Thinking about a small truck, asking for advise

People will give you all sorts of advice based on personal experience and good math. However, I can't remember anybody who tows anything, ever say " I wish I had a smaller truck I or less torque"

I tried to get by with a half ton, and all the math supported. But the trip wore me out. Sure, driving a 3/4 ton 15 miles to get a cup of coffee is not ideal, but my vacations are more stress free. Payback, mileage, fuel costs, blah blah blah. Vacation time is precious.

Its that balance of power and efficiency I am looking for with more storage in the TV for bikes/ gear

I have been on 1 trip with the pup, so that's why i posted the question as everyone has more experience than I do.

I live in south Florida, where our largest hill is a landfill and you cant drive up it, its mainly flat unless you cross a bridge.

I am about 3 hours from the fort, and I anticipate 3-4 trips a year ( 3 booked so far between 12/15 and 10/16) to the fort, and maybe 3-4 trips to other locations each year.

My wife has expressed interest in going to the Smokey mountains and Savannah GA on camping trips so that's why I want a truck, for the longer trips to haul more gear

I really do appreciate the feedback, to me bigger is better, and from my xterra to a newer midsize and some full size is an improvement most of the areas that concern me

in size( wheelbase and storage), Power more (HP and torque), Fuel economy, and tow ratings, reliability

Is there any thoughts of moving up to a TT within the next 5 to 7 years? If so, don't make the same mistake I did. The math did say my half ton could pull it but I was at every limit on the truck. Had the truck 2 years and traded for a 3/4 ton. Didn't have changed of a choice. At the limit I was wearing the old truck apart.

If you are going to look at any mountain type trips, you are gonna want something bigger with a diesel assuming you are going to upgrade. If you keep the PUP, a 1/2 ton or something like a Tahoe or Durango will suit you of it has the right equipment.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure you plan for the future. A lot of us started with a PUP or small TT only to wind up moving up and also forcing us to move up in truck size. That really sucks when you haven't owned the tow vehicle long enough to justify it's purchase.

no plans to move up, because there is no place to park it with out paying

the city i live in has regulations like an HOA, not a bad thing as long as you know about it.

I can park a PuP closed up in my garage and still fit the van on the other side ( win!) , I also have the option to park it on the side of the house, but again only pop ups can be parked no RV over 60 inches tall may be stored at the home unless its in a garage. 

Boats are allowed but must be parked in the back yard and not visible from the street.

I purchased a new PuP knowing that I was going to keep it for minimum 5 years, I think if we do upgrade it would be to a MH class C or Class A as at that point i could no longer park it at the house, and would have to pay to park it at a lot nearby

I like the diesel regardless of the mountain trips I agree with you there, and with  smaller trucks now having that option I am leaning heavily in that direction.

• 1 month later...

I was going to say way back when this started, a buddy of mine was looking at a new Colorado and the dealer couldn't give him any break on the pricing and he was friends with him, so he ended up just getting a fullsize black out edition. I think you'll be happier with a full size truck in the long run.

Best Regards,

Norm

I was going to say way back when this started, a buddy of mine was looking at a new Colorado and the dealer couldn't give him any break on the pricing and he was friends with him, so he ended up just getting a fullsize black out edition. I think you'll be happier with a full size truck in the long run.

Best Regards,

Norm

Thats exactly what I am finding, they are not moving off of MSRP at all, they are stuck at $34,000 and not moving

where as I have a local Ford dealer, who has a 2015 F150 crew cab short bed, 2.7L Twin Turbo V6, with towing package, back up camera, pro trailer assist, whose MSRP is $39,000 but their sale price is $31,000

http://sgallowayford.com/Fort-Myers/For-Sale/New/Ford/F-150/2015-XLT-Brown-Truck/43158234/

Thats exactly what I am finding, they are not moving off of MSRP at all, they are stuck at $34,000 and not moving

where as I have a local Ford dealer, who has a 2015 F150 crew cab short bed, 2.7L Twin Turbo V6, with towing package, back up camera, pro trailer assist, whose MSRP is $39,000 but their sale price is $31,000

http://sgallowayford.com/Fort-Myers/For-Sale/New/Ford/F-150/2015-XLT-Brown-Truck/43158234/

When we were looking for our diesel F250 a few months back, we found lots of dealerships trying to move their F150 gassers.  

