Great Wolf Lodge coming to WDW

The Orlando Sentinel is reporting that the Great Wolf Lodge company has purchased 50 acres right across I-4 from Disney Springs:  http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/brinkmann-on-business/os-20160126-story.html

An affiliate of Great Wolf Resorts, a Wisconsin-based water park resort chain, has purchased about 50 acres near Walt Disney World for $23 million.

Back in November, Great Wolf told county officials it was contemplating its first resort in Florida.

Preliminary plans called for an 800-unit hotel, on 50 acres just across Interstate 4 from Disney Springs. Zoning on the property allows up to 1,400 hotel and timeshare units.

Great Wolf affiliate, GWR Orlando Property Owner, bought the land from Garrison Orlando Land LLC, according to county records.

"Great Wolf Resorts is always interested in expanding and bringing our unique indoor water park resorts to new markets. We are currently reviewing several viable options across the country and the Orlando area remains an option," said Susan Storey, communications director at Great Wolf, said at the time.

Great Wolf Resorts has 14 locations, mostly in colder climates where indoor water parks are big business, but the company may be planning an indoor-outdoor park in Florida.

The resorts have a rustic log cabin look, reminiscent of Disney’s Wilderness Lodge, and attractions like five-story water slides, wave pools and multi-level treehouses. It’s newest location is under construction in Colorado Springs.

Other attractions in the Great Wolf chain feature multiple restaurants, conference space, ropes and climbing, miniature golf, kids spas, and mini bowling.

Great Wolf was represented locally by Patrick Christiansen, attorney with the Akerman law firm.

New York-based Garrison Investment Group previously bought the property from UBS Bank for $8.75 million in 2010, marketed by CBRE.

The property is adjacent to the 1,037-unit Sheraton Vistana Resort Villas and just north of the Marriott Sabal Palms resort and golf course, and Marriott World Center.

The real winner in this deal are the folks who bought that land for $8.75 in 2010 and just unloaded it for $23 million. 

Not too shabby.

TCD

15 minutes ago, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

Interesting. That seems like a weird place for it. 

Maybe not.

This company is on a building spree.

When I was in Anaheim late last year, I saw that they are building a huge one just a few miles from Disneyland.

According to this article, they are spending $250 million on it, and it will be opening in March: http://www.ocregister.com/articles/water-684331-wolf-great.html

Room costs are substantially less than what Disneyland charges, and they have way more recreation and room options geared toward families.

With WDW's current room rates, and few perks offered to on-site guests, the Great Wolf Resort could be really popular for families.

TCD

As the article noted, most of their current locations are in "colder climates" - presumably where there isn't a whole lot of competition.

Diving into the pool near WDW is a whole other animal in terms of competition - not just with Disney but with all the other parks, hotels, resorts, etc.  It'll be interesting to see if/how they compete. 

Doesn't look like a lot of property, and if they bought it all, it's like an upside down L shape.

Have you all seen the new waterpark opening to the west of Disney?  It's on the N side of I-4 on one of those roads with all the condo's/apartments and the big overpass before you get to the Championsgate exit.  At first I though it was going to be part of a new hotel/resort, but I've seen signs around 535 advertising it.

37 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Doesn't look like a lot of property, and if they bought it all, it's like an upside down L shape.

Where are you looking to see the property?  The article says it's 50 acres.

Looking at the Orange County Property Appraiser's site, I think the parcel I circled is the one purchased by the GWL people:

gwl%20land_zps4lxsfier.jpg

In this screen shot, just above the parcel I circled, you can see the size of the parcels occupied by some of the other hotels around Disney Springs- the GWL parcel is larger than all of them.

TCD

1 hour ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

As the article noted, most of their current locations are in "colder climates" - presumably where there isn't a whole lot of competition.

Diving into the pool near WDW is a whole other animal in terms of competition - not just with Disney but with all the other parks, hotels, resorts, etc.  It'll be interesting to see if/how they compete. 

I agree. If I'm going to FL I don't want to be at an inside water park. To me that's a do when it's cold/not warm enough thing. We have 2 indoor water parks (not Great Wolf) within 35 mins of my house. We have season passes to the one and will pop over for a few hours. It's great but also 8 months out of the year here you don't want to swim outdoors. 

It seems like a sound business decision to me. By building there is lets them tap into their existing customer base when they go to visit Disney. They also appear to have a deal going with Diamond Resorts time share so this would let them tap into this market as well. While I don't think it will have an overall economic impact on Disney or the other big amusement parks at all, I still think it will be successful as it fills a niche for the middle class folks being priced out of WDW facilities. 

