they along with the YMCA adapted to provide care when the year round kids are off.

• 1 month later...

There's another reason why Fort bookings can be hard to get during what would be considered a not busy time.

They shut down whole loops during the slow times for maintenance:  http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/16409-800-loop-closing-for-maintenance/

It seems like a better business practice would be to do maintenance year-round.  But, the Fort management doesn't concern itself with better business practices.

TCD

There's another reason why Fort bookings can be hard to get during what would be considered a not busy time.

They shut down whole loops during the slow times for maintenance:  http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/16409-800-loop-closing-for-maintenance/

It seems like a better business practice would be to do maintenance year-round.  But, the Fort management doesn't concern itself with better business practices.

TCD

If they are doing heavy duty maintenance, ripping up roads, breaking up pads, etc., then I could see shutting down an entire loop.

If they are just refurbing the sites, adding sand, trimming trees, they should just close a site and the ones on either side of it so people aren't disturbed, then roll down to the next one and on and on.

Might take a little planning on their end, but it would be doable.

Might take a little planning on their end, but it would be doable.

Planning?

Phooey!

It's easier to just let stuff go all year, and then shut a whole loop down to do the deferred maintenance.  Who cares if that leaves hundreds of guests willing to pay for sites locked out?  They already make plenty of money.  And, if there are any budget problems, they can just jack up the rates a bit higher next year.  They can't lose.

TCD