Sharing this article for those of you ladies out there that share or do most of the driving when you travel, and those that have been hesitant to get behind the wheel.

That’s How We Roll: Lady Driver

http://www.gopetfriendlyblog.com/thats-how-we-roll-lady-driver/

Excerpt...

Stubbornness put me in the driver’s seat, but it’s unusual to see a woman behind the wheel of a big motorhome, and that’s unfortunate. Females are every bit as good at driving as males, so why aren’t women the primary drivers of half the motorhomes?

We had two Class A lady drivers in our loop.  One was traveling alone with her dog to Marathon, FL, from Chicago.  The other was driving a 45-footer.  Both impressively backed in their units with ease.

I can and will drive Dolly, but David prefers to do all the driving himself.

And let's don't forget our own Mo and NaCole!

I drive most of our trip down and back but... I only drive forward LOL.

There have been trips when I've been behind the wheel for 1400 miles, pulled up to our site, got out, and DH backed it in.  :rofl2:

I have backed into a site once - not at the Fort.  It wasn't pretty but I was by myself and pulled it off. 

When we first got our MH, Mr. CJHokie & I would take it out on the interstate for driving practice.  I was way more comfortable than him at first. But he does the majority of the driving so I have fallen out of practice and now am very nervous if I drive. Part of my problem is I'm short and the seat & steering wheel, while adjustable, don't adjust to fit me great.  Also I remember the salesman telling us when we were test driving that the brakes take about 1000 miles to get used to, and I just haven't reached that point. So, to sum up, he does 99% of the driving.

I've tried to get my wife to try driving with the trailer attached and she just won't go for it. I don't mind driving but do wish she was at least used to what it feels like in the event that I can't drive for whatever reason. She's also talked about a girls only camping trip with our daughters so it would be nice to say here's the keys and have fun.

I drive the MH about 50 percent to of the time. I do most of the night driving. I have also done solo trips with my son as well. I am just that stubborn. I sometimes drive the Jeep behind depending on if we are towing two different things. It just depends on the load. However, the first thing I did when we got the MH is learn how to drive it.

I can't afford to let my wife pull the camper or even drive my truck anymore.  She has wrecked a car twice in our driveway and then when my current truck was less then  1 year old she was pulled into a spot at work.  She backed out while gawking at the back up camera (which was clear) and proceeded to cut the wheel to the left while still between the lines.  She apparently didn't see her co-workers Hyundai on the passenger side as it's lower then the window.  She should have known it was there since she had to walk past it to get into the truck.  Anyway, she stopped turning the wheel when she heard the sound of metal on metal.  Fortunately for my truck, the bumper only received some scratches and a slight oval shaped dent that can be seen only in certain lighting conditions.  The Hyundai received $4k in damage.  Why yes, my insurance rates are high.  Why do you ask :)  Her current car now has trashed suspension and axles from abuse (i.e. airborne on our fine PA back country roads - I was in the passenger seat twice for that crap.)  Her car is a Jeff Gordon Edition Monte Carlo, even autographed personally by him several years ago.  I've seriously told her just because it's got a number on it doesn't mean she's in a road course race.   It was once a very nice car.  I won't go into her cracking the heads on 2 other cars because she kept on driving them while they were overheating with steam blowing out like an old locomotive...

Nope

Don't feel bad.  I know from towing our snowmobile and utility trailers that backing up a small trailer like that is actually a lot harder than something much bigger!

I think I'm mostly in the stubborn category (don't tell me there's something I can't do) but also DH has a miserable commute every day, so part of it is that I picked up most of the "recreational" driving.

There was also a good bit of not wanting to be stuck if he couldn't drive for any reason.  Which happened on one trip back from the Fort when he had the flu pretty bad.  While I can usually get a tank of gas worth of miles out of him coming and going (or a Carolina or 2), that trip I drove the whole way.

The one time I backed the TT into a site was actually a girls weekend with my sisters when DH was away with the guys.  I think he was more nervous than I was about that, but it went fine.  I even managed to use the dump station on the way out. 

I've actually floated the idea of driving the whole way to the Fort myself early and having him fly down and meet me (long, convoluted plan) - and I would totally do it, but he's not keen on having me on the road alone. 

Party pooper.

Don't feel bad.  I know from towing our snowmobile and utility trailers that backing up a small trailer like that is actually a lot harder than something much bigger!

I think I'm mostly in the stubborn category (don't tell me there's something I can't do) but also DH has a miserable commute every day, so part of it is that I picked up most of the "recreational" driving.

There was also a good bit of not wanting to be stuck if he couldn't drive for any reason.  Which happened on one trip back from the Fort when he had the flu pretty bad.  While I can usually get a tank of gas worth of miles out of him coming and going (or a Carolina or 2), that trip I drove the whole way.

The one time I backed the TT into a site was actually a girls weekend with my sisters when DH was away with the guys.  I think he was more nervous than I was about that, but it went fine.  I even managed to use the dump station on the way out. 

I've actually floated the idea of driving the whole way to the Fort myself early and having him fly down and meet me (long, convoluted plan) - and I would totally do it, but he's not keen on having me on the road alone. 

Party pooper.

If you had the pooches with you, you wouldn't be alone.