I agree with Mo and Beckers that it would be strange to build an indoor waterpark in Florida, but that's exactly what they did in Anaheim- and they're using the angle that they can offer a weatherproof vacation: http://www.ocregister.com/articles/water-614756-park-wolf.html

There's nothing stopping them from building the waterpark, or at least parts of it, outside in Florida.

It will be interesting to see what they do.

But, I think it will be a popular destination resort for folks already familiar with the brand.

TCD

8 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I agree with Mo and Beckers that it would be strange to build an indoor waterpark in Florida, but that's exactly what they did in Anaheim- and they're using the angle that they can offer a weatherproof vacation: http://www.ocregister.com/articles/water-614756-park-wolf.html

That's pretty smart.  After all, even Disney only has one waterpark open in winter and even then, they sometimes close due to weather.

49 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Where are you looking to see the property?  The article says it's 50 acres.

Looking at the Orange County Property Appraiser's site, I think the parcel I circled is the one purchased by the GWL people:

gwl%20land_zps4lxsfier.jpg

In this screen shot, just above the parcel I circled, you can see the size of the parcels occupied by some of the other hotels around Disney Springs- the GWL parcel is larger than all of them.

TCD

I guess because of the shape, it just doesn't look that big to me.  That Marriott Sabal looks a lot bigger.

2 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

That's pretty smart.  After all, even Disney only has one waterpark open in winter and even then, they sometimes close due to weather.

Not to mention that there are almost daily thunderstorms in central Florida in the summer.

I can remember several times that we visited the WDW waterparks where we had to get out of the water and get under shelter while storms were in the area.

TCD

25 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Not to mention that there are almost daily thunderstorms in central Florida in the summer.

I can remember several times that we visited the WDW waterparks where we had to get out of the water and get under shelter while storms were in the area.

TCD

I don't know if it was just an extra safety precaution or what but the indoor pool here they make (or at least used to make) everyone get out of if there was lightening within 10 miles.  If they don't make people get out for lightening then that would be the only perk to an indoor water park I could see.  Having been in/around the tourist business my entire life I can tell you it doesn't matter the temperature or weather, 90% of the tourist will be on the beach/ by the pool trying to get their "Florida Vacation Tans".  I mean how else can you prove to everyone back home you were in FL?  

(No offense to tourist) haha

2 hours ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

If they don't make people get out for lightening then that would be the only perk to an indoor water park I could see.  

Another perk is not fighting with kids to put sun tan lotion on, or the horrid smell of sun tan lotion and that stickiness of sun tan lotion, basically anything to do with sun tan lotion. I hate sun tan lotion.

Best Regards,

Norm

8 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

TCD

After doing 2 summer trips to Disney with bad weather. A  indoor waterpark sounds nice. We have one of these in Texas but we never go to it. The few times I have thought about it we went to Disney instead.

So Norm, how do you feel about sun tan lotion? B)

This was one of the great benefits of the weather this year in Nov. we swam every night and we didn't have to go through the hassle and waste of time of going through the ritual of putting lotion on the three of them and us. So much more fun and relaxing swimming at night.

Best Regards,

Norm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

55 minutes ago, parrothead7368 aka Norm said:

This was one of the great benefits of the weather this year in Nov. we swam every night and we didn't have to go through the hassle and waste of time of going through the ritual of putting lotion on the three of them and us. So much more fun and relaxing swimming at night.

Best Regards,

Norm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This November was the first time we've ever gone swimming at the Fort. We went over to the cabin pool a few nights.  Practically had the whole place to ourselves.

As if on cue, Disney has announced that Blizzard Beach is closed from January 27-30th because of inclement weather.  And Typhoon Lagoon is closed for its annual refurbishment.  So, no water parks for anyone this weekend at Disney World: http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/blizzard-beach/news/28jan2016-blizzard-beach-closed-due-to-poor-weather-conditions.htm

These Great Wolf people are on to something here.

TCD

22 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Maybe it's not so much the weather, as a cost factor?

Both weekends people (not a lot but some) were swimming in the hotel pools, even though we were bundled up.

Perhaps Disney figures not enough people will show up to make it economical to open and staff the parks,as opposed to worrying about health concerns?

I think that saving labor and transportation costs are definitely a factor.

It's the same reason that they close Kali River Rapids for a long refurbishment every year in the January/February time frame (and it never looks different when they reopen).  I'm sure there are plenty of guests who would ride KRR in cold weather, but Disney gets to pocket a bunch of money by cutting back on staff and operating costs.

TCD