Disney and Duke Energy's new Solar farm near EPCOT

3 hours ago, djsamuel said:

I don't think so.  I would put it in the same category as the power line pole down where I-4 and World Drive meet.  Not hidden, and just done for the purpose of incorporating the icon.  Still pretty nice though. :)

I think it's cool that they do that.  They certainly don't have to and I'm sure it's an extra expense.

Although it's also marketing!  :)

• 1 month later...
On October 27, 2015 at 5:47 PM, keith_h said:

It's not just Florida. They are beating up the legislature in NC to kill any alternative energy sources unless they are part of Duke.

Problem is the legislature in the is state will give them what they want. I live here in wake county myself. 

From WDWMagic...

Disney World's 22 acre solar facility went live yesterday, bringing 5 megawatts of power generation to the resort and its partners.

Located just outside of Epcot, the facility is shaped like Mickey Mouse, and is made up of 48,000 solar panels - the equivalent of around 1000 residential rooftop systems.

Operated by Duke Energy, which will sell the alternative energy to Reedy Creek Improvement District to help meet the power needs of Walt Disney World Resort and its other customers, such as Four Seasons Resort and the hoteliers along Hotel Plaza Boulevard.

“We’re committed to providing our customers with greater access to renewable energy, and the Walt Disney World Solar Facility is one example of how we’re doing that,” said Alex Glenn, Duke Energy state president – Florida. “We appreciate this unique opportunity to collaborate with Reedy Creek Improvement District and Walt Disney World Resort to expand the use of solar energy generation in Florida.”

“As a company that cares about the environment, we continually take steps of varying sizes to benefit the environment and protect the planet,” said Angie Renner, environmental integration director for Walt Disney World Resort. “This new solar facility will help us in our efforts to conserve natural resources.”

Article Posted: Apr 13, 2016 / 7:18am EDT

http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/walt-disney-company/news/13apr2016-photo---walt-disney-worlds-solar-facility-goes-live.htm

3 hours ago, Travisma said:

And if I'm not mistaken, there are some more panels to the left of that picture between the trees and the main entrance to EPCOT, but they aren't in any particular shape other than the shape of the area they fit in.

You are correct.