What's interesting is that Disney Parks Blog posted something about the place today with no mention of the change. https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/04/disneyfamilia-enjoy-deliciosa-south-american-cuisine-at-jungle-navigation-co-ltd-skipper-canteen/

I really think if they would have offered regular ADRs, things would have gone fine. I know I'd have one booked for my June trip. We're eating at Liberty Tree Tavern instead, mainly because it's just been awhile since I've been there. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How about pics and a blog post? https://letsplanwdw.com/2016/07/19/dining-review-jungle-navigation-co-ltd-skipper-canteen/

Well, it looks like the TCD gang gets to claim bragging rights as the first Fiends to dine in the new Skipper Canteen restaurant.   We went on Saturday, December 19th, just a bit after 4 pm.  We walke

We had dinner there last night (Monday) and the server we had indicated that as far as they all were aware there were no plans to take ADR's.  Apparently a number of the guests have indicate they real

I think it's been mentioned in the WWW TR, we ate there.  All the Womenz enjoyed their food, all except Marty and Sarah's friend from home,  who isn't too adventurous as an eater.

My godson told me yesterday he and the new wife ate there Tuesday and liked it  a lot.  I'm hoping more people than not like the food, and the menu isn't dumbed down for the masses.  Being able to get a walk-up reservation is also a plus for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm... looks like big menu changes may not be happening afterall. From WDW News Today...

Skipper Canteen recently moved to the 180-day reservations to improve attendance at the restaurant in an attempt to stave off the “dumbing down” of the menu that has been rumored as of late.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/06/plaza-restaurant-at-magic-kingdom-moving-away-from-adrs-walk-up-availability-only/

Jungle Cruise Skipper Canteen Kid’s Menu Changes Ahead of Rumored Main Menu Revamp

Rumors have been swirling for weeks that a major menu change is coming to the Jungle Navigation Co. Skipper Canteen Restaurant at the Magic Kingdom. On top of that, Disney suddenly began accepting advance dining reservation up to 180 days out for the restaurant just last week in an effort to draw in more guests. Well, over the last few days, the kid’s menu at the restaurant underwent a few changes…

IMG_7950

Now gone from the menu:

• Safari Soup – egg drop soup
  • Amazon Annie’s House-made Arepas – slow cooked beef, black beans, and queso fresco served with Yuca planks. Comes with choice of dessert (see below) and choice of small lowfat milk, small bottled water or small apple juice

New items replacing these dishes are the Safari Snack and Chef Tandaji’s Crispy Chicken.

Also, the mac and cheese received a name change and less complex description (probably in an attempt to appeal to more kids). Here is the original description:

• Junior Skip’s Special Mac and Cheese – a typical Egyptian dish consisting of ground beef, pasta, bechamel sauce and house-made JBen cheese gratinee served with broccoli. Comes with choice of dessert (see below) and choice of small lowfat milk, small bottled water or small apple juice

The bigger changes to the main menu are still expected, but appear to have been delayed, at the very least, for now.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/06/jungle-cruise-skipper-canteen-kids-menu-changes-ahead-of-rumored-main-menu-revamp/

• 1 month later...

Didn't see this posted anywhere, but the menu has been revamped as of the past week.

http://www.chipandco.com/skipper-canteen-magic-kingdom-new-menu-244768/#prettyPhoto

For appetizers, the Sustainable Fish Collar is no longer on the menu.  They have added a new item called the Shiriki Noodle Salad. This salad offering contains rice noodles, edamame beans, mushrooms, green mango, and cucumber tossed with a sweet chili sauce. The rest of the appetizer menu choices remain the same with some minor changes such as the Baladi Salad now being served with a coriander-mint vinaigrette dressing.

For entrees, Skip’s Mac and Cheese has been replaced with Skip’s Beefy Baked Pasta which consists of spiced braised beef, pasta and bechamel sauce served with seasonal vegetables.  The “Tastes Like Chicken” Because It Is! is now a crispy fried chicken, whereas before it was a marinated grilled option, served with citrus and ginger-scented rice, chili glaze, and seasonal vegetables.  The Curried Vegetable Crew Stew remains on the menu but has undergone some adjustments.  The roasted acorn squash, lentils, and collard greens have been replaced with coconut rice, naan bread, and seasonal vegetables.  This was my personal favorite dish.  I am disappointed that this menu item has changed so drastically by removing the good protein and uncommon vegetables only to add a lot of starch to the dish with some seasonal vegetables added for good measure.  The seasonal vegetables appear to be a common staple to this menu.  New to the menu is the Whole Fried Fish served with jasmine rice, grilled scallions, and soy-ginger vinaigrette.  This dish, as pictured on the new menu, has me thinking that I am not adventurous enough for this particular dish!