CONFIRMED: Muppets Themed Restaurant at HS?

From WDWNT...

RUMOR: Pizza Planet at Hollywood Studios to Become Muppets Restaurant?
Pizza Planet at Disney’s Hollywood Studios is closing January 11th, 2016. If no further information was provided, we would assume this has something to do with the construction of the Star Wars themed land, but the restaurant is scheduled to re-open in late 2016. So… are the Muppets moving in?

toy-story-pizza-planet-gallery00.jpg?res

Provided Muppetvision 3-D is staying, it would make sense to finally turn this establishment into a Muppets themed restaurant, as originally intended back in 1991. With a refurbishment this long and an entire Toy Story Land being built on the other side of the park, it makes little sense for it to return as a Toy Story-themed eatery. While it may not be a Muppets re-theme, something is definitely happening to Pizza Planet in 2016.

We have no solid details at this time, but stay tuned for more on this as it develops.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2015/11/rumor-pizza-planet-at-hollywood-studios-to-become-muppets-restaurant/

• 7 months later...

A rumor no more!

PizzeRizzo Opening This Fall at Disney’s Hollywood Studios

Rachel Bshero

by Rachel Bshero, Food & Beverage Marketing Communications Coordinator

Pizza lovers, rejoice! PizzeRizzo will open this fall in Muppets Courtyard at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, in the former Toy Story Pizza Planet location. Rizzo The Rat owns and operates the pizzeria, where guests can grab a pizza pie and a cold drink. Enjoy a casual Italian-American dining experience in a whole new way, through the eyes of the lovable, wisecracking Muppet.

Walt Disney Imagineering hid hints of Rizzo, his extended family and friends who have visited PizzeRizzo over the years throughout the two-story quick-service location. In addition to the expansive indoor and outdoor seating area, guests will be able to dine in a “cheesy” banquet room, or take five in a special booth designated just for Rizzo’s celebrity friends.

Stay tuned to the Disney Parks Blog for more delicious details about PizzeRizzo!

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/07/pizzerizzo-opening-this-fall-at-disneys-hollywoodstudios/

• 2 weeks later...

A Rizzo or zany Muppet themed table service was originally slated for MGM Studios' opening in '89. It became Mama Melrose due to costs. The idea for was for the rats to be running the place just out of sight. The rats scurrying overhead in the rafters, holes in the wall, smokey explosions and other noises from the Swedish Chef in the kitchen, menu variety, etc. were all supposed to entertain and allude to the obvious. I was happy for the announcement but sad to assume from the descriptions that it's not going to be on par with the original concept. 

• 3 months later...

It opens November 18th.

Muppets-Themed Eatery, PizzeRizzo to Open November 18 at Disney’s Hollywood Studios

Rachel Bshero

by Rachel Bshero, Food & Beverage Marketing Communications Coordinator

PizzeRizzo – the classic family pizzeria owned by Rizzo – will open in Muppets Courtyard at Disney’s Hollywood Studios on November 18. While enjoying personal-sized pies, guests will find décor inspired by Rizzo, as well as his extended family and friends who have visited PizzeRizzo over the years throughout the two-story eatery. Be sure to head upstairs to Rizzo’s Deluxe Supreme Banquet Hall, where there’s a wedding reception already in progress; join the party and show off your best moves under the disco ball to the world’s greatest party playlist!

PizzeRizzo

I also have mouthwatering menu details to share! Entrees are served with a side Caesar salad, and include personal-sized Pizza Pies, available in four varieties—vegetable, pepperoni, meat lovers and cheese, as well as a Meatball Sub. If you’re looking for a lighter option, the Antipasto Salad features a bed of Romaine lettuce piled high with tomatoes, Mozzarella, Kalamata olives, ham, pepperoni, salami and Balsamic Vinaigrette.

PizzeRizzo

For dessert, indulge in traditional Italian sweets like Cannoli and Tiramisu. Specialty drinks will also be available, including a non-alcoholic Peach Bellini, and a Wildberry-Basil Lemonade Limoncello in addition to beer and wine for adults.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/10/muppets-themed-eatery-pizzerizzo-to-open-november-18-at-disneys-hollywood-studios/

TCD

35 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

This all looks/sounds spiffy, but if they don't up their game on the pizza, it may end up being all fluff and no substance.

It did not escape my notice that the menu for this "new' restaurant looks virtually identical to the one it replaced, right down to the limited choices between pizza and meatball subs.

I do not have a good feeling about the pizza game being upped.

TCD

1 minute ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

It did not escape my notice that the menu for this "new' restaurant looks virtually identical to the one it replaced, right down to the limited choices between pizza and meatball subs.

I do not have a good feeling about the pizza game being upped.

TCD

Well that stinks...

I wonder if it'll be that crowded since it's kind of out of the way now in a dead end area.

And to get off track, have you seen the newer HS maps that show trees/green space where they have closed off the construction areas?

14 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Well that stinks...

I wonder if it'll be that crowded since it's kind of out of the way now in a dead end area.

And to get off track, have you seen the newer HS maps that show trees/green space where they have closed off the construction areas?

It's going to be crowded.  It's new and novel.  Pizza Planet was always crowded, and everyone is going to want to come and see the rat.

I hope I'm wrong about the pizza, but I doubt it.  Even though they've rethemed this restaurant, it's still a WDW quick serve restaurant, and all the ones that serve pizza serve the same kind of pizza.  All of the crust is premade in some central location, and then shipped out to these places. I don't expect anything different here.

No, I haven't seen the new DHS maps.  I'll have to pick one up the next time I'm there.

TCD

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it soft opened yesterday, and GDF's boyfriend was there and already posted his review:

http://www.easywdw.com/easy/blog/pizzerizzo-review-at-disneys-hollywood-studios/

Spoiler alert:

The pizza and meatball subs are exactly the same as what they served when it was Pizza Planet.  They even reused the photos of the Pizza Planet pizzas for the menu.

Oh well.

TCD