Not a recipe... but curious if anyone has one.

Tom's wanted one for a good year or so, but I can't bring myself to spend the money... especially when I think that all we'll do is make fancy expensive drinks and we're better off just eating the food.  Then I think, "well, maybe I can some good organic greens, that we typically would not eat, and that's a way to get that into our diet."  :huh:

So, if you have one, I'd love to get your feedback. 

Have heard good things about them.  Supposedly they can spin so fast you can make hot soup in them.

I read somewhere that one of the Ninja blenders are just as powerful and a lot less expensive.

Here is 1 comparison link.

www.ninjavsvitamix.net

Do  a Google search Ninja versus Vitamix for a lot more.

Most like the Ninja but say the Vitamix is better made.

Hopefully there's a user out there that will chime in.

We use one of those handheld stick blenders.  It's a Braun, came with a lot of attachments and has held up for 25 + years, though we don't use it a lot.  They don't sell that model any longer... probably didn't break often enough to make people buy new ones!

I have one, you can drop a whole apple in it and it will liquefy the entire thing. Not even a remnant of a seed. Most powerful blender I have ever used. Unfortunately for the cost I don't think I use it enough.

See... I'm afraid that would be us, start out great but end up using it sparingly. 

If shopping for a high end blender like Vitamix, you should also look at Blendtec.  They are comparable price and quality wise, but features can be a bit different so one might appeal to you over the other.  They have very similar warranties.  A couple of years ago, we opted for a Blendtec and couldn't be happier with it.  Ours is used multiple times each and every day....it has a counter on it and in 2 years I think we've used it around 1,000 times.  That's pretty impressive, as it shows no signs of wear whatsoever.  

We are big peanut butter and almond butter eaters, and INC makes all of ours at home from nuts.  Our PB is made from peanuts....nothing else.  No added oils or anything else.  That blender makes the smoothest pb ever.  If you price processed pb in the stores, you can imagine how much money this saves, not to mention not eating all of that palm oil and crap they put in peanut butter these days.    

We also make a lot of pasta sauces in it by just throwing in tomatoes, basil, etc.  Again, no oils or anything.  Sometimes we make creamy sauces using raw cashews and it does a fantastic job.  

The kids make smoothies and really enjoy that....I'm not a smoothie drinker myself as I prefer to eat my food.  But as you can imagine it makes a very good one.  

Thanks Dave.  Tom thinks we'd use one, as much as you use yours... but I (like you) prefer to eat my food rather than blend it up.  I can see making a few things, just not sure if we'd make enough to justify the cost.

Still a "debate" in our household... :)

Thanks Dave.  Tom thinks we'd use one, as much as you use yours... but I (like you) prefer to eat my food rather than blend it up.  I can see making a few things, just not sure if we'd make enough to justify the cost.

Still a "debate" in our household... :)

Do you own a regular blender now, and if so how often do you use it?

What do you need the power of the Vitamix for?

Does the family drink "healthy raw food" drinks now, or is it something you want to start and that's why you need a super blender?

The Ninja is about 1/2 the price because it uses plastic parts, but it still has a 5 year warranty so that may be an option.

Also, Amazon has refurb Vitamix's from the factory with a warranty for a lot less $.

What model are you looking for?  They range from $300 to almost $800.

Good luck.

If shopping for a high end blender like Vitamix, you should also look at Blendtec.  They are comparable price and quality wise, but features can be a bit different so one might appeal to you over the other.  They have very similar warranties.  A couple of years ago, we opted for a Blendtec and couldn't be happier with it.  Ours is used multiple times each and every day....it has a counter on it and in 2 years I think we've used it around 1,000 times.  That's pretty impressive, as it shows no signs of wear whatsoever.  

They look like the ones you see at smoothie shops and ice cream places.  Pretty impressive looking.

They look like the ones you see at smoothie shops and ice cream places.  Pretty impressive looking.

I believe this is the model we have.  We didn't buy refurbished, but at this price I'd seriously consider it.  Still get a 7 yr warranty.

http://www.blendtec.com/blenders/total-blender-classic-series-factory-reconditioned?gclid=Cj0KEQjwvJqvBRCL77m2-uKczsIBEiQAkx8VjDYhqE_H-6RLDQAmvTZ-23BVPr-MCvtNqOBEEqdzglQaAmE78P8HAQ

I should point out....we are not typically ones to buy "high end" products.  I don't like spending money just so I can say I own a "so and so".  But sometimes you get what you pay for.  

