The Enforcer Fairies are out!

It's just a matter of time before someone gets seriously injured by a Disney or private GC that was being driven recklessly.

For every few responsible drivers, there's a jacka** driver (drunk or sober) speeding thru the loops with an overloaded cart blaring music at all hours.

When that happens and the injured parties lawyers smell the blood in the water, Disney is going to have a big fight on their hands, and I don't think they will come out unscathed.

Does anyone know when they started cart rentals.

I don't think I saw them there in the late 70's thru the mid 80's but I could be mistaken.

They have already had bad wreaks. I was there back in 2010 when a guy was going the wrong way in the loop swerved to miss a cart coming the other way flipped his cart and it landed on a little girl. Florida Highway Patrol was out there. I didn't see the wreck happen but I saw the police and that's what I was told happened.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry to say, but I actually applaud security for noticing your type of cart. These ATV/UTV/SXS vehicles are strictly stated prohibited at the fort. It seems depending on the time of year, you will se

Is it a "true" GC or a GEM/NEV/Gator type vehicle? The flyer specifically states that a GEM/NEV can't be parked in the cart lots and Gator/Utility vehicles are not allowed at all. whether gas or elec,

Gotta love those kind of cast members. My daughter and I were at the counter service restaurant at the lodge having lunch one day. An older cm who I still see there was doing her job and a manager was

That explains things better.  I assume you mean one of these: http://www.badboybuggies.com/Home/sport

Allegedly, ATV's and Utility carts are prohibited, but we've all seen those.

I was wondering if they had changed the rules to ban gas carts.  It looks like the ticket was for having an ATV, not just because it had a gas engine.

TCD

And you'll still see them until they start publishing consistent rules, training all CMs on them, and then enforcing them across the boards.  Which I predict will happen right around the time this does...  0003.gif

As a matter of fact we saw a golf cart pulling a skate boarder behind. Security pulled them over. Security went one way skate boarder/ gc went the other. Soon as security was out of site skate boarder hanging on again. Did I mention driver looked about 12 or 13. And yes mom (I suppose) was sitting in passenger seat.

I wanna say I am positive I remember the rules stating no gas powered carts at least the first few times we visited the Fort (first trip was in 2009), but I am equally positive that the last couple times we visited this past year it didn't specify against gas at all.

The first year I brought my cart with us to the Fort was 2007 and gas was legal.

I wanna say I am positive I remember the rules stating no gas powered carts at least the first few times we visited the Fort (first trip was in 2009), but I am equally positive that the last couple times we visited this past year it didn't specify against gas at all.

The first year I brought my cart with us to the Fort was 2007 and gas was legal.

Yup.

Our memories can trick us.

I've been visiting the Fort regularly since the early '90's, and gas golf carts have been allowed for at least the past 20 years.

And they still are, despite the incorrect information stated in this thread and elsewhere.

TCD

Yup.

Our memories can trick us.

I've been visiting the Fort regularly since the early '90's, and gas golf carts have been allowed for at least the past 20 years.

And they still are, despite the incorrect information stated in this thread and elsewhere.

TCD

Have there always been carts at the Fort?

I don't remember them on our first visit in 77 , nor on visits there in the 80's.

That's not saying they weren't there, just that either I didn't remember them, or they weren't so prevalent that they were that noticeable.

I'm kind of thinking they arrived around the time the Trams left.

It seems to me that the Trams ran a lot more frequently than the busses, so carts weren't a necessity.

But that could be a memory issue there too!

Have there always been carts at the Fort?

I don't know.

I do know that fellow Fiend, Discamper aka Todd worked at the Fort when he did the Disney College Program in the 1980's, and he worked at the Bike Barn renting golf carts.

So, they had rental carts in the 1980's.  I don't know about the 70's.  Remember they had the FWRR then too. 

TCD

I don't know.

I do know that fellow Fiend, Discamper aka Todd worked at the Fort when he did the Disney College Program in the 1980's, and he worked at the Bike Barn renting golf carts.

So, they had rental carts in the 1980's.  I don't know about the 70's.  Remember they had the FWRR then too. 

TCD

Like you said, memories can be tricky.

I remember the train, swamp trail, marshmallow marsh, petting zoo, peacocks, etc, because those were things we did.

Since we aren't cart renters, that is a fuzzy area for me.

Like you said, memories can be tricky.

I remember the train, swamp trail, marshmallow marsh, petting zoo, peacocks, etc, because those were things we did.

Since we aren't cart renters, that is a fuzzy area for me.

Since you brought this up, I remember an old thread where I posted some of the Fort Wilderness check-in documents from 1973.  You can find that thread here:  http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/5922-cool-fort-wilderness-documents-from-1973/?p=142822

Those documents mention some of the recreational activities available to Fort Wilderness guests, and mention renting bikes and such.  I don't see anything about golf cart rentals.  You would think if this was available, it would be mentioned somewhere.  There are rules stating that two and three wheeled motorized vehicles were not allowed.  That suggests to me that guests were welcome to bring their own golf carts, but who knows?

