Potential Disneyland Trip - Need Advice

We are considering taking a trip to Disneyland in April of 2016, but since we have never been there I have some questions from those that have.

• Where is the best place to stay near Disneyland?  I am a Hilton Honors member and can use points for rooms unless an onsite property is comparable in price.
  • How many days should we plan to stay so we get to see both parks?  1 day for each park or more?
  • Are there any discount tickets for Disneyland?  We have a ton of Disney World tickets, but I understand those are not accepted at Disneyland.
  • Do they still utilize the paper fast pass or can you plan ahead?
  • Any other tips, advice, etc. is greatly appreciated.

We are considering taking a trip to Disneyland in April of 2016, but since we have never been there I have some questions from those that have.

There are several members of this forum who have been to Disneyland.  I've been three times in the past twelve months, so I'll take a stab at your questions.

Where is the best place to stay near Disneyland?  I am a Hilton Honors member and can use points for rooms unless an onsite property is comparable in price.

There are only three official Disney hotels at Disneyland.  They're nice, but very, very expensive.

There are many off-site hotels located in walking distance to the parks, and there is also an extensive public bus system that provides transportation at a reasonable cost to those that are not within walking distance.

I've stayed at the Park Vue Inn, right across from Disneyland for two of our trips, and highly recommend it:  http://www.parkvueinn.com/

It is literally a five minute walk from that hotel to the park entrances.  It's closer than any Disney hotel is to a park at WDW.

I'm sure there are some Hilton hotels near Disneyland, and it may be a better deal for you to use points for those.  Try to find one that's walking distance if possible.

How many days should we plan to stay so we get to see both parks?  1 day for each park or more?

I think an ideal time is four days.  Maybe even five. Even though there are only two parks, the total number of attractions and shows is about the same as WDW has in four parks.  If you've never been, you're going to want to see it all.  Plus, there are parades at both parks and  fireworks and Fantasmic at Disneyland, and World of Color at California Adventure.

Are there any discount tickets for Disneyland?  We have a ton of Disney World tickets, but I understand those are not accepted at Disneyland.

I don't think there are any discounts at Disneyland. They sell multiday passes just like they do at WDW, and those are your best bet.

Do they still utilize the paper fast pass or can you plan ahead?

As of now, yes, paper FP's.

There have been tests which suggest that some version of MDE may be coming to Disneyland, but nothing official has been announced.

If you want to read a first hand report or two about what it's like to visit Disneyland, my trip report from last December is here:

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/14371-the-tcd-gang-goes-to-disneyland/

And there's a current trip report being written covering my last two trips here:

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/16677-when-can-we-do-this-again-a-tcd-disneyland-double-dip/

TCD

I just looked. Most of the Hilton properties are closer to the convention center and DTD. The Anaheim Hilton is the closest to the parks. Very walkable.

I was curious how close the Anaheim Hilton was, so I looked.

Looks like it would be just over 3/4 of a mile to the entry area for the parks:

Anaheim%20Hilton%20to%20DLR_zpskjlomyf8.

There is probably also an ART (Anaheim Resort Transportation) bus stop close to the Hilton, and it would be quick bus ride to the parks from there.  I am not a big fan of the ART buses.  There's nothing wrong with them, but I would rather be close enough to walk.

TCD

Thanks to all for the quick feedback.  This is exactly what I was looking for so now I can start my research and planning should we decide on this trip next year.

As you research, I found the Tripadvisor website to be helpful.  They have various filters that you can use to search hotels with availability near Disneyland.  They also rank the Anaheim hotels, and, or course, have a lot of customer reviews.

I was looking on Tripadvisor, and see that there's a brand new Homewood Suites (that's Hilton, right?) that opened across from the Convention Center- it's getting mixed reviews so far, but I would take the negative reviews with a grain of salt-it's a brand new property.  That alone should make it nicer than 90% of the other Anaheim hotels.  Here's the Tripadvisor link if you want to read what they have to say about it:  http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g29092-d8072745-Reviews-Homewood_Suites_by_Hilton_Anaheim_Resort_Convention_Center-Anaheim_California.html

TCD

We stayed at the convention center Hilton last August. It was nice enough and they had a Starbucks in the lobby. The walk felt longer than it was just because we were doing so much during the day so we were spent by the end of the night. I would stay somewhere closer if I brought my child.

