Another loop/site recommendations post

Hey all,

We are new to FW and will be traveling with two larger units. We will be staying on a premium site probably with a dog in each unit. But option to not have the dogs at all. Where should we stay/request? I have two younger kids @ 4,7 y/o respectively. We don't mind walking but would like and idea where we are being driven by all the time or have hordes of bugs. We will be there in Early May of 16. Any suggestions will be taken and researched on the great tools provided here on this site!!!!! Great site btw

Welcome.

It's FL, there are always going to be some sort of bugs around.

We were at the Fort last Memorial day and had hordes of those yellow 3 cornered biting flies around at the 1500 loop.

Thankfully the mosquitoes weren't bad.

Other people said they weren't bothered at all.

If you bring pets, May will be starting to get hot, so if you leave them in the camper you will need to have A/C running.

Make sure you have a couple of just Fort days scheduled for your stay.

Welcome!

In case it's helpful, we've got a page with information and links to maps, videos of all camping loops, Google Earth and mobile apps providing detailed information on Fort Wilderness camping loops, site classifications and site sizes and specs.

http://www.fortfiend...sifications-r61

The only premium loop I've stayed in is 500 - which we found to be a pretty good location in terms of proximity to the Settlement area and dog park, and the sites were nice and roomy.

Welcome!

Are you planning to put both of your "larger units" on one site?

Do you have or plan on renting a golf cart?

How long of a trip are you planning, and how many of those days will be days that you plan to visit parks?

TCD

We will have two sites hopefully in the same loop. LOL guess i should have phrased that better

Welcome.

It's FL, there are always going to be some sort of bugs around.

We were at the Fort last Memorial day and had hordes of those yellow 3 cornered biting flies around at the 1500 loop.

Thankfully the mosquitoes weren't bad.

Other people said they weren't bothered at all.

If you bring pets, May will be starting to get hot, so if you leave them in the camper you will need to have A/C running.

Make sure you have a couple of just Fort days scheduled for your stay.

I have two wonderful A/C units which will hmm along as long as the temp makes it stuffy inside my poorly vented unit. No matter what style of windows I've had, it never seems to move enough air to stay cool.

I like the 800 loop because the sites are bigger and there is a dog walk in the back of the outside sites.  Look at the sites towards the back.  I love site 841 as an example.  Florida does have mosquitoes but Disney sprays when everyone is asleep and they encourage the growth of bats to eat mosquito larvae.  Not that I think bats are such a big improvement.  May should be a good time to come down.  The pool water is still refreshing, not hot, it should not be crazy crowded and if you go to the parks you shouldn't burn in the sun to badly.  I found the walk from the back of the 800 loop to the pool took me 7-10 minutes and did not tire me out.  I did find a thirst for a frozen margarita along the way but I'm not sure if that was because of the walk or the fact that it was 3:00 PM and I always need one at that time. I also found that a thermocell is an excellent investment if you are worried about mosquitoes.  I also recommend bringing a large supply of your own bottled water.  Florida tap water is an acquired taste and buying a case of water at the settlement store will send you into shock no matter what your economic status is.  $17.00 for 24 16 oz bottles.  Still a little chafed over that one.

• 5 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2015 at 1:57 PM, DinDavie said:

I like the 800 loop because the sites are bigger and there is a dog walk in the back of the outside sites.  Look at the sites towards the back.  I love site 841 as an example.  Florida does have mosquitoes but Disney sprays when everyone is asleep and they encourage the growth of bats to eat mosquito larvae.  Not that I think bats are such a big improvement.  May should be a good time to come down.  The pool water is still refreshing, not hot, it should not be crazy crowded and if you go to the parks you shouldn't burn in the sun to badly.  I found the walk from the back of the 800 loop to the pool took me 7-10 minutes and did not tire me out.  I did find a thirst for a frozen margarita along the way but I'm not sure if that was because of the walk or the fact that it was 3:00 PM and I always need one at that time. I also found that a thermocell is an excellent investment if you are worried about mosquitoes.  I also recommend bringing a large supply of your own bottled water.  Florida tap water is an acquired taste and buying a case of water at the settlement store will send you into shock no matter what your economic status is.  $17.00 for 24 16 oz bottles.  Still a little chafed over that one.

Do you use a filter on your water intake? I will have bottled water just because you mentioned it, but I am still curious

1 hour ago, Campingdad said:

Do you use a filter on your water intake? I will have bottled water just because you mentioned it, but I am still curious

We've never tried a filter and have always used bottled water as it is pretty cheap when compared to a filter that we would only use on rare occasions. I'm also not sure that one of those inline filters would do much as it isn't chlorine but, to me anyway, a brackish plastic taste. For Florida we typically buy a 2 gal jug for the wife's coffee or my tea and a case of bottled water for drinking, brushing teeth and so on. There's just the two of us and this will usually last us a week which is how long we stay for.

The small in line filters from Walmart (camco I think) don't do a whole lot for the water. For me brushing teeth, coffee, tea, showers and such aren't a problem with the Fort water but we do bring bottles for drinking, which also allows you to toss a couple in a bag for the parks or when you are out and about.

As far as the bugs it really just depends, I have been when the mosquitoes are thick enough to carry you off and non existent another of FL's charms. We have a bug zapper that is the first thing we plug in and last thing we unplug anywhere we go. As much as I'd rather not use it nothing really seems to work better than some good Ole deet, or staying inside for a couple hours around dusk.

What type of units will you be staying in? The 500 is close to the dog park. 700, 800, and 900 back up to a dog walk. I have stayed in 500, 700, 900 and would say it would end up coming down to what you want to be near, if you'll be renting or bringing a cart, using internal busses or prefer to walk.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I prefer a full hook up site.  However, for a premium, we like the 1100 and 1200 loops.  I don't drive the MH, it's a 40ft diesel, but my husband said they are easy to back in to.  You are about equal distance from the outpost and the marina.  We have walked and biked to both.  Hope this helps.

Water filters run the gamut from cheap and ineffective to expensive and very effective.  We have a whole house filter that does a pretty good job with a moderate filter cartridge.  We also have a cheaper filter on our hose that mainly filters sediment that may be in the supply water.  I don't know if that does a lot, but we have always used one.  Never had a problem with the taste, but to each his own.

We are relatively new to dogs at the Fort (1 1/2 years) compared to our visits (18 years or so), but we have not encountered any problems so far.  The designated pet loops have bag stands, but pets are now often put in any loop.  Just remember to clean up for the sake of others.  And I just found out Walmart carries pet bags and dispensers, with refill rolls of bags in any color of the rainbow.  (As i said, we are relatively new to this dog stuff.)

We rented a golf cart a couple of times, but finally bought one because we are fairly regular visitors.  I seemed cheaper before we had to replace the batteries.  :rolleyes:

We have not had a bad campsite, but some are easier to get into than others, depending on how big your rig is.  The link above has information on site dimensions and ease of backing-in listed.

Welcome and enjoy.  Don't fret the small stuff.  The Fort is a great place to vacation, whether you do the parks or not.