I get wicked motion sickness, doesn't matter how slow and/or boring it is.  Happens to me riding in the back of a car too - which may explain why I drive so often.  LOL

I've managed to pull off the 2 Harry Potter rides at UO, but mostly because there's some actual ride in between the virtual stuff.  And even then, it's a bit dodgy. Even with Soarin I can't look down towards the bottom of the screen.

What's crazy is that I can ride the most intense actual roller coaster without any trouble at all.

Sounds like you might have a version of seasickness.  The problem at sea is when your eyes are telling you something different than your inner ears or your feet (or your behind in this case...  LOL )

Last cruise I was on I had no problem on the ship, but when I got off at a port I got "landsick"......   Really surprised me because I have never had anything like that.  I had to go sit down at a cafe and close my eyes until the ground stopped going up and down in my mind......  LOL

Sounds like you might have a version of seasickness.  The problem at sea is when your eyes are telling you something different than your inner ears or your feet (or your behind in this case...  LOL )

Exactly.  My job is developing flight simulators.  One of the biggest issues is making sure the motion platform and the video are as accurately synchronized as possible.  People get nauseous when their eyes see movement that is different from what the inner ear senses.  The greater the difference, the more people get sick.  I've worked on ship simulation systems that have huge screens and the full ship bridge but no motion.  If you set a high sea state and get the ship rocking visually, people will get sick.  Land sickness when you get off of a ship occurs because the inner ear is still telling you there is motion (even though there is not) and your eyes see that there is no motion.

Some people are more sensitive than others.  I can ride pretty much anything.  My wife loves rides, but Mission Space ruined her for the day, Star Tours makes her queasy, and even Tower of Terror makes her green. Yet she has no problem with Space Mountain and Thunder Mountain.

In these virtual reality rides the frame rate can also result in some people getting motion sickness who would normally do fine on a roller coaster. Even though they might not be conscience of it the frames don't exactly sync to the ride movement but the brain still detects it and you end up with motion sickness. Another thing that exacerbates the problem with many of these rides is the lack of a real horizon. While they might have a horizon it tends to move where we expect it to be in the same place when we go to look for it. Again the result is motion sickness for those susceptible and sometimes not so susceptible to it.

Exactly.  My job is developing flight simulators.  One of the biggest issues is making sure the motion platform and the video are as accurately synchronized as possible.  People get nauseous when their eyes see movement that is different from what the inner ear senses.  The greater the difference, the more people get sick.  I've worked on ship simulation systems that have huge screens and the full ship bridge but no motion.  If you set a high sea state and get the ship rocking visually, people will get sick.  Land sickness when you get off of a ship occurs because the inner ear is still telling you there is motion (even though there is not) and your eyes see that there is no motion.

Some people are more sensitive than others.  I can ride pretty much anything.  My wife loves rides, but Mission Space ruined her for the day, Star Tours makes her queasy, and even Tower of Terror makes her green. Yet she has no problem with Space Mountain and Thunder Mountain.

I'm kindof the same way. If the simulator is not spot on, I get green. Body Wars was obviously off and I couldn't do that one. Star Tours before the rehab was getting off, so had to quit riding. The refurb is pretty good, and I can ride again, but only once in a while, never back to back.

I can't really do either side of Mission Space. The centrifuge is not what bothers me, it is the simulator dodging the asteroids that gets me, and that doesn't change on either side. Which is a shame, because I LOVE the launch. It is awesome!

And once again, I learned something new here!  :)

... My wife loves rides, but Mission Space ruined her for the day, Star Tours makes her queasy, and even Tower of Terror makes her green. Yet she has no problem with Space Mountain and Thunder Mountain.

And I can ride Tower of Terror over and over and over ... and have!  ;)

Another thing that exacerbates the problem with many of these rides is the lack of a real horizon. While they might have a horizon it tends to move where we expect it to be in the same place when we go to look for it. Again the result is motion sickness for those susceptible and sometimes not so susceptible to it.

Interesting!  The one thing that allows me to be able to ride Soarin and the Harry Potter rides is looking straight out at whatever "horizon" there is and not focus on the peripheral stuff going by.  It's pretty easy on Soarin (plus you're not moving all that much), a bit trickier in the VR sections of the Harry Potter rides.  The plus side with those is, because the ride is actually moving on a track for real the entire time (vs simulated motion in a ride vehicle like on Star Tours) if I close my eyes it's fine.  If I close my eyes on something like Star Tours it's worse.

Star Tours before the rehab was getting off, so had to quit riding. The refurb is pretty good, and I can ride again, but only once in a while, never back to back.

Good to know!  I may have to give it another shot.

I can ride some roller coasters.  Usually I can't ride anything that goes around in circles.  At Disney I can usually ride BTM no prob, but the one & only time I rode RnR I came really, really close to throwing up.  Have ridden Everest a few times, most with no problem, but as I mentioned in my trip report I threw up this last time.  Space Mt. made me feel bad in 2014, so I didn't ride it this time.  Harry Potter made me start to feel sick right at the beginning, so I closed my eyes the whole rest of the time.  Haven't ridden Star Tours or whatever the body one is/was called since the 90s when I almost got sick.  I did do the less intense M:S in 2014 with no issues, but I almost got sick this time in the stationary seats of the Minion ride.

