Thinking about a small truck, asking for advise

I currently own a 2007 Nissan Xterra, is got the v6 and 4wd

it can tow 5000 lbs, and I have done minimal work to it over the years.  I put Airbags( Firestone ride rite) on the rear, did the belts/ plugs, new battery last year at 100,000 miles, and 2-3 years ago I did new tires at 85,000 miles

currently I work from home, and I drive the x maybe 30 miles a week I just cheeked and i have driven 7300 miles in 2 years since i moved and work from home

It has been paid off for almost 4 years now :)

up until this year I did not need to tow anything, but i got the camper 2 months ago and the X tows it just fine

With my current vehicle getting a little long in the tooth, IE its starting to have paint issues, and the drivers seat needs repairs due to worn out cloth on the edge of the seat, just replaced the window regulator on the driver door. I am starting to consider a new vehicle.  I know my X is worth 6-8,000 depending on how i sell it, and have offers to buy it from carmax in that price range so i know its accurate

I don't have plans to get a new camper in the next 5 years, I do plan on bringing bikes and kayaks and such as my sons get older( 2 and 4 currently) and well the Xterra is nearing its limits when I add that extra weight.

I have been considering the new GMC Canyon, and saw recently they will be putting a 4 cylinder diesel in it, 181 HP and 369 tq . or the V6 at 305 hp and 270 tq, both are to a 6 speed auto.

It has similar interior space to my current vehicle so no complaints there, it has a bed where i can put bikes/ kayaks ect, and the tow rating is 7600 lbs for the 4x4 and 7700 for the 4x2 where as the v6 is at 7,000 lbs

if you havent seen it click here http://www.gmc.com/canyon-small-pickup-truck.html

its a baby sierra in my opinion.

I have never owned diesel, however my dad worked on them for years and years.

knowing that i don't drive far, and that when i do go more than 30 miles it will be with the trailer in tow, should i go for the diesel or stick with the gas?

The price difference is $3500( sticker), however i know the dealer and could probably get a discount that would make it more in the rage of a 1500 difference between the 2.

The Diesel is not a new engine, its just new to the US it is a duramax that has been used overseas for a few years now with great reviews. no EPA milage numbers on the diesel, rurmors of over 30 hwy and 24 city are circulating, the gas is already rated at 17 city and 24 hwy, way better than my x at 15 city 19 hwy

there are no official numbers yet, but the configuration I am looking at would be as follows

crew cab, 4 door, diesel 6 speed auto, 4x2 towing package, exhaust brake, trailing package, back up camera, navigation all for the tune of $35,000

a similar priced full size truck new with said options would be almost 50K but if i stick with gas its closer to the low $40's

thoughts? keep in mind the gas i assume would be $1500 cheaper and then a trade of $6000 

so Id be looking at under $29,000 out of pocket

From what I'm reading on the GMC site you will need to get the 3.6L V6 with the max trailering package to get the 7000 lb towing capacity. The only estimates I could find for the Duramax were lower and they were trade rags. How much it will really be I don't know as they overestimated the 7000 lbs for the V6 by a 1000 lbs. If the ratio's in the estimates stay the same that would say the Durmax will have a max capacity of around 5700 lbs. My suggestion is to wait and get the real numbers from GMC then make you decision. 

By the way that 2007 Nissan is a spring chicken. We're towing with a 2001 Explorer.  :)

Any particular reasons for going with a mid sized over full sized.

I see you quoted some prices for a full sized being quite a bit more, was that a quote from a dealer?

Most of the dealers down here run incentives and sales so the prices usually are lower than the original quoted price.

Are you tied down to new?

I just bought a used 2006 Ram 4 door and it has some bells and whistles, but probably not everything you listed.  I didn't check the towing capacity that much since I only have a Coleman PUP that weighs about 900 pounds.

Like you, mine sits in the driveway all week, and some weekends since I have a 95 Corolla that I use as a commuter.

The Ram with an 8 cylinder is getting about 23 mpg on the highway at a steady 58-60 mph which is better than the 02 6 cylinder that I got rid of.

Maybe you could get a gently used full size  (2011-2013) with the options you want at a much lower price?

Just a thought.

I am comfortable with my midsize suv,so I like the feel of the midsize truck, I have not driven it yet as it's not out with the diesel. I don't really need a full size. Parking is easier, slightly better gas mileage is the other plus.

I prefer new because I don't like to inherit other people's problems.

