Pictures of the insides of the remodeled Cabins

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Overall, I like everything they did.   But, one small critique- I don't like the fabric on the couch.  It's doesn't fit the wilderness theme.   Also, it looks like they ditched the coffee table, and t

Went by some cabins today and they were gutting the insides. We kind of snuck up and were interrupted just after I snapped this picture so I don't have anymore. They were working on two at one time.

Currently staying in the cabins, 2500 loop.  Not impressed with the remodel.  We have stayed in the cabins numerous times and have always been happy, but not this time. The new refrigerator has a

The only things I know about convection ovens are, they cook faster and I need to lower the temperature when I use the one at church for baking bread.  It browned the bread too fast before it had really finished baking.  Went from 375 to 325.  Never used a convection/micro wave oven before.  It looks smaller than a regular oven but probably will be OK, maybe not to roast a turkey :)

Do the cabins come with a slow cooker/crock pot? That would be handy.

Our MH has the oven/microwave combo.  It works just fine as an oven.  I don't think it's a true convection oven, because you don't lessen the time or temperature.  It also has a micro/bake setting, which I've yet to find a use for, where you put your stuff in and it microwaves it for a while and then bakes it. 

It's kinda tricky in how you operate it, like once it preheats (which seems to take forever), you have 5 minutes to enter how long you want it to cook and then start, otherwise it will then shut off and start cooling down.  But if you're not inside (or have the TV too loud) when it beeps that it's ready, you're not really sure if it's ready.  It does have a progress bar, but that's not super clear either. So, we had some times when we first got it where stuff was just sitting in the oven not baking.

Other than that the only drawback is if you're using the oven and someone needs to quickly microwave something, they have to wait.  That's why we take a toaster oven and bake stuff in that when it fits.  Obviously if you are flying down to stay in the cabins you don't want to haul a toaster oven with you.

After I saw Jason's photos and thinking about the changes, I wanted to see if there was anything about these changes on the official Disney site.

There wasn't.  I looked through the photo gallery they have, and I found some things that I thought were interesting.  Since those photos will likely be changing at some point in the near future, I screen-shot a few.  I thought some others might find them interesting, so I'll post them here.

As I said, these all came off of the official Disney site:  https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/cabins-at-fort-wilderness-resort/

I also thought it would be interesting to compare some of these directly to the photos Jason posted, so I'm going to repost three of his photos in this thread.

Let's start out with this shot of the living area, showing the old style couch.  I never liked the looks of these couches, nor did I understand why they chose to use a love seat size when a full size would have fit fine:

cabin%20couch_zpsbpocgvbc.jpg

Across from the couch, we can see the small table and small chairs along with the TV:

cabin%20TV%20and%20table_zps9hcykqs7.jpg

I remember those chairs- as they were kid sized and not adult size,  but even so, they were too tall for the table, which was annoying. 

But here's something I didn't know- some of the cabins apparently had full size chairs.  You can see that these are higher than the chairs in that previous photo (also note that the oven in this shot has a black front) :

cabin%20TV%20and%20table.2_zpsp2cfjn7m.j

Here's a look at the room lay-out:

cabin%20murphy%20bed_zpsoldepdow.jpg

And, for comparison, here's the new look:

remodeled%20cabin.2_zpszlvbyntx.jpg

Something else that I discovered from Disney's photos is that some of the cabin kitchens had different layouts.  I never knew that.  I thought they were all the same.  But look:

This shot shows the kitchen as I remember it:

cabin%20kitchen_zpsa4psf63i.jpg

Note the white oven, and you can see the pantry cabinet on the far right.

Here's another shot of that kitchen layout:

cabin%20kitchen.2_zpsjhnicyx4.jpg

There really isn't much counter space.

Check this out- Some of the cabins had side by side refrigerators with in-door ice dispensers:

cabin%20kitchen.3_zpsdteu574i.jpg

And then there was this photo, which has the appliances and sink in different spots:

cabin%20kitchen.4_zpstam6xksd.jpg

This is the new kitchen, for comparison:

remodeled%20cabin.1_zpssxxilwhw.jpg

Lastly, let's look at the bedroom:

The size of the bed in this shot doesn't look any different from the new bed:

cabin%20bedroom_zps4g0n7pzs.jpg

remodeled%20cabin.3_zpsxhqlsxav.jpg

But, look at this:

cabin%20bedroom.2_zpsnda5qpz6.jpg

That bed definitely looks narrower, right?

But, read the text there at the bottom, where they say this cabin has a queen bed and a full size pull-down.

So, if they are saying these remodeled cabins have a queen bed, I'm questioning that, as they were calling the old beds queen sized as well.

Overall, I liked the cabins the way they were better than the remodeled ones.  They could have just swapped out the kitchen appliances, and saved themselves a lot of money.

TCD

After I saw Jason's photos and thinking about the changes, I wanted to see if there was anything about these changes on the official Disney site.

