I had some leftover uncooked butternut squash and some Gala apples that were getting a little soft.  I found this recipe, left out the onions, used garlic powder instead of fresh, used chicken stock instead of vegetable, left out the sage, used 1% milk instead of CashewMilk, and did not garnish. And it was still delicious !

-----------------------------------------------

Instant Pot Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
8 servings
Prep Time   10 mins
Cook Time   20 mins

Ingredients
  • 2 Tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 medium yellow onion, chopped {about 1 cup}
  • 2 large cloves fresh garlic, minced
  • 1 medium butternut squash {about 2 pounds} peeled, seeded, and cut into 1 inch cubes
  • 2 Gala apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1 inch chunks
  • 2 cups vegetable stock
  • 1 teaspoon dried sage
  • 1/3 cup CashewMilk
  • sea salt and black pepper, to taste
  • toasted almond slices and paprika, to garnish
  1. Press the Saute button and allow the inner pan/liner to heat up. When HOT shows up on the display, add the olive oil.

2. Add the onion and cook until the onion starts to soften, about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep them from burning.

3. Add the garlic, stir and cook for one additional minute. Add the butternut squash and cook for another 5 minutes to soften.

4. Add the vegetable stock, apples, and sage.

5. Press the Cancel button, stir to combine, and secure the lid. Make sure the knob is in the Sealing position. Press Manual and adjust the time to 10 minutes using the + and – buttons.

6. When the pot beeps, allow the pressure to release naturally, about 15 minutes. Remove the lid.

7. Carefully puree the soup with an immersion blender until smooth. 

8. Stir in the CashewMilk. Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed. Ladle the soup into a bowl and garnish with toasted almonds and paprika.

(from: https://cookingwithcurls.com/2017/09/09/instant-pot-butternut-squash-and-apple-soup/ )

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you do a Google search for Black Friday Instant Pots, the Wal-Mart ad that Jason and Big Kahuna reference comes up. But in the ad it says pre Black Friday shop now (lots of stores are selling

Of course not what I thought of when reading instant pot. Lol

You find that kind in the 3000 loop

On 11/12/2017 at 3:52 PM, Big Kahuna aka John said:

OK all you procrastinators...   Your ability to put off buying an Instant Pot is being rewarded.  Walmart Black Friday has the 5 QT. on page 32 at $49.00..  

If you do a Google search for Black Friday Instant Pots, the Wal-Mart ad that Jason and Big Kahuna reference comes up.

But in the ad it says pre Black Friday shop now (lots of stores are selling some Black Friday items already), and it lists the prices as $56.69 if you shop on line, or in store only at $49.00.

I clicked on purchase, and it gave me an options to ship to home and would arrive on 11/29,  pick up at store X on 11/29  or AVAILABLE IN STORE NOW.

So took an early lunch and drove over to the closest store to work.

Found 3, 6, and 8 quart models, but no 5?

Got an associate, she took me to the same aisle, said that's all they have, the 5 qt. was a Black Friday ad item and they were not available yet (even though the ad said it was).

She went and got a manager.  Got the same story, it's available on Black Friday only, can't bring any out, corporate made the ad, etc.

I asked if they would give me the 6 qt for the ad price, and she did.

So I got a 6 qt regularly $79.00 for $49.00.

28 minutes ago, Big Kahuna aka John said:

Amazon steps up with yet another weird one...  a 3 Quart ?  for $49.00  It appears that Walmart is still winning the Instant Pot war

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y1YD5W7/ref=nosim/?tag=theblacom06-20

3 quart came out a while back and is pretty popular. 

• 2 months later...

Quick and easy Shredded BBQ chicken recipe for dinner:

2 chicken breasts, fresh or thawed

3/4 cup of your favorite bbq sauce

1/4 cup water

1 small onion, finely chopped/diced

for serving:

club rolls

sliced cheese of your liking (we like provolone)

cole slaw

sliced pickles

Put the sauce, water and onion in the bottom of your instant pot and stir together. Place the chicken breasts on top.

Close the lid, set the vent to seal and turn the IP on to the manual setting for 8 minutes on 'high'. When the time is done, allow a natural pressure release.

