Great Wolf Lodge coming to WDW

5 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I think that saving labor and transportation costs are definitely a factor.

It's the same reason that they close Kali River Rapids for a long refurbishment every year in the January/February time frame (and it never looks different when they reopen).  I'm sure there are plenty of guests who would ride KRR in cold weather, but Disney gets to pocket a bunch of money by cutting back on staff and operating costs.

TCD

And more cast members take it in their wallets.

8 hours ago, shoreline99 said:

Ugh. I hate GWL. We've been to the one in the Poconos a couple of times and it makes Disney look inexpensive. Plus, there is so much chlorine in the water park my eyes hurt just thinking about it.

Every time we look at it, we price it out and say nope, not going. The 2 by my house aren't as spectacular but my pass for the year was $59. 

I don't know if it was just when I priced it, but I've looked at the one in NC for a weekend trip a few times, and it was around $250 a night. 

Most people I know who have gone to one use it as a mini vacation (1-2 nights) and don't leave the property. 

That's what makes me surprised. 

We have a GWL about 10 min from our house. We have stayed there a few times over Election Day or Veteran's Day.  Have not ever been in the summer, but 2 things that come to mind about indoor vs. outdoor in summer (yes, at least one has been mentioned): sunscreen & no blazing hot concrete or pavement to walk on.  

I used to know the GM or asst GM here, but he moved on to the Kansas City one.  I do know from him that there are different size GWLs.  Not sure how the Orlando one will compare in size to the Concord one, but it is small compared to BB or TL, so not sure how it would compete.  The room theming is nice.  

On 1/29/2016 at 9:41 PM, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

I don't know if it was just when I priced it, but I've looked at the one in NC for a weekend trip a few times, and it was around $250 a night. 

Most people I know who have gone to one use it as a mini vacation (1-2 nights) and don't leave the property. 

That's what makes me surprised. 

I know I have never paid that much, but I definitely got a good deal when I knew the Asst GM.  Also, they have "sales" certain times of the year that we would get emails or mailers for.

I remember the food was pretty expensive, so we (and friends) would just drive out and bring fast food back.  

My kids are too old now for it.

But yeah, I'm not sure how it will do in Orlando.

10 hours ago, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

Weird... It just takes me down to $353 a night. Do they give you a better deal because you live in NC?

I don't know why I see a lower rate. At $300+ per night I wouldn't go either but then again I wouldn't spend that much per night on a room at Disney. Looking at pictures of the standard and themed rooms they look about the same level as a value resort at WDW. If I were looking for this type of stay even after you include a ticket to the park the value resorts at WDW come in $100+ less than GWL. So, and I can't believe I'm saying this, WDW appears to be the better value.

12 hours ago, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

Weird... It just takes me down to $353 a night. Do they give you a better deal because you live in NC?

That's what I got too, and I live in NC, so why do they love keith h?

I just checked for mid-week in Nov (which is the times we went) and it is cheaper for sure, so I guess with discounts that is why I didn't know. I don't remember how we initially got on their email list. It may have been after staying there. But they would send out emails every so often with sales, and that's when my friends & I would book.

Have you tried calling them to see if that's the best they can do that weekend? Hotels will go lower if they're trying to fill the rooms. 

In colder climates and areas with not as much to do I could see the draw of having an indoor on premises Waterpark where that is what you are going to the resort for. But in Orlando there is so much to do with all the theme parks and other attractions I don't see a resort with an indoor water park being that big of a draw at those prices. Most people are going to Orlando for the theme parks, add on top of that all the small attractions and tourist traps (the eye, outlet malls, old town, fun parks) there's an almost endless list of things to do and just as long of a list of places to stay.

I think it will be more of a gimmick in Orlando to get people in than it will be a destination.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

In colder climates and areas with not as much to do I could see the draw of having an indoor on premises Waterpark where that is what you are going to the resort for. But in Orlando there is so much to do with all the theme parks and other attractions I don't see a resort with an indoor water park being that big of a draw at those prices. Most people are going to Orlando for the theme parks, add on top of that all the small attractions and tourist traps (the eye, outlet malls, old town, fun parks) there's an almost endless list of things to do and just as long of a list of places to stay.

I think it will be more of a gimmick in Orlando to get people in than it will be a destination.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ah, but don't forget the thinned skinned Floridians that bundle up when the temps dip below 70!  Maybe they figure that's who will fill their resort, plus the sun tan lotion haters and people that like to swim but avoid the sun.  I've seen some pale Great Britianers that just about glow they are so pale.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got an email with some more promo codes. Checked their website and they appear to be different than the special offers on there.

For 2/28-4/28 (book by 2/26) Family Suites starting at $149/night + $50 resort credit - SAVE

now-4/28 (book by 2/26) FS start at $120/night select Mon-Wed - GR8DEAL

These may be the same ones we already talked about but it looks like they opened some more dates with them.

• 4 weeks later...

There is a GWL near us here in PA.  Have not tried it yet, I looked into it the first year we moved up here but it so happened they had a bed bug problem and it creeped me out enough to say forget it.  They of course remediated that issue long ago and it is a very popular place.  Might see about going next winter, I see groupons for it a lot.

As far as the FL location, it is odd to me also to have an indoor water park.  Then again, having lived down there for many years and when my kids were very small, I might have considered it for reason already mentioned here - avoiding hot pavement, direct sun, and the thunderstorms.  It seems like it would also be easier to keep track of your kids than at an outdoor one.  The theming is a little weird for a place plunked next to I-4, but again, if it's nice enough people will probably pay to stay there due to proximity to WDW.