Sounds like the way to go. My friends duramax diesel broke down on his way to go camping. He called his friend who was already at the campground to come tow him in. He had a 2014 eco boost. He was very impressed with the power and mpg while towing.

The reason the ranger was discontinued in the US was because the base model f150 was only $1000 more than the outdated ranger. If you are looking for a midsize pick up. There should be no other word than Tacoma. The newly resist we is the best Tacoma yet. The 4x4 even has a feature called craw control to get out of a stuck

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=19BNRvuNLWE

Not impressed with that Taco, more important is price and performance.

Toyota lost me when they didn't update the motor, and pisses me off with the fake hood scoops... Make them functional or take them off!

The other issues is the brakes, they still use rear drums. I did price one out and while the msrp is $5k less than the f150 iAm looking at, (msrp vs msrp) they too will not come down on price as its a redesign year and popular. I can still get a better equipped f150 for less

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not impressed with that Taco, more important is price and performance.

Toyota lost me when they didn't update the motor, and pisses me off with the fake hood scoops... Make them functional or take them off!

The other issues is the brakes, they still use rear drums. I did price one out and while the msrp is $5k less than the f150 iAm looking at, (msrp vs msrp) they too will not come down on price as its a redesign year and popular. I can still get a better equipped f150 for less

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I guess either your a toyo person or not. Had a 07 tundra for 6 years and then needed a diesel to pull our 34ft trailer so I went to a Silverado 2500. The truck was good for what we needed but since we downsized the camper, we downsized the truck and went back to a fully loaded 1794 edition tundra and couldn't be happier

Same reason you will never see me driving a ford or dodge. Just preference ( even if it has plastic hood scoops). Also look at resale value. Toyota will always be worth more than any us brand. I know from experience

Same reason you will never see me driving a ford or dodge. Just preference ( even if it has plastic hood scoops). Also look at resale value. Toyota will always be worth more than any us brand. I know from experience

How in the world could you give up a diesel and be happy with gas, and even a Toyota. Are GM diesels that bad?

How in the world could you give up a diesel and be happy with gas, and even a Toyota. Are GM diesels that bad?

I knew you were going to raz me about this ...lol. I just did not need that much of a power house of a truck anymore. Plus I had the stupid extended cab vs the crew and as the kids get bigger the back seat got smaller. I looked at a new Sierra diesel and couldn't justify the $73k for model I wanted. Plus I have always been A Toyota guy and missed my old tundra

I knew you were going to raz me about this ...lol. I just did not need that much of a power house of a truck anymore. Plus I had the stupid extended cab vs the crew and as the kids get bigger the back seat got smaller. I looked at a new Sierra diesel and couldn't justify the $73k for model I wanted. Plus I have always been A Toyota guy and missed my old tundra

I don't blame you. If the tongue weight on my trailer wasn't so much I would get a 2017 Raptor. But my next truck will be a Mega Cab ram 3500. I was really sad to see the 2017 super duty did not a have a version of the mega cab. My kid really wants a reclining seat for the long trips and I don't blame her.

I don't blame you. If the tongue weight on my trailer wasn't so much I would get a 2017 Raptor. But my next truck will be a Mega Cab ram 3500. I was really sad to see the 2017 super duty did not a have a version of the mega cab. My kid really wants a reclining seat for the long trips and I don't blame her.

Even though I'm not a Ford guy, I would have looked at the Raptor if it were cheaper, but again, what good is a baja 1000 out of the box truck when you drive on the road 98% of the time

Oh and there is no GM product worth $75,000.00

I agree except for maybe the new vette

I have an opinion on this. However, like any good Chicago election, the the only good votes are the ones that are paid for.

Who sells the most trucks? That will tell you what people "with skin in game" like best. Everything else is just an attempt at rationalization. Does that me the 2nd, 3rd or 4th truck is bad, nope. Just that it doesn't measure up value wise, for the dominant population group.

I have an opinion on this. However, like any good Chicago election, the the only good votes are the ones that are paid for.

Who sells the most trucks? That will tell you what people "with skin in game" like best. Everything else is just an attempt at rationalization. Does that me the 2nd, 3rd or 4th truck is bad, nope. Just that it doesn't measure up value wise, for the dominant population group.

Spoken like a true ford owner.