Do you own a regular blender now, and if so how often do you use it?

What do you need the power of the Vitamix for?

Does the family drink "healthy raw food" drinks now, or is it something you want to start and that's why you need a super blender?

The Ninja is about 1/2 the price because it uses plastic parts, but it still has a 5 year warranty so that may be an option.

Also, Amazon has refurb Vitamix's from the factory with a warranty for a lot less $.

What model are you looking for?  They range from $300 to almost $800.

Good luck.

Nope... don't use a blender at all.  Each time Costco demo's one, Tom is attracted to the idea of being able to throw in things that we might not normally eat (or eat enough of)... such as spinach.  He also likes the idea that (it looks like) you might actually use more of the raw fruit and/or veggie in comparison to what you might typically cut off to eat (for example, most of us do not eat the white/pith of the orange, yet it's really good for you).   Also... he likes the idea of making soup, plus smoothies might be easier for him to eat in the morning as he could take it on the road (he has an hour commute).

I believe this is the model we have.  We didn't buy refurbished, but at this price I'd seriously consider it.  Still get a 7 yr warranty.

http://www.blendtec.com/blenders/total-blender-classic-series-factory-reconditioned?gclid=Cj0KEQjwvJqvBRCL77m2-uKczsIBEiQAkx8VjDYhqE_H-6RLDQAmvTZ-23BVPr-MCvtNqOBEEqdzglQaAmE78P8HAQ

I should point out....we are not typically ones to buy "high end" products.  I don't like spending money just so I can say I own a "so and so".  But sometimes you get what you pay for.  

Thanks for the feedback on the Blendtec (and the link)... I'm not sure that we've seen that brand before. 

I have a vita-mix, I did get a refurbished one, we absolutely love it!

My wife wanted it 4 years ago shortly after our first son was born, its made tons of baby food for both our boys.( 2 and 4 now)

I have used it to make my own peanut butter, pizza dough, soups and of course smoothies and alcoholic beverages. and now i am experimenting with spices/ sauces for BBQ

The key thing about any blender that you get is dont put it away, if you keep it on the counter you use it, if you have to dig it out and all the parts you wont.

that being said if you get a vitamix you will be happy!  Blend-tec is cool, but I have seen keypads fail, so rotary knobs work for me!

• 1 month later...

nacole, did you ever take the plunge and get a blender?

I found a used Blendtec on Craigslist for $75, but I waited too long deciding if I wanted to drive an hour to go look at it.

When I did decide, it was gone.

I wanted it for making healthy smoothies, especially now that my Dr. wants me to eat Kale.

I just don't want to spend $300 + for one.

Doing research, I found that the Blendtec ones will fit on the counter underneath the overhead cabinets, making it easier to leave out and use on a daily basis.

nacole, did you ever take the plunge and get a blender?

I found a used Blendtec on Craigslist for $75, but I waited too long deciding if I wanted to drive an hour to go look at it.

When I did decide, it was gone.

I wanted it for making healthy smoothies, especially now that my Dr. wants me to eat Kale.

I just don't want to spend $300 + for one.

Doing research, I found that the Blendtec ones will fit on the counter underneath the overhead cabinets, making it easier to leave out and use on a daily basis.

We haven't.  I too want one that can fit under cabinet... good to hear that there is  Blendtec that you could do that as that might be a better option for us.   Still trying to decide what to on our end...

• 1 month later...

Bit the bullet and bought a Blendtec Total Blender.

Had been checking Craigslist, none were close by and they were still expensive.

Looked at Amazon Sunday night and say a few refurbs with full warranties, so was thinking of going with one of those since I had some Amazon gift cards to put towards the cost and not make it so painful.

Monday I logged into Amazon, and they were in the middle of a Blendtec lightning deal.  Talk about luck, there was 14 minutes left.

I got a new Total Blender for $274 instead of $399, then used my gift cards to get the price down to a reasonable level.

It arrived yesterday about 8:30 PM so I had to give it a try.

First off low carb ice cream for my wife.  It was a failure, came out more like a thin milk shake.  But re-reading the recipe guide later that night I saw my error.  I took a low card recipe from a web site and tried to make it work with the blender.  I used 3 ice cubes, and I was supposed to use 3 CUPS of cubes.  Will give it a try again tonight with the proper amount.