That's what I said!!  :D

So, Mr. CJH takes our MH by himself to the mountains for biking and usually takes the dog. One time the smoke detector battery ran out while he was driving and started beeping.  She completely loses her mind when that happens in our house (I think it has to do with her invisible fence training), so you guessed it, she lost her mind while he was driving.  She is a 90 lb. golden retriever and was trying to climb in his lap. He was pushing her away and then she went between the seat on the wall side and was up under the steering wheel and around the pedals. He finally had to pull off on the shoulder and shut her in the bathroom.  I wish we still had her crate, but alas, we don't. 

I used to drive our pop-up; in fact, I bought it and picked it up. The guy doing the orientation was like, are we waiting for your husband? When I said no, he said he didn't get a lot of orientations with just the woman. But I could not back that thing! One time I got to our house right at school bus time and couldn't get it in the driveway and started panicking the bus was going to come while I was blocking the street.  Mr. CJH had experience backing a boat trailer, so he could do it okay. And he has no trouble with the MH, though we've learned it's better for our marriage if someone else at the campground gives him hand signals.  Oddly, he can't back my Buick Enclave at all.

Would love to do a girls' weekend but do not have the confidence for that yet!  One of my friends went up early for our annual Halloween camping (about 45 min away), so I talked Mr. CJH into driving the MH up and helping me set up and then coming home to be in charge of the kids for 2 days! So nice to actually relax by myself at a campground for once.  :P

David was very uneasy about me and Chris driving down together for WWW.  If I tried to do it alone, I think he'd chain me to the house.

He just doesn't understand what Chris and I are capable of together!

...she lost her mind while he was driving.  She is a 90 lb. golden retriever and was trying to climb in his lap. He was pushing her away and then she went between the seat on the wall side and was up under the steering wheel and around the pedals. He finally had to pull off on the shoulder and shut her in the bathroom.

Oh jinkies!!  That's one problem I wouldn't have as our 3 ride in their crates in the truck.  Actually the toughest thing about a trip by myself would be how long it would take at a gas stop to fill the truck and let all 3 out.  LOL

Right now we "divide and conquer" - I pump the gas, DH is on potty duty.

Would love to do a girls' weekend but do not have the confidence for that yet! 

When I did it it helped that it wasn't very far away (1.5 hours), it was a campground I'd been to before, and my brother had friends staying there the same weekend and he asked them to help guide me in.

David was very uneasy about me and Chris driving down together for WWW.  If I tried to do it alone, I think he'd chain me to the house.

DH is not a fan of Nicole and I driving down for WWW at all, even though there's no towing involved, but thanks to a tracker app and frequent check-ins, he manages to not lose his mind worrying. 

We've discussed me driving alone - that would be tough for him. However I know the route well and have driven it many times; I stay on the major roadways; and I'm always aware of my surroundings. If I really insisted he wouldn't like it, but he'd survive.  8)

Oh yes he does! That's the problem! :D (insert witty emoticon here)

My wife has done a ton of the driving. She's only backed up once but generally is telling me what do do as we backup. She has a great sense of the mechanics of backing up. I think if she did it a couple of times, she'd rock it. Her biggest issue is rushing when she thinks she's in the way - she'll rush through turns or whatnot.

Oh yes he does! That's the problem! :D (insert witty emoticon here)

My wife has done a ton of the driving. She's only backed up once but generally is telling me what do do as we backup. She has a great sense of the mechanics of backing up. I think if she did it a couple of times, she'd rock it. Her biggest issue is rushing when she thinks she's in the way - she'll rush through turns or whatnot.

That is probably a good thing. Sometimes ignorance is bliss (from a husband of 33 years).  :lol: 

Oh jinkies!!  That's one problem I wouldn't have as our 3 ride in their crates in the truck.  Actually the toughest thing about a trip by myself would be how long it would take at a gas stop to fill the truck and let all 3 out.  LOL

Right now we "divide and conquer" - I pump the gas, DH is on potty duty.

When I did it it helped that it wasn't very far away (1.5 hours), it was a campground I'd been to before, and my brother had friends staying there the same weekend and he asked them to help guide me in.

DH is not a fan of Nicole and I driving down for WWW at all, even though there's no towing involved, but thanks to a tracker app and frequent check-ins, he manages to not lose his mind worrying. 

Oh my ... Brian is even worse than David!  We don't use a tracker app, and I don't check in.  If he wants to know where I am, he calls me.

That is probably a good thing. Sometimes ignorance is bliss (from a husband of 33 years).  :lol:

From the standpoint of WWW, ignorance IS bliss.  But from the standpoint of our safety, David knows what she packs and what she's capable of.  We may be two little old grandmas, but we can be dangerous if attacked.

Wow, I guess I'm fortunate, both Rick and I have traveled separately our entire marriage. (Although it IS a 2nd marriage for both of us). I travel for work extensively, and have pulled the camper all over the Eastern US by myself.

We've also done the "I drive the camper" and Rick flies in thing. Rick has also pulled the camper down and I've flown in, either from home due to work schedules or from other travel locations.

There's also been times when we drove down together, but then I flew out immediately to my next work travel spot and Rick drove home.

I'm actually a little bit leary of Rick hitching and unhitching. The one time he unhitched by himself (with TNBob's help), they dropped the tongue on the ground :)