I know stingray Chevy has decent deals, I just like the gmc look better for the midsize.

I do not need a truck for anything other than camping, we have 2014 odyssey for virtually every other trip (got it last April and it has 8700 miles on it) so we don't drive much like we did in New England (15-18k per year per vehicle)

Like I said mine is getting worn out, and while I haven't had a payment in 4 years I feel within the next year I may have a repair that equals the value of the truck( paint job) and rather than deal with that, I'am ready for a new vehicle.

7700 lbs is pretty good.

Like you I don't put much mileage on my vehicles. My 15 yo truck has 108K and my Explorer has 140K (most of these were driving back and forth when the kids were in college). Even my wife's 2 year old CX-5 is under 7K/yr. Personally I would go for the gas as I couldn't justify the diesel's higher cost. If I drove enough to see some payback in the gas mileage I might consider it but that would take a major change in my driving habits.

I was looking at the mid sized trucks, mainly for their better gas mileage and maneuverability.

But for the amount you drive, and the greatly improved gas mileages that the full sized trucks are getting, I think I would vote for full sized.

The ride will be more comfortable, the interior larger, the bed having more storage room, and the ability to haul a larger camper if you upgrade.

All new vehicles are expensive (overpriced), but you are more apt to find a deal on an established full sized truck line/model than the newer Canyon and Colorado.

Look for end of the month deals, model year left-overs, etc.  Maybe even a gently used one with a transferrable warranty.

This is just my 2 cents worth.

PS, I had an 02 Ram 2 door that I purchased new, just sold it in May and got an 06 Ram 4 door with 60K miles. 

The 02 had 160K miles on it and it was still running good and looking good (except for the disintegrating dash) but I had always wanted a 4 door and just couldn't afford it when I purchased my 02.

The 02 was a big truck and the 4 door is even bigger, but I got used to driving both of them, and the 06's mileage is a lot better than the 02 which had a 6 cylinder in it.

thanks for the feedback so far, I am taking into consideration everyone's points/ tips

I can say I have driven my dads Honda Ridgeline, and I just really like the size of the smaller truck vs the full size, that not to say that wont change as i go for more test drives

I don't know what the bed size is in a mid size truck, but when we go to the Fort, we look like the Beverly Hillbillies with so much loaded in our truck bed.  I have a typical truck bed silver tool box that I remove so we have more room.

Now we have a PUP, so a lot of our "essentials" get tossed in the truck, not as much storage in a PUP as a TT.

You will be surprised how much room a bike or 2 uses up.  I saved some room by removing the pedals.

So if you are like us and take a ton of stuff, the mid sized bed may be too small.

And truck beds are like closets, the bigger they are, the more you will find to cram into them!

I don't think you drive enough to make up the difference buying a diesel. Stop and figure out how any miles you would need to cover the extra  original cost

I actually did a quick calculation yesterday before my update. Assuming 10K/yr and the V6 having 24 mi per gallon and the diesel is 30 the difference in gallons per year is 84. Without even trying to account for the cost difference in fuel your talking a long time to break even. To me a low mileage driver buying the diesel would need to make decisions similar to buying a Prius. It is not the lower fuel costs as main a reason to buy but more a holistic reason of less fuel and it's better for the environment. 

Travis, 

That's why I got the 2516G, its got the storage trunk on the PUP

In said compartment, I store the following

4 folding chairs

1 folding table

1 gas grill

2 power cords( rv type 2 x25 ft)

2 extension cords ( normal 2 x25 ft)

2 hoses (25 ft water, 25 ft drain)

8x10 patio mat/ rug

50 ft of coax( 2 x25)

1 magnet mount HD TV antenna

that's roughly 115 lbs of gear 

using that allows the other storage areas in the camper virtually empty for now

I have storage under the bench's on the dinette eash are 2.5 feet tall, 2.5 feet wide and 4 feet deep, with inside and outside access

1 of the 2 has a LCD tv( 20 inch) in it and the shower curtain, we put 4 bath towels and 4 pool towels in there and still have room for extra linens for the beds.

the other has nothing in it. I plan in putting pots and pans in there once i get them

there is storage under the couch, i have the outdoor table that mounts to the camper there and a vacuum

bed linens are  on the beds( put on the day before we leave) and the pillows are stored under the dinette when the table is closed up

I put a 45qt cooler in the door way to the unit.

we put our luggage on the floor between the bath and the storage cabinet, and another bag can go between the couch and kitchen area.