TCD

Since you brought this up, I remember an old thread where I posted some of the Fort Wilderness check-in documents from 1973.  You can find that thread here:  http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/5922-cool-fort-wilderness-documents-from-1973/?p=142822

Those documents mention some of the recreational activities available to Fort Wilderness guests, and mention renting bikes and such.  I don't see anything about golf cart rentals.  You would think if this was available, it would be mentioned somewhere.  There are rules stating that two and three wheeled motorized vehicles were not allowed.  That suggests to me that guests were welcome to bring their own golf carts, but who knows?

TCD

Again the memory is fuzzy, but at one point, I didn't think motorcycles were allowed in the Fort unless they were trailered/stored.

Driven ones had to be left in the overflow lot.

Again the memory is fuzzy, but at one point, I didn't think motorcycles were allowed in the Fort unless they were trailered/stored.

Driven ones had to be left in the overflow lot.

Motorcycles were definitely prohibited from Fort Wilderness at one time.

This old Gazette from 1981 makes that very clear (see the second red star):

OldFWRules-1.jpg

My recollection (which may be faulty) is that this prohibition was still in place in the early 1990's.  It has since been dropped.

Oh, and the first paragraph in the second column mentions that guests can rent and  make reservations for electric cart rentals at the Bike Barn- so we know that there were cart rentals in 1981 (and probably earlier).

TCD

I could be wrong but I don't think I am. Our first trip was 79 no carts. Second trip was 81 and there were carts. Pretty sure there were Trams both times. And I think the carts were originally for hourly fun not transportation but again I could be wrong on that I will have to check with my dad.

Just putting this out there, when i was there last week, I noticed a sign on the walking path that said something to the tune of " no electric carts allowed on path" 

this makes me think either a. Gas carts wont be allowed in the near future, B. its a sign that needs to be updated to "no carts allowed on path"

Just putting this out there, when i was there last week, I noticed a sign on the walking path that said something to the tune of " no electric carts allowed on path" 

this makes me think either a. Gas carts wont be allowed in the near future, B. its a sign that needs to be updated to "no carts allowed on path"

I think it's B.

Whoever ordered the sign way back when was just thinking about the Fort rentals and not private ones.

Of course the sign doesn't stop people.

I've seen carts on the path on more than 1 occasion.

The flaw in your theory is that the sign you saw probably isn't new.

Here's a "No Electric Carts Beyond this Point" sign from 2010:

100_1441.jpg

TCD

The flaw in your theory is that the sign you saw probably isn't new.

Here's a "No Electric Carts Beyond this Point" sign from 2010:

100_1441.jpg

TCD

well i can tell you this sign was ignored on Saturday night, there was an unofficial cart parade, and after they drove in/out of every loop honking their horns they all parked here until after the fireworks at 10 pm

well i can tell you this sign was ignored on Saturday night, there was an unofficial cart parade, and after they drove in/out of every loop honking their horns they all parked here until after the fireworks at 10 pm

Maybe they had gas carts?

j/k

Actually, I don't think that sign is there anymore.  I think they use a sandwich-board type sign now, and they let golf carts drive down the sidewalk to the edge of the sand.  Back in the good old days, Brian (may he rest in peace) used to be on duty right at that sign, and carts absolutely were not allowed on that sidewalk.  But, you have to pay a guy like Brian.  It's more profitable to just let guests do as they please.

TCD

Maybe they had gas carts?

j/k

Actually, I don't think that sign is there anymore.  I think they use a sandwich-board type sign now, and they let golf carts drive down the sidewalk to the edge of the sand.  Back in the good old days, Brian (may he rest in peace) used to be on duty right at that sign, and carts absolutely were not allowed on that sidewalk.  But, you have to pay a guy like Brian.  It's more profitable to just let guests do as they please.

TCD

I can confirm the sandwich sign. We park over there just before the sand along with several others to watch the fireworks.

I'm surprised they let that fly.  They supposedly made a big deal this year about telling the group of people that take over a cabin loop every year that they were NOT allowed to have their unofficial golf cart parade any longer. And I've seen other reports of Fort security/rangers cracking down on things that resembled impromptu cart parades recently as well.

I think they use a sandwich-board type sign now, and they let golf carts drive down the sidewalk to the edge of the sand. 

It was there last month.

I'm surprised they let that fly.  They supposedly made a big deal this year about telling the group of people that take over a cabin loop every year that they were NOT allowed to have their unofficial golf cart parade any longer. And I've seen other reports of Fort security/rangers cracking down on things that resembled impromptu cart parades recently as well.

It was there last month.

4 carts is only a group right not a parade? or did we have 5 or 6? I dont know why I am asking. I think I was the chaperone. LOL