• 1 month later...

My husband and I visited last year and used Hilton points to stay at the Anaheim Hilton. We upgraded to a room with a balcony facing the park; I think it is called a fireworks view. The room was spacious and very nice. Our balcony could have easily accommodated 15 people and included a large table and comfortable seating. It was wonderful to enjoy the view and the beautiful weather each day. 

The walk from the hotel isn't a problem at all for adults, but I agree with rm0530 that young children may find the walk difficult after a long day at the park. You can easily fix that by riding the ART bus though. Tickets to utilize ART are available for purchase in the Hilton lobby. We only did 2 days at the park this time but had visited before as our daughter completed the college program there. I would suggest 5 days if you want to do everything. I was there two years ago in April also and would recommend packing clothing that you can layer as the evening was very cool and breezy.

The Starbucks was amazing and Downtown Disney is also a very short walk away with some great restaurants. If you have time, I would also take a look at the Aquarium of the Pacific. We really enjoyed spending a morning there.

Enjoy your trip!

For anyone planning a visit to Disneyland in 2016, make sure you familiarize yourself with all the attractions that are going to be down because of the start of construction on Star Wars Land there.

Beginning this month, they're shutting down Big Thunder Ranch, the Rivers of America (including all the boats and the Pirate Lair island), the railroad, and Fantasmic.  The Ranch is gone for good, and the other stuff is going to be down for a year or more.

They are also shutting down Jungle Cruise through April.  And the racecars (Autopia) for refurbishment.

That's a lot of stuff to have down at the same time.

They're going to introduce some things to try to fill the gaps, such as some unique experiences relating to the railroad and the Jungle Cruise: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/01/guests-to-experience-disneyland-park-attractions-in-new-ways-throughout-2016/, but those gimmicks are obviously not the same thing as being able to ride the attractions.

TCD

Thanks for all the advice and feedback on the rides that will be closed.  We have decided to go and have our fligths and room booked.  We chose to stay at the Park Vue Inn for 3 nights and do Disneyland 2 of the days.  We also want to go see the beaches, Hollywood and a few other places while we are in the area.

We are so excited to get to see Disneyland since we probably wont make Disney World this year!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Disneyland Brain dump, part 1

Park vue in was surprisingly good. It's an older hotel but the room we stayed in was newly renovated and slept 5 with no problem (2 beds and a pull out couch). It's really close to the entrance. Breakfast was good and we would stay there again. If you have a rental car, the spaces are small and you are better off parking behind the IHOP lot near the pool where there is more space.

Disneyland and DCA can be done in two days. Three would have been better, but two was all we had. Get there at rope drop and make the most of your mornings and the fast passes. We were able to hit every ride in DCA before mid afternoon, and most of DL before dinner (went back after dinner to hit most of the rides we missed, but still didn't get to Mr. Toad or Nemo). 

Do not miss the Paint the Night parade or the World of Color. Or pirates. Or HM. Or small world.

The bobsleds are really old and tired but it's a classic ride. Use the single rider line.

Hyperspace mountain is really cool and well done.

Indiana Jones is a great ride and has the longest queue in the world.

Skip the Roger Rabbit ride.

California Screamin' is freakin' awesome. Best ride there.

Do not fear the swinging cars on the fun wheel.

Skip goofy's sky school unless you feel like wearing a neck brace after.

Do not skip Trader Sam's. It's a hike to the Disneyland Hotel but it's worth it.

So glad to hear you had a good time! We also only have two days and want to make the most of it. Did you park hop? Also, I would love to know what attractions you hit first thing in the mornings. Just trying to make a game plan so we can experience as much as we possibly can. We're also a family of five, three teens so no little ones, we should be able to keep up a good pace.

Yes we park hopped. I'll post an abbreviated trip report when I get home next week. The best advice I can give you for planning is to get there as early as you can and make the most of the mornings. Unlike WDW we found mornings to be the best time to jump on the E ticket rides and were able to get a lot in by lunchtime.