as i vitamin owner, I can tell you that i have no clue where the tamper is.... thus i don't use one

All the ones I've seen have a tamper/pusher that is shorter than the depth to the blades and allows you to push the food down

Oh I know what it does, I just don't use it, ever...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry mis read it, I thought you said you didn't know what it was,

its all good, 

you use the tamper if you dont understand how to get it to vortex.

I like the variable knob on the vitamix, start slow, and make a vortex, keep increasing speed till the smooth, if it burps slow down till you get the vortex again.

if you go flat out from the get go you never see a vortex and thus need the tamper

its all good, 

you use the tamper if you dont understand how to get it to vortex.

I like the variable knob on the vitamix, start slow, and make a vortex, keep increasing speed till the smooth, if it burps slow down till you get the vortex again.

if you go flat out from the get go you never see a vortex and thus need the tamper

OK.

The Blendtec starts out slow, then ramps up speeds 2 or 3 times depending on what cycle you selected.

• 1 month later...

Update:   We went with the Vitamix.  We actually purchased both (both were on sale at Costco for the same price... the Blendtec did come with a couple extra gadgets for that price).  Our opinion is this...

- Both are VERY loud

- Both blend up frozen fruits and ice (we've only made smoothies thus far, so that was what we had to test) however, we think the Blendtec may have tackled it an ounce better.  This is actually the reason we went back and purchased the Blendtec as we were curious if it would blend better than the Vitamix (without having to use a tamper).

- The Vitamix we purchased did not have the preset buttons, the Blendtec did (I did like those buttons, but did not want to pay extra for the Vitamix to have the option).

So, why did we go with the Vitamix over the Blendec?  These two reasons...

- The Vitamix has more solid feel to the construction.  Comparing the two, both the base and container of the Vitamix felt more solid/sturdy.  Even though both have comparable warranties, we just liked the feel of the Vitamix as a machine over the Blendec.

- Main reason for us however, was the taste.  When making the same recipe in each machines, Tom and I both noticed that the Blendtec smoothie tasted more "fluffy" vs the "dense" taste of the Vitamix.  Not saying one is better than the other, just personal preference.  Had product from each machine tasted the same, the Blendtec would have edged ahead and we would have gone with that one. 

So, there you have it.  One Fiends review of both the Vitamix and the Blendtec  :)

Happy Blending!!  

• 3 months later...

So a while back I purchased a Blendtec blender and have been thrilled with it.

Went to a yard sale a couple of weekends ago and saw this Vita Mix on the table.

All stainless steel, had the wooden tamper with it.

Lady wanted $5 for it, but I passed since we had the Blendtec and really didn't need a second blender.

Went home and mentioned it to my wife.  She told me to go back and get it, we could always use it camping for making ice cream, and/or adult frozen beverages.

Went back and it was till there, so we are now the proud owners of a circa 1969 Vita Mix Blender.  We wrote to Vita Mix, and they emailed me the PDF manual.  Just reading that is hilarious itself.

158178358_vitamix-3600-blender-juicer-br

This is just a stock image, but the one I got still had the same stickers on the dome and the jar.