Made a Kale smoothie this morning.  Previously they always had pieces of kale floating in the mix, and if I added fruit, small bits of that too.  The Blendtec basically dissolved everything into one creamy smooth drink.  There were no bits or pieces to be found, and I used frozen mango chunks.

I would not classify the Blendtec as a blender, decimator or pulverizer would be a better description.

You know how on a TV comedy someone forgets to put the blender lid on and the juice flies all over?

If you have frozen fruit in this baby and left the lid off, it would send it on supersonic speeds thru your ceiling.

John McClaine could've wiped out all the bad guys in the Nakatomi Tower using this blender loaded with frozen grapes!

Only drawback I see so far is it's noisy enough to wake the dead...  don't use it for a breakfast drink if you have light sleepers in the house.

Bit the bullet and bought a Blendtec Total Blender.

Had been checking Craigslist, none were close by and they were still expensive.

Looked at Amazon Sunday night and say a few refurbs with full warranties, so was thinking of going with one of those since I had some Amazon gift cards to put towards the cost and not make it so painful.

Monday I logged into Amazon, and they were in the middle of a Blendtec lightning deal.  Talk about luck, there was 14 minutes left.

I got a new Total Blender for $274 instead of $399, then used my gift cards to get the price down to a reasonable level.

It arrived yesterday about 8:30 PM so I had to give it a try.

First off low carb ice cream for my wife.  It was a failure, came out more like a thin milk shake.  But re-reading the recipe guide later that night I saw my error.  I took a low card recipe from a web site and tried to make it work with the blender.  I used 3 ice cubes, and I was supposed to use 3 CUPS of cubes.  Will give it a try again tonight with the proper amount.

Made a Kale smoothie this morning.  Previously they always had pieces of kale floating in the mix, and if I added fruit, small bits of that too.  The Blendtec basically dissolved everything into one creamy smooth drink.  There were no bits or pieces to be found, and I used frozen mango chunks.

I would not classify the Blendtec as a blender, decimator or pulverizer would be a better description.

You know how on a TV comedy someone forgets to put the blender lid on and the juice flies all over?

If you have frozen fruit in this baby and left the lid off, it would send it on supersonic speeds thru your ceiling.

John McClaine could've wiped out all the bad guys in the Nakatomi Tower using this blender loaded with frozen grapes!

Only drawback I see so far is it's noisy enough to wake the dead...  don't use it for a breakfast drink if you have light sleepers in the house.

Thanks for the update!  Funny timing as we just adjusted our Christmas stay (this morning) at the Fort, to save money so I could get him a blender for Christmas :)   I think we're leaning towards the Vitamix...but he'll be doing some hardcore shopping/comparing these next couple of weeks :)

Thanks for the update!  Funny timing as we just adjusted our Christmas stay (this morning) at the Fort, to save money so I could get him a blender for Christmas :)   I think we're leaning towards the Vitamix...but he'll be doing some hardcore shopping/comparing these next couple of weeks :)

The different camps for the Vitamix and Blendtec crowds are like Ford and Chevy groups.

You will never get them to cross over to the other side.

For the Blendtec, I liked the idea of not having to use a tamper to push the food down towards the blades like you do with the Vitamix.  Also, if you go to most smoothie places you will see that they are using some type of Blendtec.  The jar is squatter, so even on the base it will fit on the counter under your upper cabinets.  It has preprogrammed cycles on it also for the popular blends, ice cream, smoothie, sauces, etc.  It speeds up and slows down, then shuts off by itself when done.

Like I said, to each his/her own, for me the Blendtec was the better choice.

But look up Will it blend on you tube to see the Blendtec in action!

For the Blendtec, I liked the idea of not having to use a tamper to push the food down towards the blades like you do with the Vitamix.   

Can you help me understand this?  I am familiar with the tamper Vitamix has but... are you saying that the Blendtec doesn't need one?  That somehow it mixes everything up, with you needed to "push" it down?  Is that for everything you blend??

Can you help me understand this?  I am familiar with the tamper Vitamix has but... are you saying that the Blendtec doesn't need one?  That somehow it mixes everything up, with you needed to "push" it down?  Is that for everything you blend??

They say the design of the "jar" allows the foods to keep falling back down to the blades.

They also make a Wildside jar that has a 5th side to aid in better mixing.