Open the lid, shred the chicken with two forks to your desired consistency. Stir the chicken into the sauce and let it soak up some of the sauce; if the remaining sauce is not thick enough you can turn the IP on to the saute setting and let it boil for a few minutes to thicken up.

Serve on rolls with accoutrements.

20 hours ago, shoreline99 said:

Quick and easy Shredded BBQ chicken recipe for dinner:

2 chicken breasts, fresh or thawed

3/4 cup of your favorite bbq sauce

1/4 cup water

1 small onion, finely chopped/diced

for serving:

club rolls

sliced cheese of your liking (we like provolone)

cole slaw

sliced pickles

Put the sauce, water and onion in the bottom of your instant pot and stir together. Place the chicken breasts on top.

Close the lid, set the vent to seal and turn the IP on to the manual setting for 8 minutes on 'high'. When the time is done, allow a natural pressure release.

Open the lid, shred the chicken with two forks to your desired consistency. Stir the chicken into the sauce and let it soak up some of the sauce; if the remaining sauce is not thick enough you can turn the IP on to the saute setting and let it boil for a few minutes to thicken up.

Serve on rolls with accoutrements.

Ah...thanks for this!  I've done ribs in the IP (cooked them there, then switched them over to the oven/grill after adding the bbq sauce), but never thought of putting bbq sauce IN the IP.  I bet that might work well, for a pulled pork recipe.

12 minutes ago, Seals said:

I can't believe that  crock pot (Crock-Pot company claims that was a generic one) lasted 18++ years, especially with a faulty switch.  Mine died after about 10. 

I don't watch that show, (wife does), but 2 things.

1:Why leave a slow cooker plugged in if you aren't actively cooking in it?

2: Why on earth would you leave it plugged in if you were warned that the switch was bad?

I imagine Rival is fuming about a crock pot supposedly killing someone.  I bet the next episode is getting re-written to show something else caused the blaze.

4 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Ah...thanks for this!  I've done ribs in the IP (cooked them there, then switched them over to the oven/grill after adding the bbq sauce), but never thought of putting bbq sauce IN the IP.  I bet that might work well, for a pulled pork recipe.

Yes, we've done pulled pork in the instant pot in a similar manner. The trick is to mix in a little water so it comes up to pressure easier, or use a thinner (ie vinegar based) sauce. I suppose you could do Dr. Pepper or Root Beer pulled pork pretty easily.

4 minutes ago, shoreline99 said:

Yes, we've done pulled pork in the instant pot in a similar manner. The trick is to mix in a little water so it comes up to pressure easier, or use a thinner (ie vinegar based) sauce. I suppose you could do Dr. Pepper or Root Beer pulled pork pretty easily.

What a lot of people do to keep the meats out of the water/juices/grease, is to use a springform pan on top of the wire rack, or a steamer basket. on the rack.  You add the water up to the bottom of the pan or steamer.

40 minutes ago, Travisma said:

What a lot of people do to keep the meats out of the water/juices/grease, is to use a springform pan on top of the wire rack, or a steamer basket. on the rack.  You add the water up to the bottom of the pan or steamer.

Yes, we have one of those trivets. I've used it to make cheesecake, meatloaf and other items that do need to sit up out of the water. I'd say it's a good purchase (along with a 7" springform pan). I have a steamer basket too but haven't tried it in the IP.

10 minutes ago, shoreline99 said:

Yes, we have one of those trivets. I've used it to make cheesecake, meatloaf and other items that do need to sit up out of the water. I'd say it's a good purchase (along with a 7" springform pan). I have a steamer basket too but haven't tried it in the IP.

I bought the springform to make lasagna (haven't made it yet), but it won't be very large, maybe enough for 2 with a side salad and a lot of bread!

59 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Good tip!

2 hours ago, Travisma said:

I don't watch that show, (wife does), but 2 things.

1:Why leave a slow cooker plugged in if you aren't actively cooking in it?

2: Why on earth would you leave it plugged in if you were warned that the switch was bad?

I imagine Rival is fuming about a crock pot supposedly killing someone.  I bet the next episode is getting re-written to show something else caused the blaze.

Oh crockpot has already come out with many social media things about it. I actually feel bad for them!