Have had problems with 3-D movies. Can't really read in the car, but can be on iPad unless we are in traffic and Mr. CJH gets super touchy on the braking.  

Did not really have a problem on our Disney cruise, but I took Bonine every night and had to pull out those bracelets with the pressure points a couple of times. It did take me 5 days back on land before I stopped being swimmy-headed.  Interestingly, we were at dinner when we left port, and I said, oh, we just left, and no one else at our table of 8 had felt it. 

I know some people have motion sickness as kids and outgrow it, while others never have a problem until they get older.  I have had it my entire life. Also, it's weird how it affects people differently.  One friend insists on driving everywhere because she gets car sick, but she can ride any roller coaster at all with no problem. I have seen this first hand as we rode a big one at Carowinds together once. I broke out into a cold sweat and had to go sit down for a while to keep from throwing up and she was like, let's go again!  And my oldest son has gotten sick after a long car ride, after M:S, after Everest, but is fine with Harry Potter & Space Mt.

PS - I can usually ride Soarin' with only a threat of feeling bad.  Did not get to this last time as we needed a break the day I had the FP scheduled. I hate the EPCOT tiers.

....  If I close my eyes on something like Star Tours it's worse.

I first started flying acrobatics with my Dad when I was 9 or 10 years old. He was still in the Air Force then and once a month or so we would go down and rent a T-34 from the base aero club. We kept it up after he retired and I moved out of the house. I just couldn't afford to fly anymore on a starting salary then the rest of life came along. It was doing acrobatics where I learned about not closing your eyes or spending to much time looking at the control panel which is a natural reaction  (especially when you are of an age where you can barley see over the cockpit side). Instead I learned it was better to always be looking around where you had constant fixed points of reference to keep your inner ear and eyes in sync. The horizon is one of those points.

To take a tangent. One of my favorite training tests was a disorientation chair. It was used to get pilots to trust their instruments and not their senses. It had silent bearings and you would sit in it with blindfold on. The chair would start to rotate and it was your job to indicate the direction you were turning. During the run the rotation direction and speed would be changed. Without sight it was impossible to determine which way you were rotating after a few seconds. It didn't matter how good a person was you always failed.

... I learned it was better to always be looking around where you had constant fixed points of reference to keep your inner ear and eyes in sync. The horizon is one of those points.

Makes sense!  In one of the HP rides you're "following" Harry flying on his broomstick.  If I focus on him and not all the scenery whizzing by, I'm usually fine.

There's a flight simulator company in the building where my office is, maybe I can see if they'd let me practice.  ;)

The disorientation chair sounds  crazypants. 

To take a tangent. One of my favorite training tests was a disorientation chair. It was used to get pilots to trust their instruments and not their senses. It had silent bearings and you would sit in it with blindfold on. The chair would start to rotate and it was your job to indicate the direction you were turning. During the run the rotation direction and speed would be changed. Without sight it was impossible to determine which way you were rotating after a few seconds. It didn't matter how good a person was you always failed.

I think I was fine on Everest until it got pitch black and I couldn't tell which way I was going.

Which is why many good pilots have flown perfectly good airplanes right into the ground or ocean during bad weather. They lose their visual cues and forget to keep an eye on ALL of their instruments, trusting their own senses instead.....

That is apparently what happened with JFK jr off the coast of Marthas Vineyard.

We were at EPCOT today to see our 2 nephews racing in the Marathon. While waiting for them to shower and relax, we spent some time in the park. We headed over to the Land/Soarin Pavilion to catch the boat ride and grab something to eat. Approaching the pavilion there was the Soarin closed sign out front and there was a CM standing near it. Inside near the entrance to Soarin was the same sign with another CM standing next to it telling the clueless visitors that the ride was closed. She wasn't too busy. I would like that job, just standing around most of the time not doing a thing except telling people what they didn't bother reading.

PS, don't know,if it was due to the Marathon parking road blockage mess, but the park sure wasn't crowded.

I did Star Tours once.  (oof)

I've never attempted Mission:Space on either side.

The first one I tried was Body Wars, the last one was the Polar "somethingorother" one at Sea World.  I  gave up after that.

The Polar ride at Sea world has to be the worst ride ever. Every body in our party felt sick after riding it. As a kid body wars bothered me but Star Tours never has.

Mission Space I have done both versions, spinning made me sick, but the non spinning was no problem.

The Polar ride at Sea world has to be the worst ride ever. Every body in our party felt sick after riding it.

Ok, so it wasn't just me then, because that one was a killer.

I have done both versions, spinning made me sick, but the non spinning was no problem.

Good to hear.  Maybe I'll pop some dramamine and give it a whirl one of these days.