There wasn't.  I looked through the photo gallery they have, and I found some things that I thought were interesting.  Since those photos will likely be changing at some point in the near future, I screen-shot a few.  I thought some others might find them interesting, so I'll post them here.

As I said, these all came off of the official Disney site:  https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/cabins-at-fort-wilderness-resort/

I also thought it would be interesting to compare some of these directly to the photos Jason posted, so I'm going to repost three of his photos in this thread.

Let's start out with this shot of the living area, showing the old style couch.  I never liked the looks of these couches, nor did I understand why they chose to use a love seat size when a full size would have fit fine:

cabin%20couch_zpsbpocgvbc.jpg

Across from the couch, we can see the small table and small chairs along with the TV:

cabin%20TV%20and%20table_zps9hcykqs7.jpg

I remember those chairs- as they were kid sized and not adult size,  but even so, they were too tall for the table, which was annoying. 

But here's something I didn't know- some of the cabins apparently had full size chairs.  You can see that these are higher than the chairs in that previous photo (also note that the oven in this shot has a black front) :

cabin%20TV%20and%20table.2_zpsp2cfjn7m.j

Here's a look at the room lay-out:

cabin%20murphy%20bed_zpsoldepdow.jpg

And, for comparison, here's the new look:

remodeled%20cabin.2_zpszlvbyntx.jpg

Something else that I discovered from Disney's photos is that some of the cabin kitchens had different layouts.  I never knew that.  I thought they were all the same.  But look:

This shot shows the kitchen as I remember it:

cabin%20kitchen_zpsa4psf63i.jpg

Note the white oven, and you can see the pantry cabinet on the far right.

Here's another shot of that kitchen layout:

cabin%20kitchen.2_zpsjhnicyx4.jpg

There really isn't much counter space.

Check this out- Some of the cabins had side by side refrigerators with in-door ice dispensers:

cabin%20kitchen.3_zpsdteu574i.jpg

And then there was this photo, which has the appliances and sink in different spots:

cabin%20kitchen.4_zpstam6xksd.jpg

This is the new kitchen, for comparison:

remodeled%20cabin.1_zpssxxilwhw.jpg

Lastly, let's look at the bedroom:

The size of the bed in this shot doesn't look any different from the new bed:

cabin%20bedroom_zps4g0n7pzs.jpg

remodeled%20cabin.3_zpsxhqlsxav.jpg

But, look at this:

cabin%20bedroom.2_zpsnda5qpz6.jpg

That bed definitely looks narrower, right?

But, read the text there at the bottom, where they say this cabin has a queen bed and a full size pull-down.

So, if they are saying these remodeled cabins have a queen bed, I'm questioning that, as they were calling the old beds queen sized as well.

Overall, I liked the cabins the way they were better than the remodeled ones.  They could have just swapped out the kitchen appliances, and saved themselves a lot of money.

TCD

Interesting.

I wonder how much difference in cost from the remodel and just replacing the entire unit?

The Touring Plans Blog has posted a new article on the Fort Wilderness cabins, and part of it covers the remodel...

Cabins on loops 100, 2200, 2300, and 2500 are being remodeled. Below are a few pictures of a cabin on loop 2200 that is nearly complete. The kitchen and bathroom are completely replaced. The oven/stove is being replaced with a cook top. The Murphy bed is replaced by cabinets and a larger TV. I assume the sofa will be a pull out bed. The carpet in the bedroom has been replaced with hardwood flooring. The beds get new mattresses and the safe is replaced with a larger digital version. Flooring and deck are also replaced.

cabin-kitchen-700x432.jpg

Remodeled Kitchen

cabin-living-room-700x393.jpg

Remodeled Living Room

cabin-bathroom-394x700.jpg

Remodeled Bathroom

cabin-bedroom-394x700.jpg

Remodeled Bedroom

Full article...

http://blog.touringplans.com/2015/10/03/s6-cabins/

If they only replace the bed then they are full.  I looked at the photos when they came out and compared them to mine and said doesn't look like a queen.  We come from a king and only one of us fits on the full.  (usually its me and the kid and hubs gets the twin).DSCN0512_zps630fd0cf.jpg  

from our trip in 2012

I wonder why the weird colors on the couches? They don't have a rustic look to them at all.  I would put leather on the couches.  More expensive, I realize, but would hold up much longer.  I did see a  table/foot rest bench in one of the pics, so they do/did use leather once.  

My problem with the cabins isn't so much the interiors but the exteriors.  So many of them look run down.  The lattice they use as a skirt around the bottom is ill fitting and warped, and some of it has some funky black mildew or something growing on it.  They just don't look well maintained in many instances to me, and certainly don't look like a place that should cost several hundred dollars a night to rent.  

My problem with the cabins isn't so much the interiors but the exteriors.  So many of them look run down.  The lattice they use as a skirt around the bottom is ill fitting and warped, and some of it has some funky black mildew or something growing on it.  They just don't look well maintained in many instances to me, and certainly don't look like a place that should cost several hundred dollars a night to rent.

