Courtesy Wheelchairs No Longer Available at Disney Hotels

To further align resort and park processes, as well as match industry standards, courtesy Guest wheelchairs will no longer be available at Walt Disney World Resort hotels starting from next month (at the moment, the rumored date for the implementation of this change is Tuesday, September 8, 2015).

That said, Guests staying at any of the Disney hotels can still rent wheelchair equipment from featured vendors, which will be available for a nominal fee.

http://www.orlandoparksnews.com/2015/08/courtesy-wheelchairs-no-longer.html

It's sad to see them go.

But, I can't think of a trip when I haven't seen resort wheelchairs abandoned in one of the park parking lots.

It's another thing that a small percentage of guests abused, and Disney decided it wasn't worth it.

Too bad.

TCD

X-2 The abuse of a few ruins it for the masses. When we were there in the winter there were two sitting along the road in the cabin loops. One from the MK and one from EPCOT. 

It sounds like you were not required to put down a credit card deposit before checking one out?  It's very sad that people are so incredibly thoughtless that this would be required but (for the good people) maybe if Disney kept the wheelchairs but required a $250 or $500 credit card deposit so that if you did not return it, they charged you... maybe that would make the difference?

I thought most hotels (not Disney) just supplied them to get you checked in and situated.  Anything other than that you were supposed to supply your own for the long run.

Just like a store having one on hand for an emergency.

I think that's right.  They weren't supposed to go off the premises.

But, people took them on the buses, and to the parks.  And probably in their cars, and I'll bet quite a few got taken home.

I don't blame Disney for this decision.  I'm sure they get some kind of kickback from the rental companies, so it's more money in their pockets to let outside vendors provide the service.

TCD