Cup of water. Pound of frozen ground beef on the trivet. 20 minutes then quick release. Ground beef for tacos, spaghetti sauce, whatever. I usually end up needing to pick up someone from rehearsal or practice when I'm in the middle of cooking ground beef in the skillet so this is a perfect solution for me. 

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you do a Google search for Black Friday Instant Pots, the Wal-Mart ad that Jason and Big Kahuna reference comes up. But in the ad it says pre Black Friday shop now (lots of stores are selling

Of course not what I thought of when reading instant pot. Lol

You find that kind in the 3000 loop

11 hours ago, Seals said:

Cup of water. Pound of frozen ground beef on the trivet. 20 minutes then quick release. Ground beef for tacos, spaghetti sauce, whatever. I usually end up needing to pick up someone from rehearsal or practice when I'm in the middle of cooking ground beef in the skillet so this is a perfect solution for me. 

Did you buy the trivet separately?  I don't remember getting one...

Have you seen the prices of those folding steaming baskets lately, the ones that look like flower petals with holes in them?

They used to be about $2 or 3, but now they are anywhere from $8 to $25.

I'm wondering if the increase is due to the popularity of InstantPots?

I've seen quite a few recipes call for putting items in them that you don't want sloshing around in the liquid below the steamer.

14 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

Mine didn't come with one, but I got my IP around 5 years ago so maybe they didn't include then?

I got my on Amazon about a year and a half ago. It came with: "Accessories include, stainless steel steam rack with handles, rice paddle, soup spoon, measuring cup, condensation collector and recipe booklet."   

2 minutes ago, Seals said:

I got my on Amazon about a year and a half ago. It came with: "Accessories include, stainless steel steam rack with handles, rice paddle, soup spoon, measuring cup, condensation collector and recipe booklet."   

Mine has the same. 

22 minutes ago, Seals said:

I don't even think they were sold on Amazon yet when we got ours.  My wife buys everything on Amazon, but I seem to remember her buying me the IP from some Canadian company.  

On 2/20/2018 at 10:45 AM, Seals said:

What I'm calling the trivet, you may call the metal steaming rack that I think comes with all Instant Pots.   I like fancy words :lol:

Haha...funny ?

23 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

Mine didn't come with one, but I got my IP around 5 years ago so maybe they didn't include then?

I don't think mine did either.

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, shoreline99 said:

In the article the author said they though it was better than 2 buck Chuck, but hey. 

Might be worth a try just to see...

I saw where people were wondering about using different types/flavors of juice.  I guess it would be a fun project and if you don't have a place to purchase inexpensive decent wine it would probably be less expensive in some cases to make your own.

I used to make my own wine a few years ago. I used glass gallon demijohns with an aquarium heater. With this method the yoghurt function works in place of the heater and the vent will release the gases produced. The stuff I brewed was drinkable, I bought juice from home brew shops though not the grocery store. Also I would think with this method you would still want to transfer to a another container for secondary fermentation and filter. It was a lot of effort for 6 bottles of wine, I did do one 30 bottle batch but that's more equipment.

I may be tempted to try this for making hard cider, less concern about filtering and maturing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, slices said:

I used to make my own wine a few years ago. I used glass gallon demijohns with an aquarium heater. With this method the yoghurt function works in place of the heater and the vent will release the gases produced. The stuff I brewed was drinkable, I bought juice from home brew shops though not the grocery store. Also I would think with this method you would still want to transfer to a another container for secondary fermentation and filter. It was a lot of effort for 6 bottles of wine, I did do one 30 bottle batch but that's more equipment.

I may be tempted to try this for making hard cider, less concern about filtering and maturing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I brew beer, and my first thought was to try this for making hard cider as well!