Forums Software Update 1/25/16. Can't log in? Look here!

We had a pretty major update to the site today. While we're still getting everything settled, all the articles, posts, and PMs from before are still here- they might have just moved around a bit. Give us a bit of time to get everything back where you'd like it to be.

IF YOU CAN'T LOG IN:
As part of the update, we had to consolidate login names and display names. If you were used to logging in using one name and seeing your posts under a different name, then you may find it difficult to log in. For a variety of security-related reasons, I chose to keep the display names. (Some of you were logging in with your e-mail address, which is fine, but I don't feel right putting your e-mail address out there in public view where it can be harvested by spammers- which is what would have happened if I had kept login names.) If you can't log in,
HERE'S WHAT TO DO:

1. Use your former display name to log in with.
  2. Your password hasn't changed.
  3. If you can't remember your old display name or if it's not working, shoot me an e-mail at cwmajors at gmail dot com with as much of it as you can remember and I'll get you working again.

One small change folks may have noticed already is that the Info section where we store all kinds of good stuff, is now called Pages.

I'm going to see if I can tweak the format of that section when I have a chance, but in the meantime if you can't find something, give a shout.

17 hours ago, AuburnChris said:

We had a pretty major update to the site today. While we're still getting everything settled, all the articles, posts, and PMs from before are still here- they might have just moved around a bit. Give us a bit of time to get everything back where you'd like it to be.

IF YOU CAN'T LOG IN:
As part of the update, we had to consolidate login names and display names. If you were used to logging in using one name and seeing your posts under a different name, then you may find it difficult to log in. For a variety of security-related reasons, I chose to keep the display names. (Some of you were logging in with your e-mail address, which is fine, but I don't feel right putting your e-mail address out there in public view where it can be harvested by spammers- which is what would have happened if I had kept login names.) If you can't log in,
HERE'S WHAT TO DO:

1. Use your former display name to log in with.
  2. Your password hasn't changed.
  3. If you can't remember your old display name or if it's not working, shoot me an e-mail at cwmajors at gmail dot com with as much of it as you can remember and I'll get you working again.

Actually, I have always logged in with my OLD display name. It would not let me do that. I had to use my current display name.

5 minutes ago, PureTcrazy...rita said:

Actually, I have always logged in with my OLD display name. It would not let me do that. I had to use my current display name.

Yes going forward what ever you had listed last as your display name will be the one needed to login now. 

23 minutes ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

Yes going forward what ever you had listed last as your display name will be the one needed to login now. 

Of course! It's so simple and easy to understand!

(please note the sarcasm in the above sentence. It is drenched in sarcasm.)

So, some definitions:

USER NAME: What you logged in with before The Great Upgradening Of 2016

DISPLAY NAME: The name attached to your posts above your avatar- for all intents and purposes, your "public" name.

Before The Great Upgradening, you could have a USER NAME of, let's say, FortFiend71. But you had changed your DISPLAY NAME to be, for sake of argument, FortFiend....Larry.

When you went to log in, you'd log in as:

Username: FortFiend71
Password: cupcakes

After The Great Upgradening, that won't work. You'll have to log in with:

Username: FortFiend....Larry

Make sense now? I hope so.

1 hour ago, AuburnChris said:

...Before The Great Upgradening, you could have a USER NAME of, let's say, FortFiend71. But you had changed your DISPLAY NAME to be, for sake of argument, FortFiend....Larry.

When you went to log in, you'd log in as:

Username: FortFiend71

After The Great Upgradening, that won't work. You'll have to log in with:

Username: FortFiend....Larry

Best example of anything EVAH.

"The Great Upgradening" = brilliant

15 hours ago, AuburnJen said:

Also, SuperGeek aka AuburnChris will be changing (because Mo and I said he has to) the Pages tab back to Info shortly.  

As Buford T. Justice so eloquently put it "One s##t at a time Junior!"

I don't know what you're talking about. The Info tab has always been the Info tab. :ph34r:

Oceania has always been at war with Eurasia.

I see Info now. There is a problem though. When I pick the Info tab the tab turns white and I get the page but as soon as it is done loading the tab returns to purple and the Browse tab goes to white. Definitely makes it confusing as to what tab is really active.

After looking a bit further the tab returns to the tab you were on before selecting Info.  Take that back.

14 hours ago, keith_h said:

I see Info now. There is a problem though. When I pick the Info tab the tab turns white and I get the page but as soon as it is done loading the tab returns to purple and the Browse tab goes to white. Definitely makes it confusing as to what tab is really active.

After looking a bit further the tab returns to the tab you were on before selecting Info.  Take that back.

This is because the "Info" tab is secretly a link to the Browse -> Articles tab.

1 hour ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

Thanks for the help in signing in to the forum.  Took help from the big geek ;)

One thing I'm missing or maybe just not seeing, is the number of each post in the corner.

I dont see the number of the post either Gretchen but you can still share the post if thats what you are looking for. If you go to the top of the post you see 1 box connected to 2 boxes in the top right and if you click that it give you the link to share it. 

Thanks Jason, But that is not a problem for me, I don't do the share thing.  Is that share to facebook? 

I just like to know the # of the post where I am on the thread and if I need to leave the page I know which post to go back to.  Did that make any sense?  I did figure out the quote and multi-quote thing ;)

8 minutes ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

Thanks Jason, But that is not a problem for me, I don't do the share thing.  Is that share to facebook? 

I just like to know the # of the post where I am on the thread and if I need to leave the page I know which post to go back to.  Did that make any sense?  I did figure out the quote and multi-quote thing ;)

Gotcha. Not sure on that. I usually have 4 tabs open or more and jump around between them. I never really paid attention to the numbers. 

And yes if you wanted to share to facebook or if someone asked a question and you wanted to link them to the post with the answer. You could I suppose copy the link to share the last post you read and paste it in a temporary word document or notepad. Then you could use the link to get back to that post.

10 minutes ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

Gotcha. Not sure on that. I usually have 4 tabs open or more and jump around between them. I never really paid attention to the numbers. 

And yes if you wanted to share to facebook or if someone asked a question and you wanted to link them to the post with the answer. You could I suppose copy the link to share the last post you read and paste it in a temporary word document or notepad. Then you could use the link to get back to that post.

OK.

Sometimes I land in the midst of a thread and not having a number I have no idea  which page I'm on.  Haven't checked this, do we still get 20 posts per page?

OK so I checked and your last post is 21 so let's see where my new post lands.

When the Yukon Quest and Iditarod and then the red tale hawk's nest at Cornell start I'll be having 4-6 tabs open.   Priorities ;)

Edit to say:

This is now post #22 and still on first page.  Woo hoo lots more fiends will get first page bragging rights on trip reports!

Edited by fladogfan aka Gretchen
2 minutes ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

When the Yukon Quest and Iditarod and then the red tale hawk's nest at Cornell start I'll be having 4-6 tabs open.   Priorities ;)

I usually have multiple open cause I am working an playing at the same time. Course the more work I have the less playing I am doing. 

What are you trying to figure out about the mobile view? There's no separate "mobile skin" like there was before, you see the same page on mobile as you do on a desktop computer or a tablet. It's called "responsive design" in geek circles, and it means that the page adapts to the width of the screen it's on. You have all the features of the regular site on a phone or tablet.

You can actually see it working if you're on a desktop/laptop computer. Just scale the width of your browser down to make it thinner than it is tall and you'll see the site respond by moving things around.