I'd heard bits of this discussed in regards to the Contemporary resort and assumed people were confusing valet parking for something else, but according to this article, it's actually a test...

Disney Testing Paid Parking at Walt Disney World Resort Hotels

Disney is now testing the concept of paid parking for non-resort guests at Walt Disney World. The concept was recently tested at Disney’s Contemporary Resort and will be tested again soon at Disney’s Boardwalk. The test is the latest attempt by Disney to control parking at the resorts, possibly preventing guests from lying that they are visiting the resorts when they are actually using it as a place to park before visiting one of the Walt Disney World theme parks. Under the possible new policy, guests without reservations or who are not resort guests would have to pay the parking fee in order to park at the resort.

Paid parking would still not apply to those with dining reservations, Tables in Wonderland members (who get free valet when dining at a resort restaurant only), and obviously resort hotel guests.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2015/12/disney-testing-paid-parking-at-walt-disney-world-resort-hotels/

They were doing the same at Boardwalk on 12/15.  The "only spaces" available were with the valet parking.  Sort of like the full lots at HS.

There were plenty of open spots that we saw.

If there is no time limit, then it's actually not a bad deal.  I think it's $25 instead of the $20 at the lots, and you don't have to take a tram or walk for miles.

If there is no time limit, then it's actually not a bad deal.  I think it's $25 instead of the $20 at the lots, and you don't have to take a tram or walk for miles.

True, but for the people doing it just to skirt the parking fee altogether, it will probably be a deterrent.

For folks looking for convenience, the extra $5 probably won't matter. But I'd imagine that's mostly just monorail resorts.  The others aren't all that much more convenient to the parks than parking in the lot.  Example... by the time you parked at Beach/Yacht or Boardwalk, walked through the resort, then took a boat or walked to the back entrance to Epcot, you might as well have parked in the lot. At least then, after trudging through the park for hours, when you're leaving you can hop a tram most of the way to your car.

I'd imagine the Contemporary has the biggest parking problem, as it's definitely the most convenient to a park and has a relatively small lot.

We mostly only resort hop by car if we're headed somewhere for dinner, which would still be ok with an ADR.  Looks like for just visiting, we'll have to go with the 2 bus shuffle via Disney Springs - at least for the resorts outside of the ones around MK/EP.

Now to me if it says resort guests, with your Fort parking pass/active MB, they should let you park in their lots.

Or am I thinking way to out of the box...

I doubt your out of the box since you get free parking at the parks anyway. No reason to "cheat" on the parking. Same for AP holders.

Well let's just hope it deters more people than it attracts.  Some of the resorts are hard to find parking at times and when I'm a paying resort quest to cheap to pay for valet I don't want to have to park in the back forty. We stayed at YC once and had to park at BC and that was a real pain.

Well let's just hope it deters more people than it attracts.  Some of the resorts are hard to find parking at times and when I'm a paying resort quest to cheap to pay for valet I don't want to have to park in the back forty. We stayed at YC once and had to park at BC and that was a real pain.

I prefer the back 40 way less door dings in my truck.

I originally read this to mean any Disney resort guests could access any hotel for free (in addition to TIW and people with ADRs). That I wouldn't have a problem with at all.

bye bye freeloaders!

That was my thinking. Hope we are right.
  • 3 weeks later...

I'd heard bits of this discussed in regards to the Contemporary resort and assumed people were confusing valet parking for something else, but according to this article, it's actually a test...

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2015/12/disney-testing-paid-parking-at-walt-disney-world-resort-hotels/

When we went on December 30th to try to get into ESPN we were told that this rule was in effect for all who did not have reservations.  I told them I was going to stand in line for a seat to watch the Auburn game and make my son suffer because he chose to sleep the morning away.  They told me if I wanted to do that it would be $25.  Since I was staying at Bonnett Creek, I was not considered staying at a Disney resort even though I was on property.  So, I politely told him no thanks and went and watched the game at the pool bar at the Hilton Wyndham Grand where I was staying and gave them the $50 for lunch I was planning on spending with Disney while watching the game.  It all worked out in the end, as the son went swimming when he realized the game became boring and his interest turned to the teenager girls in the pool.  It's all good.  I have my reservations already for NYE at the Fort next year.  I am not playing that game again.