A Tale of Two Holidays

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times ..."

I really debated about doing a trip report.  My initial feeling was that this trip was going to be too long and too busy and that I wouldn't do one.

But then partway through the trip I had a visit from a fellow FF, someone I'd never met before, who stopped to tell me how much he likes my trip reports and my photos.  I will eventually find his name in my notes, but it will take awhile.  Anyway, he was very complimentary and inspired me to do this TR.  If he is here reading, I hope he says hello!

Sunday, October 25, 2015

We got a late start.  Left home around 6am.  Stopped at Bojangles for a snack and got onto the interstate around 6:30.  David had only two hours of sleep the night before. 

Stopped at the Cracker Barrel in Orangeburg, SC, for our usual breakfast there.  I had already managed to lose my ink pen, so I bought this one here thinking there was no way I would lose it:

_DSC7728%20copy_zpsrmvh5u7m.jpg

And it did make it home with me!

The temperature was rising so quickly that we had to make an unscheduled stop in SC to change clothes.  Got hung up in a cramped parking lot, and the stop ended up taking us way too long.

Finally arrived at the St. Augustine Flying J a little before 5pm.  I was beyond exhausted, and David was too.

_DSC7726%20copy_zpsehtpu9ba.jpg

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Monday, October 26

Left St. Augustine early the next morning and arrived on Disney property around 7am.

_DSC7732%20copy_zpsvjikyr68.jpg

_DSC7738%20copy_zpscd1gz1vy.jpg

And then it was on to the Fort ...

_DSC7740%20copy_zpspd9xyq9h.jpg

Kassie seemed to be saying "are we there yet?"

_DSC7748%20copy_zpsaspa1mg5.jpg

I hadn't been at the fort for 15 minutes before I ran into a fellow Fiend!  It was Kelly Waldrep.  It's so great to see familiar faces while on vacation!

We left Kassie in Dolly and went to TE for some long-awaited breakfast.

_DSC7749%20copy_zpsyb6ccz2u.jpg

Josie welcomed us like long-lost friends.

_DSC7750%20copy_zps0gjly6vx.jpg

Meanwhile I wasn't too happy with the sight of Pioneer Hall from the expanded golf cart parking lot:

_DSC7755%20copy_zpsa7mg5ta4.jpg

Thankfully it's hard to see the lot when you're on the Pioneer Hall side of the hedge.

After breakfast we went looping.  We had requested 702, 701, or 703.  And were told that none of those sites would be available.  But we found out that the couple on 701 had to depart suddenly ... and the couple on 702 moved (unauthorized) onto 701 ... which left 702 free.  We made a beeline back to the Outpost to report what we had found out ... and were told we could get 702 as soon as it was cleared!  Score!

So by 11am we were settled into 702. 

We got the essentials set up.

DSCN1986%20copy_zpskdsnzbiu.jpg

And then we headed out to the Magic Kingdom. 

_DSC7758%20copy_zps6amcqbhu.jpg

We went to Guest Services to purchase our APs and TIW card and then stepped onto Main Street.

Yes, I'm finally here!

_DSC7762%20copy_zpsjkuyt3dd.jpg

We stopped by the ice cream parlor.  Sugar-free raspberry sorbet:

DSC_7765%20copy_zpspg60zms2.jpg

And by then our next door neighbor had most of his site set up:

DSC_7769%20copy_zpsukk4ejgf.jpg

And it was time to call it a night.  It had been a long day!

Okay... now I can comment :) Looking forward to following along, your pictures are always so beautiful and with such a nice, long trip... I know there will be lots of beautiful ones to look at. Speaking of pictures, the one of Ms. Josie is great and I love the of David looking out the boat window. ...

Following! 1st!

FIRST!!

Dang it... Carol beat me.

Carol was quick today ...

First page

Thanks for being here!

Okay... now I can comment :) Looking forward to following along, your pictures are always so beautiful and with such a nice, long trip... I know there will be lots of beautiful ones to look at. Speaking of pictures, the one of Ms. Josie is great and I love the of David looking out the boat window. ...

You will probably be disappointed in my pictures.  I took less than half as many as usual (only 2,000).  And I'm trying not to repeat from last trip.

In!

It was great meeting you at Lorna's party!

Following along. Kassie is so cute, does she adjust well when traveling?

Kassie usually has a rough couple of days while we're on the road, then settles down quickly once we get there.  But this was not a good trip for her.

On board..

We missed spending time with you this trip!

I'm in, love following trip reports. If only I was organized enough and remembered to take pictures.

Hope I don't disappoint!

I am here.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hey, Yvonne!  Wish we could have seen you this trip.

I'm in also page one!!!!!!!!!

Page one!!!

Thank you both for reading along.

I'm in, too, Gwen!  Great report, so far!

It starts off slow, but I promise it will get more interesting ...

I always enjoy reading your TR and seeing your photos, glad you decided to write a report.

Thank you.  Happy you're here.

Wow, I can't believe there is still a spot on page one!

I am thankful that you were able to spend two holidays at the Fort, Gwen.

And, I am very thankful for the Fiend who stopped by and encouraged you to write this report!

Bring it on!

TCD

Thanks for being here, TCD!

Tuesday, October 27

Didn't sleep well.  Too tired.  Woke up early.  This was the sight looking into the 600 loop:

DSC_7775%20copy_zpsddyplcei.jpg

Eerie, isn't it?

While I was waiting for David to wake up, I took a few pictures of the neighbors' sites.

DSC_7776%20copy_zpssvbstrx4.jpg

DSC_7778%20copy_zpsppyqzdpn.jpg

They all liked blow-ups.

Susan and John (red...Susan) came by for a visit.  We are always happy to see them.

Then we went to the dock to catch a boat to the MK.  One of the big boats was down for maintenance.  This one arrived:

DSCN1975%20copy_zpsdk3gfsqj.jpg

But of course it couldn't accommodate ECVs, so we had another long wait.  Eventually we made it to MK.

DSCN1978%20copy_zpsyuhkwioq.jpg

After riding PotC, we went to the Plaza Restaurant for lunch.

DSCN1981%20copy_zpsc4h4hdzt.jpg

I had the chocolate/vanilla swirl no sugar added shake ... yum!

DSCN1983%20copy_zpshiagawn2.jpg

(What's in the glass is only about half of what you get.  The remainder comes to the table in the metal container it's blended in.)

And the chicken strawberry salad:

DSCN1984%20copy_zps35grxqmt.jpg

Oops, I forgot to tell them no croutons.  But at least you can see what the full salad looks like.  It was delicious.