all that goes in my Xterra at this point is the stroller and a second cooler with drinks/snacks for the drive

9441a_floor.jpg

I actually did a quick calculation yesterday before my update. Assuming 10K/yr and the V6 having 24 mi per gallon and the diesel is 30 the difference in gallons per year is 84. Without even trying to account for the cost difference in fuel your talking a long time to break even. To me a low mileage driver buying the diesel would need to make decisions similar to buying a Prius. It is not the lower fuel costs as main a reason to buy but more a holistic reason of less fuel and it's better for the environment. 

to me If i can make it somewhere with less stops, I am a happy camper, so if the truck can get to the site and back and never need a station that's a plus!

secondly my xterra gets 19 when not towing, I didn't do the math last time i towed so I dont know how low it got towing the pup but i dont expect it to be horrible.

when you look at the scale of the "midsize truck" its actually 7/8th the size of the full size... so its 12.5% smaller

they are tying to get over 30 MPG so when you compare it to my current ride, it could to be 11 mpg better when not towing anything on the highway, and 5 mpg better in the city

in the end Ill have to wait and see, ya know test drive it

when you look at the scale of the "midsize truck" its actually 7/8th the size of the full size... so its 12.5% smaller

they are tying to get over 30 MPG so when you compare it to my current ride, it could to be 11 mpg better when not towing anything on the highway, and 5 mpg better in the city

in the end Ill have to wait and see, ya know test drive it

AKA the size of the 80s thru early 00s full sized trucks.

Just saw this on Fox News Online.  Looks like the Ford Ranger may be coming back.  They have been building it continuously in other countries and it has a very good reputation from what I hear.  I may seriously consider one once I get the TT and van sold.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/08/27/ford-planning-for-new-small-pickup-in-us/?intcmp=hpff

I ll be ready to buy in 1.5 years and the ford looks to be 3+ years out at the moment

I realize 1.5 years is a long time to plan, however I don't make decisions like this often, about every 10 years, so i want my investment to be a good one

Just saw this on Fox News Online.  Looks like the Ford Ranger may be coming back.  They have been building it continuously in other countries and it has a very good reputation from what I hear.  I may seriously consider one once I get the TT and van sold.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/08/27/ford-planning-for-new-small-pickup-in-us/?intcmp=hpff

I couldn't understand why they discontinued it here to begin with. While sales were no where near their peak they were still substantial. I heard some was to try and push folks into the F150 but I think the general feeling was they would just lose the majority of the Ranger customer base to other small/mid sized pickup manufacturers. I can say other than normal age issues I really haven't had any problems with my B3000. I would consider another but our intent is to go up to a larger trailer and if they keep similar spec's to the older model the Ranger just wouldn't have the towing capacity.  

People will give you all sorts of advice based on personal experience and good math. However, I can't remember anybody who tows anything, ever say " I wish I had a smaller truck I or less torque"

I tried to get by with a half ton, and all the math supported. But the trip wore me out. Sure, driving a 3/4 ton 15 miles to get a cup of coffee is not ideal, but my vacations are more stress free. Payback, mileage, fuel costs, blah blah blah. Vacation time is precious.

People will give you all sorts of advice based on personal experience and good math. However, I can't remember anybody who tows anything, ever say " I wish I had a smaller truck I or less torque"

I tried to get by with a half ton, and all the math supported. But the trip wore me out. Sure, driving a 3/4 ton 15 miles to get a cup of coffee is not ideal, but my vacations are more stress free. Payback, mileage, fuel costs, blah blah blah. Vacation time is precious.

I agree when it comes to towing you need more then just enough.

Its that balance of power and efficiency I am looking for with more storage in the TV for bikes/ gear

I have been on 1 trip with the pup, so that's why i posted the question as everyone has more experience than I do.

I live in south Florida, where our largest hill is a landfill and you cant drive up it, its mainly flat unless you cross a bridge.

I am about 3 hours from the fort, and I anticipate 3-4 trips a year ( 3 booked so far between 12/15 and 10/16) to the fort, and maybe 3-4 trips to other locations each year. 

My wife has expressed interest in going to the Smokey mountains and Savannah GA on camping trips so that's why I want a truck, for the longer trips to haul more gear

I really do appreciate the feedback, to me bigger is better, and from my xterra to a newer midsize and some full size is an improvement most of the areas that concern me

in size( wheelbase and storage), Power more (HP and torque), Fuel economy, and tow ratings, reliability