It looked like they were working on that too this past winter.

We have always stayed in the cabins, and here are my quick thoughts (based on how we use the cabins).

1. We will miss the pantry. This always served as extra clothes storage - we would let the 4 kids take the bedroom and the storage in that room really isn't enough when you're staying for a week or more. We'd give each of the kids a shelf and use the rest for pantry goods.

2. The storage cabinets on either side of the bed gave you enough room for two adults (although one side always seemed to be missing a shelf, lol). That being said, I guess the new TV location is OK, but honestly who wants to be in their cabin watching that much TV at Disney? I would have been happier if they split the closet in the bedroom and made more drawer space in there, instead of out in the main room where you don't really need it as much.

3. Sofa bed = downgrade. The murphy bed was always comfortable and you didn't have to muck about with moving cushions and the like to set up the bed. Plus we've now lost the couch, which was great if you had a cranky kid or needed a place to put things while the bed was down.

4. I'm OK with the oven going away. We've made meals for years there and I don't think we've ever used the oven. I also like the extra counter space - room for a slow cooker and more.

5. That sure doesn't look like a queen.

6. What did they upgrade in the bathroom besides the counter? I hope they upgraded the utilities; we've had them replace the filters in the cabin AC before, they looked pretty nasty.

7. If they upgraded the exteriors as well, that would certainly be an improvement. The decks and lattice under the cabins were always in bad condition. I hope they kept the grill though.

8. It looks like they added more outlets for charging stuff - cameras, phones etc all take up a lot of counter space and outlets. I'm all for that.

Some things they missed in this renovation, IMHO:

- the fabric on the couch is awful.

- outlets with USB plugs built in to them.

- losing the two small chairs is a big loss. Those were great to sit on and tie your shoes. Not just for kids, I say. That little table and the counter under the TV got a lot of use for charging stuff and as a nightstand.

- they need to install a low bench or shelf in the hall for shoe/bag storage.

- clotheslines for bathing suits. I think there used to be one in the tub/shower, I didn't see if they kept those in the renovation. Those were great for hanging wet ponchos and other items.

- the fabric on the couch is awful.

I'm sure I'll think up some other comments.

Hi Everyone,

I just joined the forum this afternoon and thought I would jump in the conversation.  My husband and I will be at the Fort next Friday for 8 nights and I am kind of hoping that we get a new cabin mostly for the newer mattresses. We usually prepare one meal a day in the cabin and I can't really say that we have ever used the oven but the stove top for sure.  I am wondering if they have changed the dishes and pots and pans.  We store our non-stick skillet with all of stuff we like to leave behind like our Halloween inflatables and lights.  Just 11 more sleeps!  Woo Hoo!

Hi Everyone,

I just joined the forum this afternoon and thought I would jump in the conversation. My husband and I will be at the Fort next Friday for 8 nights and I am kind of hoping that we get a new cabin mostly for the newer mattresses. We usually prepare one meal a day in the cabin and I can't really say that we have ever used the oven but the stove top for sure. I am wondering if they have changed the dishes and pots and pans. We store our non-stick skillet with all of stuff we like to leave behind like our Halloween inflatables and lights. Just 11 more sleeps! Woo Hoo!

Welcome!!!!

Hi Everyone,

I just joined the forum this afternoon and thought I would jump in the conversation.  My husband and I will be at the Fort next Friday for 8 nights and I am kind of hoping that we get a new cabin mostly for the newer mattresses. We usually prepare one meal a day in the cabin and I can't really say that we have ever used the oven but the stove top for sure.  I am wondering if they have changed the dishes and pots and pans.  We store our non-stick skillet with all of stuff we like to leave behind like our Halloween inflatables and lights.  Just 11 more sleeps!  Woo Hoo!

Yes, welcome and have fun at the fort!

Hi Everyone,

6190.gif

That fabric on the sofa must be really awful.  It seems to be the most mentioned complaint.  And someone on site needs to slip in, maybe with mousekeeping and measure the larger bed.  Not that we have ever stayed in a cabin, but I like the newer, updated look.  I know in the rehab shows on TV the kitchen is the most often changed room on the show.

We have a convection/microwave oven in our MH and have used it a couple of times for biscuits.  I also used the gas oven once, also for biscuits....too hard to light.  Looked like it had never been used when we bought the MH.  I wish our cooktop were a two burner.  I doubt we have EVER used all three burners at once.

Also, what kind of heating/cooling do they use in the cabins?  Any change there?

Wasn't there talk a few years ago about replacing the cabins in 2014?  I guess rehab is cheaper.

• 3 weeks later...

Got this letter in the mail yesterday regarding our upcoming trip and the new microwave/convection ovens:

22962065176_518bc869fe_b.jpg

"Please take this into consideration if you are planning holiday meals during the upcoming season"....LOL!  I'm surprised he didn't go on to say "don't try to shoehorn a turkey into it....we offer a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner at Mickey's Backyard BBQ for only $60/person!"