An interesting article that speculates on what might be next for Epcot, from the point of view of what the history of the park is, and how its history and original intention may (or may not) influence its future...

http://www.themeparktourist.com/features/20141010/29402/four-big-changes-spaceship-earth-went-through-1982-today

The article includes the history of the evolution of Spaceship Earth over the years, complete with video.

Interesting read for sure. I always looked at Epcot as a science hub. It was the park you went to for History, culture and the newest technology ideas. Your imagination was encouraged as you learned about and worked with new technology. It inspired you to dream of things people would say were impossible. If what this author is predicting, a more whimsical approach is true, then I see it as a regression. Society seems to be dumbing down. More play and who cares about the past. We are easily bored. We want action right now. We are like 2 year olds demanding our needs be met instantly. Do the imagineers realize this and so are transforming Epcot into more happy clappy and less things to ponder and chew on? I hope not but I suppose time will tell.

Good points, Kristie!

I think it would be sad if Epcot becomes more "happy clappy" and less interesting and thought provoking, but also agree with the point we've brought up before, that it's difficult to keep up with ever (and quickly!) changing technology these days.

Hopefully they can find a balance and a way to keep the park relevant, while not straying too far from the park's original intent.

When the kids were younger, we used to spend a lot of time in Future World, but now we spend most of our time wandering World Showcase. It's turned into a strolling, drinking, snacking park for us. But then a lot of the parks have turned into strolling, wandering areas for us.

The last time we had AP's about 5-6 years ago we went to Future World with our then 4/5 year old granddaughter. She liked the piggy bank game and making the paper. At that time there wasn't a lot to do in there. Since we got new passes we haven't visited that area at all.

We noticed it slowly going downhill even back then.

They should do more attractions like test track. It's a thrill ride yet it shows how the future of transportation is moving. I also think a parade would do wonders for the park. What it comes down to is people want thrill rides when they spend $100 on a day ticket. MK should stay the way it is. The place will over and over even make a 80 yo feel like a kid again but the other parks need to keep up

Interesting read for sure. I always looked at Epcot as a science hub. It was the park you went to for History, culture and the newest technology ideas. Your imagination was encouraged as you learned about and worked with new technology. It inspired you to dream of things people would say were impossible. If what this author is predicting, a more whimsical approach is true, then I see it as a regression. Society seems to be dumbing down. More play and who cares about the past. We are easily bored. We want action right now. We are like 2 year olds demanding our needs be met instantly. Do the imagineers realize this and so are transforming Epcot into more happy clappy and less things to ponder and chew on? I hope not but I suppose time will tell.

Up Arrow for Epcots new theme:  "happy clappy"    :lol:

Remember when it used to be:  "If We Can Dream It We Can Do It!"       :usa: